Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Objectives for Constant Intensity Lighting & my Z lighting experiences

  • Jim Hinds
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 5:33 PM
      A standard LED is Mars-capable.

      My attempts to grind down two LEDs, bond them together, and drive the LEDs individually with various out-of-phase Mars patterns ended in bad results. I don't know how to describe my results, but it certainly didn't look like a Mars light.

      Miniatronics sells something that ATTEMPTS this, and I'll let you decide whether it looks like anything that ever ran on a railroad. However, it may look great to some people, and you may like it better than any other option you discover. Some hobby shops have a demo unit you can evaluate.

      If you would really like to pursue this, here's a thought: Get two 603-size LEDs, bond them either face-to-face or back-to-back, drive them with whatever two different patterns you have in mind, and see if you like the results. That size LED is VERY small, and two bonded as I described will probably fit INSIDE the headlight hole of a MicroTrains F7. The key factor here is that a great deal of light comes out of the ENDS of these LEDs.

      Let us know if you try this.

      Jim Hinds