Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin Z Track

  • Bob Knee
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2005
      Hi Bill,

      Yes - a sort of stumpy black torpedo with wire from each end soldered either side of the gap. There are a couple of blue lines, with, what I think, is 40C, but as I was looking under a magnifying glass I may be wrong.

      Thanks for all the answers so far, very much appreciated. The ones about 8599 seem spot on. Where it is shown in a specimen track plan in the old catalogue there is a sign over it that looks like an inverted U with tails, so a crossing of some sort?

      Bob
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2005
        Bob:

        > Yes - a sort of stumpy black torpedo with wire from each end soldered
        > either side of the gap. There are a couple of blue lines, with, what I think, is
        > 40C, but as I was looking under a magnifying glass I may be wrong.

        > >Also, there are two pieces of 8500 straight track. Each has a gap in
        > >one side of the track towards one end, with what seems to be a
        > >capacitor soldered across the gap.

        Brian called it correctly...a piece of track normally furnished with
        roundhouses and engine sheds to keep locos from ramming into the back wall.

        Diodes conduct DC power in one direction, but not both. When the last power
        pickup wheel of a loco crosses over the gap in the rail, the loco will stop.
        However, if the polarity of the power pack is reversed, the diode will
        conduct, and the train will be able to reverse its direction and move again.

        I might be useful close to the end of a siding...to keep locos from running
        off the end of the track. Check to see that the diode is pointed in the
        "desired" direction of travel before you fasten the track down to the layout.

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • ldonsbach
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2005
          Bill, what type of diode (if there are different types) would it take to
          make ups one of these sections. I like to make up one or two of these for
          additions to my layout.

          Larry D

          San Antonio

        • zbendtrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2005
            Larry:

            > Bill, what type of diode (if there are different types) would it take to
            > make ups one of these sections. I like to make up one or two of these for
            > additions to my layout.

            In part, it depends on your power supply. If a train derails downstream of
            the gap and shorts the rails (or a pair of pliers) the diode will have to
            absorb the entire output of the power pack until the power pack's internal thermal
            breaker pops. If you exceed the diode's current rating the diode will burn
            out. Very, very few power supplies can handle 3 amps.

            Safest:
            1N5401 - 100v diode rated at 3 amps
            http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&
            item=1N5402&type=store

            Not as safe, but more commonly available:
            1N4002 - 100v diode rated at 1 amp

            The 100v rating considers the inductive "kick" coming out of the motor, even
            though the track voltage is less than 10 volts.

            If you don't already know, if you were sitting in the cab of a Z scale loco,
            you would move forward when the right hand rail is (+) and the left hand rail
            is (-).

            In the case of the diode, if the white band on the diode is on the end
            closest to the advancing loco, the loco will stop when it passes the gap.

            Does this help?
            Bill K.
            Houston

          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2005
              Hello Bill,

              > Safest:
              > 1N5401 - 100v diode rated at 3 amps
              > http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&
              > item=1N5402&type=store

              > Not as safe, but more commonly available:
              > 1N4002 - 100v diode rated at 1 amp

              Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
              Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
              true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.

              How safe are those installations?

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                Hello all,

                BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                from Märklin?

                --
                GreetingZ
                Uwe
                Message 7 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                  Uwe:

                  > Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
                  > Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
                  > true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.
                  >
                  > How safe are those installations?

                  Remember, I'm the electrical "conservative" in the crowd. It just goes
                  against my fabric to risk tearing into finished scenery at some future point to dig
                  out a wire, or component, that has failed. I can never, ever, get the
                  scenery to look right afterwards. Sort of like trying to patch a crack in the wall
                  of a house. You can always tell you've repaired it.

                  The 1N4001 is a 50 volt version, and I suspect it is in the range of
                  "acceptable" solutions. Its 1 amp current rating is probably just fine for Marklin
                  and MTL (MRC 1300) type packs. It you move up to a higher output power supply
                  (amps) I would be more concerned.

                  On this list, where heavens-know-what power packs a given person is using, I
                  default to the higher 3 amp recommendation and have the confidence that I
                  won't get a fire-and-brimstone email from someone in the future because the diode
                  failed.

                  The cost of the 1N4001, 1N4002 and 1N5401 are identical at most retailers.
                  You choose.

                  Bill K.
                  Houston

                • Brian Redman
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                    On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                    > from Märklin?

                    Hi Uwe,

                    If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need to
                    look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might be
                    listed there.

                    brian
                  • tplgo08291993
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                      Uwe,

                      I have the small shed (8981) and that piece of track was included. The
                      instructions do not indicate a number. I just looked in the 2005
                      presentation book and I didn't see an individual track part. Also, the
                      descriptions for the train sheds indicate that:
                      "special track section(s) included to automatically stop locomotives."
                      (number of pieces corespond to shed size)

                      Tony
                      Springfield, VA

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Brian Redman <yahoo@e...> wrote:

                      > On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hello all,
                      > >
                      > > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                      > > from Märklin?
                      > >

                      > Hi Uwe,
                      >
                      > If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need
                      > look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might
                      be
                      > listed there.
                      >
                      > brian
                    • Robert Toole
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                        Uwe,
                        I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                        the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                        36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                        copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                        to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                        experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                        Robert
                        "LoadToad"

                        --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:
                        > Hello all,
                        >
                        > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and
                        > roundhouses have a item#
                        > from M�rklin?
                        >

                        > --
                        > GreetingZ
                        > Uwe
                        >

                        > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                        > Small DoseZ!
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Brian Redman
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                          On May 1, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Robert Toole wrote:

                          > Uwe,
                          > I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                          > the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                          > 36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                          > copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                          > to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                          > experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                          > Robert
                          > "LoadToad"

                          Thanks for the part number, Robert. My version of the 8980
                          instructions (68 676 TN 0877 ka) didn't show the number.

                          You don't necessarily have to solder that diode lead if you don't
                          want to - although having (and knowing how to use) a soldering iron/
                          gun/station can come in pretty handy. You might be able to gently
                          bend the leads of the diode so the detached one is forced against the
                          rail. That's worked for me in the past. If it turns out not to be
                          reliable enough for your purposes then you can go back and do it right.

                          brian
                        • Wilhelm Fritz
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                            Hi,
                            the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                            Regards,
                            Willy

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                              On May 2, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Wilhelm Fritz wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                              Hi Willy,

                              The underside of the track ties just reads 8500. But as Robert
                              discovered, the part number is 36933.

                              brian

                            • zscaleinfo
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2005
                                This is not true with many special tracks of identical dimensions, the ties
                                of which are manufactured using the same mould. For instance, if you check
                                the bottom of 8594, the 660mm long straight track piece, it has actually
                                numbers 8505 (220 mm long section) and in three sections.

                                Tapani Tuominen
                                E-mail: trains@...