Re: [Z_Scale] FR covered hoppers, new asset tracking technology

  • Jim Hinds
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2005
      This RFID technology would be really great for model railroading.

      When I have checked into it in the past, the main drawback has the very high cost of the interrogator system. The RFID tags can be really cheap, but the reader has been a drawback up to this point. Imagine using the technology in a freight car sorting scheme in a freight yard.

      It seems to me that one great use would be at a train club or show to detect the fact that a locomotive is attempting to make an unauthorized escape from the premises.

      Jim Hinds