GP-35

  • Joe DAmato
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2005
      I posted some new photo's in Micro New file of the GP-35. More shots
      are on our web site.

      Enjoy..

      JOe
    • zbarr474
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        Can someone give us an explanation of what GP-35 or GP-40 etc means.

        Many thanks.
      • bscaro
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zbarr474" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:
          > Can someone give us an explanation of what GP-35 or GP-40 etc means.
          >
          > Many thanks.

          GP means 'General Purpose'. Hence they're often called 'Geeps',
          pronounced as 'jeeps'.

          The number is a little arbitary and got more confusing with the
          GP30. This model was allegedly numbered '30' because it had 30
          improvements over the earlier GP20, and because it sounded more
          powerful than the original plan to call it the 'GP22' - given that
          the competition had just released their groundbreaking 'U25B'.

          From the the GP30 on, EMD used a simple number progression in 5s and
          10s in numbering their models. So I think GP35 was just the next
          number up.

          It got even more arbitrary because they decided they needed to
          indicate that some models were non turbo - so you got GP38 instead of
          40.

          I am not sure whether the rationale was in place when they came up
          with the name 'GP28' for the non-turbo GP35 model, which meant that
          the GP28 was numbered just below the GP30 even though it was a later
          model !

          But I guess they wanted to indicate that the GP28 was not as powerful
          as the GP30.

          The nine series, as in 'GP39', was used for special needs/custom
          models. And some experimental units ended up being X as in 'GP40X'.

          Pretty confusing . . .

          Ben

          Apparently they decided to use
        • Roger Shimada
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zbarr474" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:
            > Can someone give us an explanation of what GP-35 or GP-40 etc means.

            The GP (General Purpose) series were pretty much the replacement for
            the E (originally for "Eighteen-hundred horsepower", passenger
            service) and F (Freight, primarily) locomotives by EMD (ElectroMotive
            Division). The Es and Fs are cowl units (sides are on the edges),
            making switching difficult (the engineer can't see out the back).

            If you're starting to learn about contemporary locos, check out Gerald
            Foster's book "A Field Guide to Trains", ISBN 0-395-70112-0. It's a
            little dated now (1996), but it's the best book I found that describes
            and illustrates trains for the beginner spotter.

            Eventually you may wind up with Greg McDonnell's "Field Guide to
            Modern Diesel Locomotives" which is a great reference, but is only
            useful to a spotter if you already know about locos. ("SD50: Dynamic
            brake located between cab and central air-intake. No blister.")
          • zbarr474
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
              EXTREMELY NICE detaied review of MTL's GP-35 in the November 2005
              "Model Railroad News". ...states this is a standard that others will
              have to match...