Re: MTL GP-35 Chassis Future

  • pray59_3
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      Tom Fisher wrote:
      -- what other loco shells could use
      > the same chassis?

      The GP7, GP9, GP18, GP30, GP38, and possibly a lot more, are all very
      close wheelbases, give or take a few inches. I hope they do a 7 or 9
      next.

      -Robert
    • Adam
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
        My understanding is that the GP30 is the only other loco with the same
        wheelbase as the -35.

        I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still scratching our heads as
        to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40. That wheelbase would
        have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38, GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
        FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every railroad having
        GP40s, that route would have provided more modern locos that could be
        used to pull their pretty intermodal cars. Then again perhaps they're
        trying this as a test marketing, and will look to lengthen the frame
        for future models.

        Oh well. I just am glad to see that they are making the frames DCC
        ready. Hopefully they'll do Chessie and NS. :-)

        Adam

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
        > What can MTL do next with the chassis it is using for
        > the GP-35 (besides painting the same shell for
        > different roads) -- what other loco shells could use
        > the same chassis?

        > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
          > I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still
          > scratching our heads as
          > to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40.
          > That wheelbase would
          > have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38,
          > GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
          > FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every
          > railroad having
          > GP40s, that route would have provided more modern
          > locos that could be
          > used to pull their pretty intermodal cars.

          Adam you're right, but even with keeping the same
          chassis all these variations sure require more tooling
          than releasing one loco only. And to my eyes, the GP35
          model is one of the most versatile locos in north
          America.

          The first samples appeared at the beginning of the
          60s, and presently they are still widely spread
          through the continent. Their use is still very
          various, ranging from yard switching, branch line
          running and switching, to mainline use, even in the
          present era: I remember a photo taken in 2002, showing
          a consist, on my favourite route (the Tehachapi Pass
          of course!), including a Dash9 at the point, two SDs
          (I don't remember which models),and.....a GP35
          embedded into the consist. As smoke was visible from
          its stack it wasn't in tow.

          It's sure myself I would have prefered GP40s-50s-60s,
          but I think they will comply with the needs for most
          most US style Z-scalers. Myself I will rush on these
          GP35s when available. On my in-progress layout (era
          summer 1997) they will find 3 uses: yard and spur
          switching, helper operation and mainline running with
          my AZLs.

          Just my two cents,

          Dominique

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
            >... It's sure myself I would have prefered
            > GP40s-50s-60s,
            > but I think they will comply with the needs for most
            > most US style Z-scalers......

            I meant: I think these GP35s will comply with the
            needs......

            Dominique

          • dwb6871@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
              In a message dated 4/1/2005 9:59:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              pray59@... writes:

              The GP7, GP9, GP18, GP30, GP38, and possibly a lot more, are all very
              close wheelbases, give or take a few inches. I hope they do a 7 or 9
              next.

              -Robert

              Did MTL announce what roads they were producing the GP35 in?

              Doug