Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin Z Track

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2005
      Hello all,

      BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
      from Märklin?

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2005
        Uwe:

        > Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
        > Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
        > true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.
        >
        > How safe are those installations?

        Remember, I'm the electrical "conservative" in the crowd. It just goes
        against my fabric to risk tearing into finished scenery at some future point to dig
        out a wire, or component, that has failed. I can never, ever, get the
        scenery to look right afterwards. Sort of like trying to patch a crack in the wall
        of a house. You can always tell you've repaired it.

        The 1N4001 is a 50 volt version, and I suspect it is in the range of
        "acceptable" solutions. Its 1 amp current rating is probably just fine for Marklin
        and MTL (MRC 1300) type packs. It you move up to a higher output power supply
        (amps) I would be more concerned.

        On this list, where heavens-know-what power packs a given person is using, I
        default to the higher 3 amp recommendation and have the confidence that I
        won't get a fire-and-brimstone email from someone in the future because the diode
        failed.

        The cost of the 1N4001, 1N4002 and 1N5401 are identical at most retailers.
        You choose.

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Brian Redman
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2005
          On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
          > from Märklin?

          Hi Uwe,

          If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need to
          look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might be
          listed there.

          brian
        • tplgo08291993
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2005
            Uwe,

            I have the small shed (8981) and that piece of track was included. The
            instructions do not indicate a number. I just looked in the 2005
            presentation book and I didn't see an individual track part. Also, the
            descriptions for the train sheds indicate that:
            "special track section(s) included to automatically stop locomotives."
            (number of pieces corespond to shed size)

            Tony
            Springfield, VA

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Brian Redman <yahoo@e...> wrote:

            > On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
            > > from Märklin?
            > >

            > Hi Uwe,
            >
            > If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need
            > look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might
            be
            > listed there.
            >
            > brian
          • Robert Toole
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2005
              Uwe,
              I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
              the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
              36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
              copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
              to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
              experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
              Robert
              "LoadToad"

              --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:
              > Hello all,
              >
              > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and
              > roundhouses have a item#
              > from M�rklin?
              >

              > --
              > GreetingZ
              > Uwe
              >

              > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
              > Small DoseZ!
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Brian Redman
              Message 6 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                On May 1, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Robert Toole wrote:

                > Uwe,
                > I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                > the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                > 36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                > copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                > to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                > experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                > Robert
                > "LoadToad"

                Thanks for the part number, Robert. My version of the 8980
                instructions (68 676 TN 0877 ka) didn't show the number.

                You don't necessarily have to solder that diode lead if you don't
                want to - although having (and knowing how to use) a soldering iron/
                gun/station can come in pretty handy. You might be able to gently
                bend the leads of the diode so the detached one is forced against the
                rail. That's worked for me in the past. If it turns out not to be
                reliable enough for your purposes then you can go back and do it right.

                brian
              • Wilhelm Fritz
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                  Hi,
                  the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                  Regards,
                  Willy

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                    On May 2, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Wilhelm Fritz wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                    Hi Willy,

                    The underside of the track ties just reads 8500. But as Robert
                    discovered, the part number is 36933.

                    brian

                  • zscaleinfo
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2005
                      This is not true with many special tracks of identical dimensions, the ties
                      of which are manufactured using the same mould. For instance, if you check
                      the bottom of 8594, the 660mm long straight track piece, it has actually
                      numbers 8505 (220 mm long section) and in three sections.

                      Tapani Tuominen
                      E-mail: trains@...