Re: Roads for future MTL's GP35

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Michel Dufault" <dufault.michel@u...>
      wrote:

      > Hi to the group,
      >
      > Did MTL announce what roads they were producing the GP35 in?
      >
      > Michel Dufault
      > Chateauguay

      I am very interested in the response to this question also, but, from
      what I have been told, it will be released in multiple roads, but, one
      at a time. Which is first to be released? MTL has not said (Top
      Secret) and we probably won't know til the actual day MTL releases the
      GP35 for sale.

      I am sure that as continued progress developes on the GP35 we will be
      getting updates here on the Z_Scale group first! Have a wonderful day!

      Tim
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
        --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Michel Dufault"
        > <dufault.michel@u...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi to the group,
        > >
        > > Did MTL announce what roads they were producing
        > the GP35 in?
        > >
        > > Michel Dufault
        > > Chateauguay
        >
        > I am very interested in the response to this
        > question also, but, from
        > what I have been told, it will be released in
        > multiple roads, but, one
        > at a time. Which is first to be released? MTL has
        > not said (Top
        > Secret) and we probably won't know til the actual
        > day MTL releases the
        > GP35 for sale.

        OK, let's bet! Myself I hope SP or AT&SF Blue
        Warbonnet!

        Dominique

      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
          > OK, let's bet! Myself I hope SP or AT&SF Blue
          > Warbonnet!
          >
          > Dominique

          According to the most resent Z_scale poll, AT&SF is in the lead by
          several points with SP coming in second.

          If you haven't placed your vote, click on the "Polls" in the box on
          the left side of your screen and vote.

          Question about AT&SF paint schemes: Did the GP-35 come in both
          blue/yellow and red/silver warbonnet paint schemes?

          Tim
        • www.zscalemonster.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
            The road names are all kept secret from the public and the dealers.
            We all want to know but Micro-Trains keeps each months release quiet
            until the 1st of each month. The GP35's are going to be released
            only one at a time (with the new Monthly releases). Also don't know
            how many will be release in the first year. One per month would be
            great! We will find out this fall!

            Anthony
            http://zscalemonster.com/

            wrote:

            > Hi to the group,
            >
            > Did MTL announce what roads they were producing the GP35 in?
            >
            > Michel Dufault
            > Chateauguay
          • de Champeaux
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005

              > Question about AT&SF paint schemes: Did the GP-35 come in both
              > blue/yellow and red/silver warbonnet paint schemes?
              >
              > Tim

              I don't think so: as far as I know the only engines to wear the red
              warbonnet in recent era were some F45s/FP45s in the 90s, then all new
              high power GE or EMD designs.

              Dominique
            • dwb6871@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                In a message dated 4/3/2005 12:53:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                ddechamp71@... writes:

                OK, let's bet! Myself I hope SP or AT&SF Blue
                Warbonnet!

                Dominique

                I'm for the Blue Warbonnet.

                Doug

              • ronrbr
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Tim,

                  Just checked The Santa Fe Diesel Vol. 2 and don't see any reference to
                  the red/silver Warbonnet. All of the pictures are blue/yellow.

                  But, here's something Dominique is just going to love. The SP and ATSF
                  tried to merge in 1986. While they were waiting for permission they
                  painted 13 GP-35's in a scheme called a "Kodachrome" red/yellow
                  bonnet. <http://atsf.railfan.net/sfkodcrm/i2814.htm>

                  They were not allowed to merge, so all the units were repainted back to
                  the blue/yellow.

                  Ron Ratliff
                  Richmond, Tx.

                  > Question about AT&SF paint schemes: Did the GP-35 come in both
                  > blue/yellow and red/silver warbonnet paint schemes?
                  >
                  > Tim
                • Wild Zontar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                    At 17:34 04/03/2005 -0000, www.zscalemonster.com wrote:

                    >The road names are all kept secret from the public and the dealers.
                    >We all want to know but Micro-Trains keeps each months release quiet
                    >until the 1st of each month. The GP35's are going to be released
                    >only one at a time (with the new Monthly releases). Also don't know
                    >how many will be release in the first year. One per month would be
                    >great! We will find out this fall!
                    >
                    >Anthony
                    >http://zscalemonster.com/

                    Hi Anthony,

                    Do you know this for a fact? Isn't it possible that MTL will release
                    several roads at a time? I ask this because it's what they did when they
                    initially released the F7. According to their database, MTL released six
                    road names in 1986, five in March and one in April. Since the GP35 will be
                    the first new locomotive they've released in almost 20 years, maybe they'll
                    do something similar.

                    If we're gonna dream, let's dream big. :)

                    Greg
                  • Shannon Olsen
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                      Greg,

                      It would be nice to get several road names in one release. I am all
                      for it but I was told by Micro-Trains, one road name per release
                      (month). Now, I can not say that they won't change their mind. Or
                      even give us a surprise.

                      I am also very surprised that they have been as generous with their
                      pre-production photos and display at the shows. The only other
                      release done in such a fashion was the Gunderson Husky Stack cars.

                      I'll pass any info along to you as I get it.
                      Just keep your fingers crossed!

                      Anthony
                      http://zscalemonster.com/

                    • www.zscalemonster.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                        See what happens when you are on another person's computer, and you
                        forget to log in, as yourself. That has not happened to me before.
                        Never the less... my response is the same.

                        Enjoy the weekend!
                        Anthony
                        http://zscalemonster.com/

                        <snip> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        Greg,

                        It would be nice to get several road names in one release. I am all
                        for it but I was told by Micro-Trains, one road name per release
                        (month). Now, I can not say that they won't change their mind. Or
                        even give us a surprise.

                        I am also very surprised that they have been as generous with their
                        pre-production photos and display at the shows. The only other
                        release done in such a fashion was the Gunderson Husky Stack cars.

                        I'll pass any info along to you as I get it.
                        Just keep your fingers crossed!

                        Anthony
                        http://zscalemonster.com/

                        > > Hi Anthony,
                        > >
                        > > Do you know this for a fact? Isn't it possible that MTL will
                        > release
                        > > several roads at a time? I ask this because it's what they did
                        > when
                        > they
                        > > initially released the F7. According to their database, MTL
                        > released six
                        > > road names in 1986, five in March and one in April. Since the
                        > GP35
                        > will be
                        > > the first new locomotive they've released in almost 20 years,
                        > maybe
                        > they'll
                        > > do something similar.
                        > >
                        > > If we're gonna dream, let's dream big. :)
                        > >

                        > > Greg
                      • Arie Knoops
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                          I finally uploaded some images....only one problem, how do I get rid of the
                          full size image but keep the small one? Yahoo does not make it easy. I
                          still have my second layout to upload, but I don't want to lock everything
                          up by putting up too much.
                          Thanks,
                          Arie
                        • jim_manley_alpha_six
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                            Hi Shannon, I mean "Anthony" and any other TranZvestiteZ who may be
                            lurking :D

                            Don't worry, "Anthony", your secret is safe with uZ ...

                            "Dear National Enquirer, I was wondering what your going rate is for
                            writing expoZeZ about cross-dressing model railroaderZ ... " ;)

                            All Z BeZt, All Z Time, to All Z FolkZ, of All PersuaZionZ,
                            Jim

                            P.S.: "Anthony", you might want to be very careful that you don't log
                            in from yet-another "female" person's computer at some point in the
                            future, or someone may start throwing something, and heaven forbid it
                            should be any of your MTL itemZ ... we will put up with a lot, but we
                            would never forgive you for such a loss, especially if it were MTL GP-35s!

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "www.zscalemonster.com" <anthony@n...>

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                              Jim, Yes... could it be Split PersonalitieZzzz? Bi Polar DiZorder?
                              Logging in from the wrong female's computer could be BAD indeed. No
                              infadeleitieZ here. Just out for the weekend. How would you model
                              that in Z anyway? ***Note: No GP35s were harmed in the typing of
                              this email.

                              If only they were magical GP35s that can solve anything. Now that is
                              stretching it, or is it? They indeed may be magical because the
                              smiles they will instill on many future generations (from kids to
                              grandparents) will be worth every cent.

                              Anthony
                              http://zscalemonster.com/

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jim_manley_alpha_six"
                              <jim.manley@g...> wrote:

                              > Hi Shannon, I mean "Anthony"
                              <snip> >>>>
                              > Don't worry, "Anthony", your secret is safe with uZ ...
                              > "Dear National Enquirer,
                              <snip> >>>>
                              > Jim
                              >
                              > P.S.: "Anthony", you might want to be very careful that you don't
                              log in from yet-another "female" person's computer at some point in
                              the future, or someone may start throwing something, and heaven
                              forbid it should be any of your MTL itemZ ... we will put up with a
                              lot, but we would never forgive you for such a loss, especially if
                              it were MTL GP-35s!

                              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "www.zscalemonster.com"
                              <anthony@n...>
                              <snip> >>>>
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                                Well I went back into photoshop and shrunk the images, then when I uploaded
                                them a second time, thats when the option to delete the large image
                                appeared, oh well its done now. The images did not load in order, but they
                                are numbered.
                                The first layout is a recreation of a childhood memory. In the window of a
                                train shop in Manhatten they used to have this box with a train in it going
                                around with a smoke watch tower in the corner. At that time Z was not
                                around so it had to be N, but mine is Z. Since I could not find a suitable
                                box I went and built my own out of red oak.
                                The second one is in a wooden artist's paint case. The type used to hold
                                brushes, paints and pallet when painting outside. Its the size of a small
                                breifcase. On this one I wanted to learn landscapeing. Also I wanted a
                                tresle & bridge, The tresle is in a curved incline, far from prototypical by
                                its my little world :) One thing about the case, there are slots in the
                                top to hold the pallet, so I think it might be a good place for a rotating
                                selection of my landscape photos. All I have to do is print them to size
                                and dry mount them to boards, then slide it in.
                                Just picked up a Halliburton case for the next layout, all I have to do is
                                figure out the combination lock. :(
                              • Arie Knoops
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                                  Also meant to appologise for the image quality. I am a photographer that
                                  has been exhibiting my work in galleries for over 20 years, but these were
                                  taken with the cheapest digital that one could find (makes camera phones
                                  look good). If it was film that would be a different story.

                                  Arie
                                • Bill Powers

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005

                                      > But, here's something Dominique is just going to
                                      > love. The SP and ATSF
                                      > tried to merge in 1986. While they were waiting for
                                      > permission they
                                      > painted 13 GP-35's in a scheme called a "Kodachrome"
                                      > red/yellow
                                      > bonnet.
                                      > <http://atsf.railfan.net/sfkodcrm/i2814.htm>

                                      Very interresting: and I add a further item to your
                                      statement: if you put side by side a SP engine with
                                      this paintscheme and its matching ATSF sample, you
                                      discover than:

                                      -on their LH side, "SF" is at the back of the engine's
                                      body while "SP" is a little more forward on the
                                      matching unit,

                                      -and the opposite on their RH side.

                                      This was done to only have to add a pair of letters on
                                      any engine for all the post-merger roster, without
                                      having to put all four "SPSF" letters.

                                      Dominique

                                    • Stephen Moore
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
                                        If i were a betting man, i would bet that, the first one would be
                                        either a union pacific, or a chessie. but probably going to be UP.

                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Wild Zontar <wildzontar@c...> wrote:
                                        > At 17:34 04/03/2005 -0000, www.zscalemonster.com wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > >The road names are all kept secret from the public and the
                                        dealers.
                                        > >We all want to know but Micro-Trains keeps each months release
                                        quiet
                                        > >until the 1st of each month. The GP35's are going to be released
                                        > >only one at a time (with the new Monthly releases). Also don't
                                        know
                                        > >how many will be release in the first year. One per month would be
                                        > >great! We will find out this fall!
                                        > >
                                        > >Anthony
                                        > >http://zscalemonster.com/
                                        > >

                                        > Hi Anthony,
                                        >
                                        > Do you know this for a fact? Isn't it possible that MTL will
                                        release
                                        > several roads at a time? I ask this because it's what they did
                                        when they
                                        > initially released the F7. According to their database, MTL
                                        released six
                                        > road names in 1986, five in March and one in April. Since the GP35
                                        will be
                                        > the first new locomotive they've released in almost 20 years, maybe
                                        they'll
                                        > do something similar.
                                        >
                                        > If we're gonna dream, let's dream big. :)
                                        >

                                        > Greg
                                      • frmerkle
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
                                          I bet that you are right, Stephen!

                                          Here is what I found written under this month's release of the UP F7 reprint
                                          on the MTL site under "NEW RELEASE":

                                          "This exciting [F7] release represents the livery of the multi-colored Union
                                          Pacific F-series locomotives. The body is painted UP Harbor Mist gray and UP
                                          yellow with red edging. Equipped with Blomberg trucks, many of these 1951 UP
                                          units joined the immense F3 fleet and some of the F3s were improved to F7
                                          standards. The UP F7 fleet worked for only 10 to 11 years before they were
                                          traded in for GP30s and GP35/DD35s."

                                          I underlined the part that I wanted to emphasis. There is mentioned a
                                          GP35.......very interesting!
                                          For what its worth.....
                                          FM
                                          If i were a betting man, i would bet that, the first one would be
                                          either a union pacific, or a chessie. but probably going to be UP.

                                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Wild Zontar <wildzontar@c...> wrote:
                                          > At 17:34 04/03/2005 -0000, www.zscalemonster.com wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > >The road names are all kept secret from the public and the
                                          dealers.
                                          > >We all want to know but Micro-Trains keeps each months release
                                          quiet
                                          > >until the 1st of each month. The GP35's are going to be released
                                          > >only one at a time (with the new Monthly releases). Also don't
                                          know
                                          > >how many will be release in the first year. One per month would be
                                          > >great! We will find out this fall!
                                          > >
                                          > >Anthony
                                          > >http://zscalemonster.com/
                                          > >

                                          > Hi Anthony,
                                          >
                                          > Do you know this for a fact? Isn't it possible that MTL will
                                          release
                                          > several roads at a time? I ask this because it's what they did
                                          when they
                                          > initially released the F7. According to their database, MTL
                                          released six
                                          > road names in 1986, five in March and one in April. Since the GP35
                                          will be
                                          > the first new locomotive they've released in almost 20 years, maybe
                                          they'll
                                          > do something similar.
                                          >
                                          > If we're gonna dream, let's dream big. :)
                                          >

                                          > Greg

                                        • Arie Knoops
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                                            Bill
                                            Thanks for the tip. I was able to open it last night, now to figure out a
                                            trackplan and the scenery.
                                            Arie

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                                              I would also suggest that this yellow could be a base color for the
                                              blue/yellow Santa Fe paint scheme...

                                              But I hope they do Chessie SOON!!!

                                              Adam

                                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Moore"