modelling Freight YardsM

  • jwa172001
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17, 2005
      All

      I want to build a small freight yard in Z scale but would like to know
      if I should just have a brick wall for the back scene or can I have
      industrial type buildings. I am modelling a typical USA yard but have
      not seen many photos of one .

      Regards
      johnz
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2005
        A typical US yard is miles in length. You would probably never see
        anything resembling a brick wall. Industrial buildings are a great
        backdrop and you can use a variety of warehouses, factories etc.

        Jeffrey
      • Dr John Lundy
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2005
          Johnz,
          You might want to check out "Model Railroader's Guide to Freight
          Yards". There are lots of nice photos and diagrams of the most common
          types of yards. I want to model a SP&S yard in the Columbia River
          Gorge, but as mentioned, yards are very large, so I hope to capture the
          flavor of the yard in the space I have.

          John
        • zbendtrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2005
            Johnz:

            If you want more information than you ever wanted (text and graphics) on USA
            freight yards, I suggest you go to www.google.com and type "railroad freight
            yards" in the search box without the quotes. Hit Enter and spend the next four
            or so hours reading and enjoying what comes back. <smile>

            Bill K.
            Houston

          • randy smidt
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
              Dr. John,

              Didn't Model Railroader do an article on one of the SP&S yards in the Columbia Gorge a couple of years ago in their RR Blueprint articles.

              Randy Smidt
              Springfield, VA
              (born in Richland, WA)

              Dr John Lundy <jlundy46@...> wrote:

              Johnz,
              You might want to check out "Model Railroader's Guide to Freight
              Yards". There are lots of nice photos and diagrams of the most common
              types of yards. I want to model a SP&S yard in the Columbia River
              Gorge, but as mentioned, yards are very large, so I hope to capture the
              flavor of the yard in the space I have.

              John

            • thomascb2004
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                Have a look at:

                maps.google.com

                You locate an area of interest such a favorite yard then
                select "Satellite" in the upper right corner of the screen to see the
                tracks.

                Good luck

                Tom

                > Johnz,
                > You might want to check out "Model Railroader's Guide to Freight
                > Yards". There are lots of nice photos and diagrams of the most
                common
                > types of yards. I want to model a SP&S yard in the Columbia River
                > Gorge, but as mentioned, yards are very large, so I hope to capture
                the
                > flavor of the yard in the space I have.
                >
                > John
              • dmackellar77
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                  www.terraserverusa.com is great as well. The 1m/px images aren't
                  bad, but a bit fuzzy, the 0.25m/ft urban images are excellent. I
                  even managed to find the roundhouse in Portland, OR where the 4449
                  resides. I know this because of the RSD5 and PA-4 parked outside :D

                  The detail here is fantastic, and if it's yard design tips you
                  want... Just look at the Urban for Chicago and take your pick ;)

                  Take Care,
                  D. MacKellar

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomascb2004" <thomascb2004@y...>

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                    I think it really depends on the area you are planning on modeling. For
                    instance, in the rural Midwest, yards can often be found in more open areas. I
                    simple tree line can act as a nice back drop. For east coast, you almost have to
                    go industrial. Yards are often crowded with industry around them.

                    Here are a few tips on how I am handling my yards. My home layout is
                    European. A company called Stipp in Germany makes 1/4" thick (back to front) paper
                    building to be used against backdrops for relief. I have a few of their
                    industrial buildings and they are great. I will use the older brick factory for the
                    main yard. For my intermodal yard, a have a more modern factory from them. I also
                    plan on using a sheet of 40' containers against the backdrop. Both the kits I
                    am using can easily be used on a US layout.

                    Nansen Street models in the US also make a factory relief that is to be used
                    against a backdrop. This would work well. You may also want to include
                    buildings to represent freight sheds or engine shops. It is all in the illusion...

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com

                  • Robert Toole
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                      Rob,
                      I checked www.stipp.de and they are really great. Are
                      they imported in the USA or did you purchase them
                      throught the internet? I still haven't started
                      contructing anything yet, just collecting and
                      planning.
                      Robert
                      "LoadToad"

                      --- ztrack@... wrote:
                      > I think it really depends on the area you are
                      > planning on modeling. For
                      > instance, in the rural Midwest, yards can often be
                      > found in more open areas. I
                      > simple tree line can act as a nice back drop. For
                      > east coast, you almost have to
                      > go industrial. Yards are often crowded with industry
                      > around them.
                      >
                      > Here are a few tips on how I am handling my yards.
                      > My home layout is
                      > European. A company called Stipp in Germany makes
                      > 1/4" thick (back to front) paper
                      > building to be used against backdrops for relief. I
                      > have a few of their
                      > industrial buildings and they are great. I will use
                      > the older brick factory for the
                      > main yard. For my intermodal yard, a have a more
                      > modern factory from them. I also
                      > plan on using a sheet of 40' containers against the
                      > backdrop. Both the kits I
                      > am using can easily be used on a US layout.
                      >
                      > Nansen Street models in the US also make a factory
                      > relief that is to be used
                      > against a backdrop. This would work well. You may
                      > also want to include
                      > buildings to represent freight sheds or engine
                      > shops. It is all in the illusion...
                      >
                      > Rob Kluz
                      >

                      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > Dublin, OH 43016
                      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      > www.ztrack.com

                      > removed]

                      http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
                    • Lajos Thek
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jwa172001" <jwa172001@y...> wrote:

                        > I want to build a small freight yard in Z scale...

                        There is a company, doing background prints:
                        <http://www.backdropwarehouse.com/PRODUCTS.htm>
                        You can customiZe it to your requirements, then
                        they can print it out in any scale. It's not
                        cheap, but getting what you exactly needed may
                        worth the money.

                        Lajos
                      • ztrack@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                          I purchased mine through an online dealer in Germany. They may have actually
                          been a book store that sold paper models. Really good kits. I can't read the
                          instructions since my German is not that good. So far so good though!

                          Rob

                          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                          Dublin, OH 43016
                          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                          http://www.ztrack.com/

                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 18, 2005
                            --- dmackellar77 <dmackellar77@...> wrote:

                            > www.terraserverusa.com is great as well.

                            Wonderful, this website! Within a dozen clicks, only
                            with a random search, I was able to see my favorite
                            railroad location! Guess what? The Tehachapi loop of
                            course!.......

                            Dominique

                          • Jim Hinds
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 19, 2005
                              If you're into this sort of thing, the US Geological Survey sells highly detailed maps of the whole country. I'm sure they have a website, but I bought my maps before Al Gore invented the Internet.

                              My train room wall has four overlapping maps covering the area from west of Ilmon to the city of Tehachapi. There are no freight yards in that area, but I suspect the view would not show great yard detail if there were any there. (I believe the closest freight yards are in Barkesfield and Mojave.) However all of the Tehachapi region sidings are shown.

                              These maps show roads, towns, land profiles, waterways, power lines, etc.

                              Jim Hinds

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 19, 2005
                                HI

                                I also found my favorite spot(The same): Tehachapi. Great.
                                Check the links:

                                http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&X=900&Y=9741&Z=11&W=3

                                And another nice place close to this: Caliente:

                                http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&X=880&Y=9765&Z=11&W=3

                                Hilsen/Regards,
                                Svein-Martin Holt

                                Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: post@...
                                Country: Norway Mobil: +47 45 40 15 15
                                Internet: http://www.platelayer.com

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 1, 2005
                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jwa172001" <jwa172001@y...> wrote:
                                  >I am modelling a typical USA yard but have
                                  > not seen many photos of one .

                                  Somewhat related to this discussion, this link was posted on another list:

                                  <http://www.sporenplan.nl/html_de/sporenplan/sbb/start.html>

                                  Swiss railroad yards, move the cursor onto each city on this Swiss map
                                  and click - the yard layout trackplan is shown in a new window. Some
                                  of these yards are extremely complicated, can give some ideas for
                                  those into modelling yards.