Spackle - hit or miss

  • randy smidt
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2005
      A while back there was a discussion about using dry wall spackle for terran filler between foam. Well I wanted to share my recent experience.

      The first time I tried this method a year ago I used DAP brand spackle and it worked great. A year later and a number of train shows, it's still fine. A couple of nights ago I tried the same method, but using the generic Home Despot no name brand since they my local Home Despot store no longer appears to cary any name brand DAP products. I checked my handiwork the next morning and to my horror every single joint was cracked. I'm very glad I didn't use any of this stuff on my walls for any real dry wall mudding.

      I guess I will try to stop by the one local mom and pop hardware store that Home Despot hasn't put out of business yet and see if they have any DAP brand spackle so I can finish the job.

      Randy Smidt
      Springfield, VA

    • thomascb2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2005
        In the Dallas, Texas area we have Elliot's Hardware and if you need
        something of good quality, that is where you go, not Home
        Despot/Disappointment.

        Tom

      • www.zscalemonster.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
          Randy,

          It is entirely possible that the DAP has a flexible addiditive added
          to it. I know that there is a manufacturer that makes it but don't
          remember who. The regular Joint Compound always cracks when put on
          with any amount of depth. Been there - done that.

          Now thinking back about 6 years, I too used DAP for my layout, from
          at my local hardware store (only because that is the only brand they
          had) and it had the additive. It was great working with it.

          Anthony
          http://www.zscalemonster.com/

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
          > A while back there was a discussion about using dry wall spackle
          for terran filler between foam. Well I wanted to share my recent
          experience.

          > The first time I tried this method a year ago I used DAP brand
          spackle and it worked great. A year later and a number of train
          shows, it's still fine. A couple of nights ago I tried the same
          method, but using the generic Home Despot no name brand since they
          my local Home Despot store no longer appears to cary any name brand
          DAP products. I checked my handiwork the next morning and to my
          horror every single joint was cracked. I'm very glad I didn't use
          any of this stuff on my walls for any real dry wall mudding.

          > I guess I will try to stop by the one local mom and pop hardware
          store that Home Despot hasn't put out of business yet and see if
          they have any DAP brand spackle so I can finish the job.

          > Randy Smidt
          > Springfield, VA

        • Robin
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
            Woodland scenics sells a product that looks similar to spackle
            called Foam Putty. Has anyone tried this? Or is spackle just a lot
            less money?

            Thanks,
            Robin

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "www.zscalemonster.com"
            <anthony@n...> wrote:

            > Randy,
            >
            > It is entirely possible that the DAP has a flexible addiditive
            added
            > to it. I know that there is a manufacturer that makes it but don't
            > remember who. The regular Joint Compound always cracks when put on
            > with any amount of depth. Been there - done that.
            >
            > Now thinking back about 6 years, I too used DAP for my layout,
            from
            > at my local hardware store (only because that is the only brand
            they
            > had) and it had the additive. It was great working with it.
            >
            > Anthony
            > http://www.zscalemonster.com/
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
            > > A while back there was a discussion about using dry wall spackle
            > for terran filler between foam. Well I wanted to share my recent
            > experience.
            > >
            > > The first time I tried this method a year ago I used DAP brand
            > spackle and it worked great. A year later and a number of train
            > shows, it's still fine. A couple of nights ago I tried the same
            > method, but using the generic Home Despot no name brand since they
            > my local Home Despot store no longer appears to cary any name
            brand
            > DAP products. I checked my handiwork the next morning and to my
            > horror every single joint was cracked. I'm very glad I didn't use
            > any of this stuff on my walls for any real dry wall mudding.
            > >
            > > I guess I will try to stop by the one local mom and pop hardware
            > store that Home Despot hasn't put out of business yet and see if
            > they have any DAP brand spackle so I can finish the job.
            > >
            > > Randy Smidt
            > > Springfield, VA

          • Scott A. Whitmire
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2 8:44 PM
              At 4/26/2005 01:31 PM, you wrote:

              >A while back there was a discussion about using dry wall spackle for
              >terran filler between foam. Well I wanted to share my recent experience.
              >
              >The first time I tried this method a year ago I used DAP brand spackle and
              >it worked great. A year later and a number of train shows, it's still
              >fine. A couple of nights ago I tried the same method, but using the
              >generic Home Despot no name brand since they my local Home Despot store no
              >longer appears to cary any name brand DAP products. I checked my
              >handiwork the next morning and to my horror every single joint was
              >cracked. I'm very glad I didn't use any of this stuff on my walls for any
              >real dry wall mudding.
              >
              >I guess I will try to stop by the one local mom and pop hardware store
              >that Home Despot hasn't put out of business yet and see if they have any
              >DAP brand spackle so I can finish the job.
              >
              >Randy Smidt
              >Springfield, VA

              I'm guessing the first stuff was one-touch spackle, or spackle light, and
              the second was regular spackle. I've had cracking problems with the regular
              stuff, but never with the one-touch stuff.

              Scott Whitmire