Re: [Z_Scale] Marklin Z Track

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30 11:55 PM
      Bob:

      > Also, there are two pieces of 8500 straight track. Each has a gap in
      > one side of the track towards one end, with what seems to be a
      > capacitor soldered across the gap.

      Does the component look like a small black cylinder with a white ink band
      around one end - and - wire leads coming out on the major axis of the component?

      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Kari Sarmanne
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2005
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bobbyknee" <bob@b...> wrote:
        > Can anyone help please?
        >
        > I have just bought some old, but excellent Marklin Z track. There
        is a
        > piece 8599, which I can see in some old catalogues and it is shown
        as
        > Circuit Track. For what purpose is it used and an in what
        > circumstances? It doesn't show in my much later catalogue. Has it
        been
        > replaced? If so, by what?

        I cannot find the number 8599 in my old catalogues.
        Today there are three circuit tracks
        - 8589 straight circuit track, length 55 mm
        - 8529 curved circuit track, radius 195 mm
        - 8539 curved circuit track, radius 220 mm

        These tracks have terminal clips which you can
        connect for example to a turnout and passing train
        then switches the turnout. Also some other functions
        can be made.

        Regards,
        Kari
      • Brian Redman
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2005
          On May 1, 2005, at 2:45 AM, bobbyknee wrote:

          > Can anyone help please?
          >
          > I have just bought some old, but excellent Marklin Z track. There is a
          > piece 8599, which I can see in some old catalogues and it is shown as
          > Circuit Track. For what purpose is it used and an in what
          > circumstances? It doesn't show in my much later catalogue. Has it been
          > replaced? If so, by what?
          >
          > Also, there are two pieces of 8500 straight track. Each has a gap in
          > one side of the track towards one end, with what seems to be a
          > capacitor soldered across the gap. Is this a factory item, or has
          > someone done this at a later stage do you think? Any ideas what these
          > pieces of track would have been used for?

          Hello Bob,

          The 8599 (110 mm) was replaced by the 8589 (55 mm) in 1981. It's
          typically used to activate a solenoid for crossing gates or to
          control signal lights or blocking, and so on. When the locomotive
          passes over it in one direction it temporarily connects a common wire
          to one of the other two. When it passes over in the other direction
          it connects the common to the other one.

          Those 8500's with the gap are probably diode tracks which Märklin
          supplies with their engine sheds. Bill will explain it I think but
          basically it prevents the engine from getting power beyond the gap in
          direction towards the gap - so the engine doesn't slam through the
          wall of the shed. But it does allow power in the other direction so
          the engine can get out of the shed.

          brian
        • Bob Knee
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2005
            Hi Bill,

            Yes - a sort of stumpy black torpedo with wire from each end soldered either side of the gap. There are a couple of blue lines, with, what I think, is 40C, but as I was looking under a magnifying glass I may be wrong.

            Thanks for all the answers so far, very much appreciated. The ones about 8599 seem spot on. Where it is shown in a specimen track plan in the old catalogue there is a sign over it that looks like an inverted U with tails, so a crossing of some sort?

            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2005
              Bob:

              > Yes - a sort of stumpy black torpedo with wire from each end soldered
              > either side of the gap. There are a couple of blue lines, with, what I think, is
              > 40C, but as I was looking under a magnifying glass I may be wrong.

              > >Also, there are two pieces of 8500 straight track. Each has a gap in
              > >one side of the track towards one end, with what seems to be a
              > >capacitor soldered across the gap.

              Brian called it correctly...a piece of track normally furnished with
              roundhouses and engine sheds to keep locos from ramming into the back wall.

              Diodes conduct DC power in one direction, but not both. When the last power
              pickup wheel of a loco crosses over the gap in the rail, the loco will stop.
              However, if the polarity of the power pack is reversed, the diode will
              conduct, and the train will be able to reverse its direction and move again.

              I might be useful close to the end of a siding...to keep locos from running
              off the end of the track. Check to see that the diode is pointed in the
              "desired" direction of travel before you fasten the track down to the layout.

              Bill K.
              Houston

            • ldonsbach
              Message 6 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                Bill, what type of diode (if there are different types) would it take to
                make ups one of these sections. I like to make up one or two of these for
                additions to my layout.

                Larry D

                San Antonio

              • zbendtrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                  Larry:

                  > Bill, what type of diode (if there are different types) would it take to
                  > make ups one of these sections. I like to make up one or two of these for
                  > additions to my layout.

                  In part, it depends on your power supply. If a train derails downstream of
                  the gap and shorts the rails (or a pair of pliers) the diode will have to
                  absorb the entire output of the power pack until the power pack's internal thermal
                  breaker pops. If you exceed the diode's current rating the diode will burn
                  out. Very, very few power supplies can handle 3 amps.

                  Safest:
                  1N5401 - 100v diode rated at 3 amps
                  http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&
                  item=1N5402&type=store

                  Not as safe, but more commonly available:
                  1N4002 - 100v diode rated at 1 amp

                  The 100v rating considers the inductive "kick" coming out of the motor, even
                  though the track voltage is less than 10 volts.

                  If you don't already know, if you were sitting in the cab of a Z scale loco,
                  you would move forward when the right hand rail is (+) and the left hand rail
                  is (-).

                  In the case of the diode, if the white band on the diode is on the end
                  closest to the advancing loco, the loco will stop when it passes the gap.

                  Does this help?
                  Bill K.
                  Houston

                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                    Hello Bill,

                    > Safest:
                    > 1N5401 - 100v diode rated at 3 amps
                    > http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&
                    > item=1N5402&type=store

                    > Not as safe, but more commonly available:
                    > 1N4002 - 100v diode rated at 1 amp

                    Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
                    Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
                    true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.

                    How safe are those installations?

                    --
                    GreetingZ
                    Uwe
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                      Hello all,

                      BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                      from Märklin?

                      --
                      GreetingZ
                      Uwe
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                        Uwe:

                        > Here I have some of those tracks too which I believe to be originally
                        > Märklin tracks, and they have 1N4001 diodes installed. The same is
                        > true for the return loop set 8993 from Märklin.
                        >
                        > How safe are those installations?

                        Remember, I'm the electrical "conservative" in the crowd. It just goes
                        against my fabric to risk tearing into finished scenery at some future point to dig
                        out a wire, or component, that has failed. I can never, ever, get the
                        scenery to look right afterwards. Sort of like trying to patch a crack in the wall
                        of a house. You can always tell you've repaired it.

                        The 1N4001 is a 50 volt version, and I suspect it is in the range of
                        "acceptable" solutions. Its 1 amp current rating is probably just fine for Marklin
                        and MTL (MRC 1300) type packs. It you move up to a higher output power supply
                        (amps) I would be more concerned.

                        On this list, where heavens-know-what power packs a given person is using, I
                        default to the higher 3 amp recommendation and have the confidence that I
                        won't get a fire-and-brimstone email from someone in the future because the diode
                        failed.

                        The cost of the 1N4001, 1N4002 and 1N5401 are identical at most retailers.
                        You choose.

                        Bill K.
                        Houston

                      • Brian Redman
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                          On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:

                          > Hello all,
                          >
                          > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                          > from Märklin?

                          Hi Uwe,

                          If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need to
                          look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might be
                          listed there.

                          brian
                        • tplgo08291993
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                            Uwe,

                            I have the small shed (8981) and that piece of track was included. The
                            instructions do not indicate a number. I just looked in the 2005
                            presentation book and I didn't see an individual track part. Also, the
                            descriptions for the train sheds indicate that:
                            "special track section(s) included to automatically stop locomotives."
                            (number of pieces corespond to shed size)

                            Tony
                            Springfield, VA

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Brian Redman <yahoo@e...> wrote:

                            > On May 1, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Uwe Liermann wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hello all,
                            > >
                            > > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and roundhouses have a item#
                            > > from Märklin?
                            > >

                            > Hi Uwe,
                            >
                            > If there's a part number I haven't found it yet. But I still need
                            > look inside the package of a shed or roundhouse to see if it might
                            be
                            > listed there.
                            >
                            > brian
                          • Robert Toole
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                              Uwe,
                              I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                              the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                              36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                              copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                              to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                              experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                              Robert
                              "LoadToad"

                              --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:
                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > BTW: does those tracks for engine sheds and
                              > roundhouses have a item#
                              > from M�rklin?
                              >

                              > --
                              > GreetingZ
                              > Uwe
                              >

                              > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                              > Small DoseZ!
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Brian Redman
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 1, 2005
                                On May 1, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Robert Toole wrote:

                                > Uwe,
                                > I looked inside the box of my train shed, #8980. On
                                > the instuction sheet,, page 2, the track nunber is
                                > 36933. I also noticed that one of the leads from the
                                > copaciter need to be resodered. I guess I will need
                                > to purchase a sodering gun. This will be a new
                                > experience, I haven't even build the kit yet.
                                > Robert
                                > "LoadToad"

                                Thanks for the part number, Robert. My version of the 8980
                                instructions (68 676 TN 0877 ka) didn't show the number.

                                You don't necessarily have to solder that diode lead if you don't
                                want to - although having (and knowing how to use) a soldering iron/
                                gun/station can come in pretty handy. You might be able to gently
                                bend the leads of the diode so the detached one is forced against the
                                rail. That's worked for me in the past. If it turns out not to be
                                reliable enough for your purposes then you can go back and do it right.

                                brian
                              • Wilhelm Fritz
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                                  Hi,
                                  the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                                  Regards,
                                  Willy

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 2, 2005
                                    On May 2, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Wilhelm Fritz wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    > the part number should be on the underside of the track ties.

                                    Hi Willy,

                                    The underside of the track ties just reads 8500. But as Robert
                                    discovered, the part number is 36933.

                                    brian

                                  • zscaleinfo
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 3, 2005
                                      This is not true with many special tracks of identical dimensions, the ties
                                      of which are manufactured using the same mould. For instance, if you check
                                      the bottom of 8594, the 660mm long straight track piece, it has actually
                                      numbers 8505 (220 mm long section) and in three sections.

                                      Tapani Tuominen
                                      E-mail: trains@...