RE: [Z_Scale] Marklin Z Track

  • ldonsbach
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1 8:23 AM
      Bill, what type of diode (if there are different types) would it take to
      make ups one of these sections. I like to make up one or two of these for
      additions to my layout.

      Larry D

      San Antonio

    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1 9:04 AM
        Larry:

        > Bill, what type of diode (if there are different types) would it take to
        > make ups one of these sections. I like to make up one or two of these for
        > additions to my layout.

        In part, it depends on your power supply. If a train derails downstream of
        the gap and shorts the rails (or a pair of pliers) the diode will have to
        absorb the entire output of the power pack until the power pack's internal thermal
        breaker pops. If you exceed the diode's current rating the diode will burn
        out. Very, very few power supplies can handle 3 amps.

        Safest:
        1N5401 - 100v diode rated at 3 amps
        http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&
        item=1N5402&type=store

        Not as safe, but more commonly available:
        1N4002 - 100v diode rated at 1 amp

        The 100v rating considers the inductive "kick" coming out of the motor, even
        though the track voltage is less than 10 volts.

        If you don't already know, if you were sitting in the cab of a Z scale loco,
        you would move forward when the right hand rail is (+) and the left hand rail
        is (-).

        In the case of the diode, if the white band on the diode is on the end
        closest to the advancing loco, the loco will stop when it passes the gap.

        Does this help?
        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1 9:21 AM
          Hello Bill,

          > Safest:
          > 1N5401 - 100v diode rated at 3 amps
          > http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&
          > item=1N5402&type=store

          > Not as safe, but more commonly available:
          > 1N4002 - 100v diode rated at 1 amp

          Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
          Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
          true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.

          How safe are those installations?

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1 9:26 AM
            Hello all,

            BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
            from Märklin?

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1 9:32 AM
              Uwe:

              > Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
              > Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
              > true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.
              >
              > How safe are those installations?

              Remember, I'm the electrical "conservative" in the crowd. It just goes
              against my fabric to risk tearing into finished scenery at some future point to dig
              out a wire, or component, that has failed. I can never, ever, get the
              scenery to look right afterwards. Sort of like trying to patch a crack in the wall
              of a house. You can always tell you've repaired it.

              The 1N4001 is a 50 volt version, and I suspect it is in the range of
              "acceptable" solutions. Its 1 amp current rating is probably just fine for Marklin
              and MTL (MRC 1300) type packs. It you move up to a higher output power supply
              (amps) I would be more concerned.

              On this list, where heavens-know-what power packs a given person is using, I
              default to the higher 3 amp recommendation and have the confidence that I
              won't get a fire-and-brimstone email from someone in the future because the diode
              failed.

              The cost of the 1N4001, 1N4002 and 1N5401 are identical at most retailers.
              You choose.

              Bill K.
              Houston

            • Brian Redman
              Message 6 of 18 , May 1 4:30 PM
                On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:

                > Hello all,
                >
                > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                > from Märklin?

                Hi Uwe,

                If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need to
                look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might be
                listed there.

                brian
              • tplgo08291993
                Message 7 of 18 , May 1 6:44 PM
                  Uwe,

                  I have the small shed (8981) and that piece of track was included. The
                  instructions do not indicate a number. I just looked in the 2005
                  presentation book and I didn't see an individual track part. Also, the
                  descriptions for the train sheds indicate that:
                  "special track section(s) included to automatically stop locomotives."
                  (number of pieces corespond to shed size)

                  Tony
                  Springfield, VA

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Brian Redman <yahoo@e...> wrote:

                  > On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello all,
                  > >
                  > > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                  > > from Märklin?
                  > >

                  > Hi Uwe,
                  >
                  > If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need
                  > look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might
                  be
                  > listed there.
                  >
                  > brian
                • Robert Toole
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1 6:48 PM
                    Uwe,
                    I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                    the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                    36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                    copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                    to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                    experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                    Robert
                    "LoadToad"

                    --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:
                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and
                    > roundhouses have a item#
                    > from M�rklin?
                    >

                    > --
                    > GreetingZ
                    > Uwe
                    >

                    > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                    > Small DoseZ!
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Brian Redman
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1 11:18 PM
                      On May 1, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Robert Toole wrote:

                      > Uwe,
                      > I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                      > the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                      > 36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                      > copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                      > to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                      > experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                      > Robert
                      > "LoadToad"

                      Thanks for the part number, Robert. My version of the 8980
                      instructions (68 676 TN 0877 ka) didn't show the number.

                      You don't necessarily have to solder that diode lead if you don't
                      want to - although having (and knowing how to use) a soldering iron/
                      gun/station can come in pretty handy. You might be able to gently
                      bend the leads of the diode so the detached one is forced against the
                      rail. That's worked for me in the past. If it turns out not to be
                      reliable enough for your purposes then you can go back and do it right.

                      brian
                    • Wilhelm Fritz
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2 12:34 PM
                        Hi,
                        the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                        Regards,
                        Willy

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 2 3:30 PM
                          On May 2, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Wilhelm Fritz wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                          Hi Willy,

                          The underside of the track ties just reads 8500. But as Robert
                          discovered, the part number is 36933.

                          brian

                        • zscaleinfo
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3 9:53 AM
                            This is not true with many special tracks of identical dimensions, the ties
                            of which are manufactured using the same mould. For instance, if you check
                            the bottom of 8594, the 660mm long straight track piece, it has actually
                            numbers 8505 (220 mm long section) and in three sections.

                            Tapani Tuominen
                            E-mail: trains@...