Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin Z Track

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1 9:32 AM
      Uwe:

      > Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
      > Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
      > true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.
      >
      > How safe are those installations?

      Remember, I'm the electrical "conservative" in the crowd. It just goes
      against my fabric to risk tearing into finished scenery at some future point to dig
      out a wire, or component, that has failed. I can never, ever, get the
      scenery to look right afterwards. Sort of like trying to patch a crack in the wall
      of a house. You can always tell you've repaired it.

      The 1N4001 is a 50 volt version, and I suspect it is in the range of
      "acceptable" solutions. Its 1 amp current rating is probably just fine for Marklin
      and MTL (MRC 1300) type packs. It you move up to a higher output power supply
      (amps) I would be more concerned.

      On this list, where heavens-know-what power packs a given person is using, I
      default to the higher 3 amp recommendation and have the confidence that I
      won't get a fire-and-brimstone email from someone in the future because the diode
      failed.

      The cost of the 1N4001, 1N4002 and 1N5401 are identical at most retailers.
      You choose.

      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Brian Redman
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1 4:30 PM
        On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
        > from Märklin?

        Hi Uwe,

        If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need to
        look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might be
        listed there.

        brian
      • tplgo08291993
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1 6:44 PM
          Uwe,

          I have the small shed (8981) and that piece of track was included. The
          instructions do not indicate a number. I just looked in the 2005
          presentation book and I didn't see an individual track part. Also, the
          descriptions for the train sheds indicate that:
          "special track section(s) included to automatically stop locomotives."
          (number of pieces corespond to shed size)

          Tony
          Springfield, VA

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Brian Redman <yahoo@e...> wrote:

          > On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
          > > from Märklin?
          > >

          > Hi Uwe,
          >
          > If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need
          > look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might
          be
          > listed there.
          >
          > brian
        • Robert Toole
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1 6:48 PM
            Uwe,
            I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
            the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
            36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
            copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
            to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
            experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
            Robert
            "LoadToad"

            --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:
            > Hello all,
            >
            > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and
            > roundhouses have a item#
            > from M�rklin?
            >

            > --
            > GreetingZ
            > Uwe
            >

            > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
            > Small DoseZ!
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Brian Redman
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1 11:18 PM
              On May 1, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Robert Toole wrote:

              > Uwe,
              > I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
              > the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
              > 36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
              > copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
              > to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
              > experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
              > Robert
              > "LoadToad"

              Thanks for the part number, Robert. My version of the 8980
              instructions (68 676 TN 0877 ka) didn't show the number.

              You don't necessarily have to solder that diode lead if you don't
              want to - although having (and knowing how to use) a soldering iron/
              gun/station can come in pretty handy. You might be able to gently
              bend the leads of the diode so the detached one is forced against the
              rail. That's worked for me in the past. If it turns out not to be
              reliable enough for your purposes then you can go back and do it right.

              brian
            • Wilhelm Fritz
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2 12:34 PM
                Hi,
                the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                Regards,
                Willy

                Message 7 of 18 , May 2 3:30 PM
                  On May 2, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Wilhelm Fritz wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                  Hi Willy,

                  The underside of the track ties just reads 8500. But as Robert
                  discovered, the part number is 36933.

                  brian

                • zscaleinfo
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3 9:53 AM
                    This is not true with many special tracks of identical dimensions, the ties
                    of which are manufactured using the same mould. For instance, if you check
                    the bottom of 8594, the 660mm long straight track piece, it has actually
                    numbers 8505 (220 mm long section) and in three sections.

                    Tapani Tuominen
                    E-mail: trains@...