MTL GP-35 Chassis Future

  • Tom Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      What can MTL do next with the chassis it is using for
      the GP-35 (besides painting the same shell for
      different roads) -- what other loco shells could use
      the same chassis?

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • pray59_3
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
        Tom Fisher wrote:
        -- what other loco shells could use
        > the same chassis?

        The GP7, GP9, GP18, GP30, GP38, and possibly a lot more, are all very
        close wheelbases, give or take a few inches. I hope they do a 7 or 9
        next.

        -Robert
      • Adam
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
          My understanding is that the GP30 is the only other loco with the same
          wheelbase as the -35.

          I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still scratching our heads as
          to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40. That wheelbase would
          have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38, GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
          FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every railroad having
          GP40s, that route would have provided more modern locos that could be
          used to pull their pretty intermodal cars. Then again perhaps they're
          trying this as a test marketing, and will look to lengthen the frame
          for future models.

          Oh well. I just am glad to see that they are making the frames DCC
          ready. Hopefully they'll do Chessie and NS. :-)

          Adam

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
          > What can MTL do next with the chassis it is using for
          > the GP-35 (besides painting the same shell for
          > different roads) -- what other loco shells could use
          > the same chassis?

          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
            > I (and several of us here in Dallas) are still
            > scratching our heads as
            > to why MT went with the -35 instead of the GP40.
            > That wheelbase would
            > have been the basis for a LOT more models (GP38,
            > GP38-2, GP40, GP40-2,
            > FP-45, and GP-50) In addition to virtually every
            > railroad having
            > GP40s, that route would have provided more modern
            > locos that could be
            > used to pull their pretty intermodal cars.

            Adam you're right, but even with keeping the same
            chassis all these variations sure require more tooling
            than releasing one loco only. And to my eyes, the GP35
            model is one of the most versatile locos in north
            America.

            The first samples appeared at the beginning of the
            60s, and presently they are still widely spread
            through the continent. Their use is still very
            various, ranging from yard switching, branch line
            running and switching, to mainline use, even in the
            present era: I remember a photo taken in 2002, showing
            a consist, on my favourite route (the Tehachapi Pass
            of course!), including a Dash9 at the point, two SDs
            (I don't remember which models),and.....a GP35
            embedded into the consist. As smoke was visible from
            its stack it wasn't in tow.

            It's sure myself I would have prefered GP40s-50s-60s,
            but I think they will comply with the needs for most
            most US style Z-scalers. Myself I will rush on these
            GP35s when available. On my in-progress layout (era
            summer 1997) they will find 3 uses: yard and spur
            switching, helper operation and mainline running with
            my AZLs.

            Just my two cents,

            Dominique

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
              >... It's sure myself I would have prefered
              > GP40s-50s-60s,
              > but I think they will comply with the needs for most
              > most US style Z-scalers......

              I meant: I think these GP35s will comply with the
              needs......

              Dominique

            • dwb6871@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
                In a message dated 4/1/2005 9:59:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                pray59@... writes:

                The GP7, GP9, GP18, GP30, GP38, and possibly a lot more, are all very
                close wheelbases, give or take a few inches. I hope they do a 7 or 9
                next.

                -Robert

                Did MTL announce what roads they were producing the GP35 in?

                Doug