Re: MTL GP-35 Chassis Future

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      My understanding is that the GP30 is the only other loco with the same
      wheelbase as the -35.

      I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still scratching our heads as
      to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40. That wheelbase would
      have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38, GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
      FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every railroad having
      GP40s, that route would have provided more modern locos that could be
      used to pull their pretty intermodal cars. Then again perhaps they're
      trying this as a test marketing, and will look to lengthen the frame
      for future models.

      Oh well. I just am glad to see that they are making the frames DCC
      ready. Hopefully they'll do Chessie and NS. :-)

      Adam

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
      > What can MTL do next with the chassis it is using for
      > the GP-35 (besides painting the same shell for
      > different roads) -- what other loco shells could use
      > the same chassis?

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
        > I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still
        > scratching our heads as
        > to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40.
        > That wheelbase would
        > have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38,
        > GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
        > FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every
        > railroad having
        > GP40s, that route would have provided more modern
        > locos that could be
        > used to pull their pretty intermodal cars.

        Adam you're right, but even with keeping the same
        chassis all these variations sure require more tooling
        than releasing one loco only. And to my eyes, the GP35
        model is one of the most versatile locos in north
        America.

        The first samples appeared at the beginning of the
        60s, and presently they are still widely spread
        through the continent. Their use is still very
        various, ranging from yard switching, branch line
        running and switching, to mainline use, even in the
        present era: I remember a photo taken in 2002, showing
        a consist, on my favourite route (the Tehachapi Pass
        of course!), including a Dash9 at the point, two SDs
        (I don't remember which models),and.....a GP35
        embedded into the consist. As smoke was visible from
        its stack it wasn't in tow.

        It's sure myself I would have prefered GP40s-50s-60s,
        but I think they will comply with the needs for most
        most US style Z-scalers. Myself I will rush on these
        GP35s when available. On my in-progress layout (era
        summer 1997) they will find 3 uses: yard and spur
        switching, helper operation and mainline running with
        my AZLs.

        Just my two cents,

        Dominique

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
          >... It's sure myself I would have prefered
          > GP40s-50s-60s,
          > but I think they will comply with the needs for most
          > most US style Z-scalers......

          I meant: I think these GP35s will comply with the
          needs......

          Dominique

        • dwb6871@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
            In a message dated 4/1/2005 9:59:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            pray59@... writes:

            The GP7, GP9, GP18, GP30, GP38, and possibly a lot more, are all very
            close wheelbases, give or take a few inches. I hope they do a 7 or 9
            next.

            -Robert

            Did MTL announce what roads they were producing the GP35 in?

            Doug