Re: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL GP-35 Chassis Future

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
      > I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still
      > scratching our heads as
      > to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40.
      > That wheelbase would
      > have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38,
      > GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
      > FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every
      > railroad having
      > GP40s, that route would have provided more modern
      > locos that could be
      > used to pull their pretty intermodal cars.

      Adam you're right, but even with keeping the same
      chassis all these variations sure require more tooling
      than releasing one loco only. And to my eyes, the GP35
      model is one of the most versatile locos in north
      America.

      The first samples appeared at the beginning of the
      60s, and presently they are still widely spread
      through the continent. Their use is still very
      various, ranging from yard switching, branch line
      running and switching, to mainline use, even in the
      present era: I remember a photo taken in 2002, showing
      a consist, on my favourite route (the Tehachapi Pass
      of course!), including a Dash9 at the point, two SDs
      (I don't remember which models),and.....a GP35
      embedded into the consist. As smoke was visible from
      its stack it wasn't in tow.

      It's sure myself I would have prefered GP40s-50s-60s,
      but I think they will comply with the needs for most
      most US style Z-scalers. Myself I will rush on these
      GP35s when available. On my in-progress layout (era
      summer 1997) they will find 3 uses: yard and spur
      switching, helper operation and mainline running with
      my AZLs.

      Just my two cents,

      Dominique

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
        >... It's sure myself I would have prefered
        > GP40s-50s-60s,
        > but I think they will comply with the needs for most
        > most US style Z-scalers......

        I meant: I think these GP35s will comply with the
        needs......

        Dominique

      • dwb6871@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
          In a message dated 4/1/2005 9:59:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          pray59@... writes:

          The GP7, GP9, GP18, GP30, GP38, and possibly a lot more, are all very
          close wheelbases, give or take a few inches. I hope they do a 7 or 9
          next.

          -Robert

          Did MTL announce what roads they were producing the GP35 in?

          Doug