Re: [Z_Scale] Re: 81510

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005

      > It would be nice to understand the electronics better, leading maybe
      > to the possibility of 'improving' the unit.
      >
      > RGM

      Richard, I'll bet if Jeremy got his hands on that unit, he could invent a
      "better mouse trap". He is working on a unique project for my store display
      layout, which involves a timer and train detection feature plus his Jorger
      controller. I'm going to end up having the cat's pajamas by the time he
      is through with it. I was telling him I wish now I had gotten into
      electronics myself many years ago. Me...........I'm only able to recognize
      + - and then I still mix up wires sometimes.

      It also seems that most purchasers of the solar set will someday end up
      redoing the scenery. From the pictures I've seen, scenery is not the set's
      strong point. Paying original retail for that set would have been a hard
      mouthful to swallow.
    • pray59_3
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
        It would be so cool if we could make 3 or 4 of these sets into modules
        and all the solar panels provided enough current for a small DCC setup
        like the Digi Zephyr. Talk about cool!

        -Robert
      • Ted LaMar
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
          Yes - That would be cool.

          As long as we are set up outside on a nice day!!

          Maybe we can get some metal-hallide [sp?] lights to beam down on them and make the panels work? Isn't that what they use to grow plants, etc.?

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
            I do NOT own one of these, but have had one in my hands. What is the
            sudden interest that all of the folks have. These appear to have been
            made by Marklin several years ago, with not a lot of selling interest.
            Then all of a sudden the Z fraternity seems to be buying these by the
            trainload. Obviously the scenery is not what you would call
            prototypical so the guts is just the suitcase and solar cell. Can you
            do something special with them other than without a power cord or did I
            miss something when I kibitzed with a unit ??

            Don

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:

              > What is the sudden interest that all of
              > the folks have. These appear to have been
              > made by Marklin several years ago, with not
              > a lot of selling interest.

              Instead of the original $900.00 (I say not too
              attractive price), you can get them for $280.00
              (including shipping) on the well known auction
              site. For this kind of money you can afford
              to do some additional landscaping, etc, or just
              have some fun...

              Lajos
            • Ted LaMar
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                The recent influx of these was due to a percieved great deal on ebay - USD 280. shipped to your door. As low as 268.50 to your door if you got two.

                About 40 of them went in two days in the buy it now auction.

                There is at least one list memeber who has extras if you are interested now that the price is more inline with what you get.

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                  I understand that some list members have recently
                  purchased this item at a ***greatly reduced price***.

                  --- Don <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                  > I do NOT own one of these, but have had one in my
                  > hands. What is the
                  > sudden interest that all of the folks have. These
                  > appear to have been
                  > made by Marklin several years ago, with not a lot of
                  > selling interest.
                  > Then all of a sudden the Z fraternity seems to be
                  > buying these by the
                  > trainload. Obviously the scenery is not what you
                  > would call> prototypical so the guts is just the
                  suitcase and
                  > solar cell. Can you
                  > do something special with them other than without a
                  > power cord or did I
                  > miss something when I kibitzed with a unit ??
                  >
                  > Don

                • chrisrobinathome
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                    After the discussion on this forum, I ordered the solar set as well.
                    Can you tell me how long it took you to recieve it once ordered and
                    paid for? I'm hoping to get mine in time to take to the Eugene, OR
                    show.

                    Thanks,
                    Robin
                  • Ted LaMar

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                        Mine still has not showed as of today, I live 30 minutes drive from
                        Ted, and I ordered mine 4 days before Ted! I am super sweating bullets!

                        -Robert
                      • Lajos Thek
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pray59_3" <pray59@s...> wrote:

                          > Mine still has not showed as of today,

                          Same. I'll check the rest of the story
                          at the Post Office tomorrow. I've learned
                          in the past, some postal workers are - how
                          can I say it politely - LAZY!!! to carry
                          larger and heavier packages, so they just
                          leave it at the post office. Last time they
                          didn't even leave a notice. It was a miracle,
                          I asked the right person to look for my
                          package (came from Hungary). After 45 minutes
                          of search she found it, the package was a
                          little bit dusty after idleing two weeks on
                          the shelf...

                          Lajos
                        • Steve Eichman
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                            GOT MINE TODAY, AND IT RAINED. I went to Radio Shack and bought a
                            panelmount "M" terminal and a "M" end for the 9V RS power adapter I
                            use on my layout conected to the Jorger Control. After a litle
                            drilling carving and soldering - Instant power. I installed the
                            adapter in series with the orignal just lower in the panel.

                            Comments - 1. track was laid by an inexperienced child, gaps at
                            joiners, and nailed. 2. rails dirty. 3. basic sceanery, will repalce
                            at earlest opertunity. 4. the position of the connection for the solar
                            panel plug is WRONG, I couldnt pull it out without unscrewing the
                            layout. 5.NICE train included.
                            Over all I do not feel I spent too much for what I got.

                            Question - Has any one got it to run with a dead battery, while in
                            full sunlight?
                          • Ted LaMar
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 31, 2005
                              Yes - Absolutely. It works flawlessly.

                              >Question - Has any one got it to run with a dead battery, while in
                              >full sunlight?
                            • Peter Ibbotson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 1, 2005
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 1, 2005
                                  Thanks Peter for the video of the solar train. Nice job on the video
                                  I could really see the details. It is keeping me entertained while I
                                  anxiously await the arrival of my set.

                                  Thanks, Robin
                                • Peter Ibbotson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 1, 2005
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 1, 2005
                                      Very nice video! Thanks for posting. Is the locomotive a special
                                      version with no lights at all or is it that they are just not
                                      visible in the video?

                                      Tapani Tuominen
                                      trains@...

                                      > > Question - Has any one got it to run with a dead battery, while
                                      in
                                      > > full sunlight?
                                      > >

                                      > Yes theres some video of it running in the weak UK march sunshine
                                      on my
                                      > website at
                                      > http://www.z220.org/layouts/solar.shtml
                                      >
                                      > Peter
                                    • Ted LaMar
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 1, 2005
                                        >Is the locomotive a special
                                        >version with no lights at all or is it that they are just not
                                        >visible in the video?

                                        Just not visible. There are three lights on each end, I think. Definitely at least two. I don't have it in front of me.

                                        But they are typically very dim at appropriate speeds. Good candidate for a decoder.

                                      • Peter Ibbotson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 1, 2005
                                          NB mildly drunk reply.....

                                          Just checked, the loco does contain the standard Marklin 10V (i.e. not an
                                          LED) bulbs in it.
                                          Dunno why they're not visible but then it is in the sun

                                          Peter

                                          > Very nice video! Thanks for posting. Is the locomotive a special
                                          > version with no lights at all or is it that they are just not
                                          > visible in the video?
                                          >
                                          > Tapani Tuominen
                                          > trains@...

                                        • richardminutillo
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 2, 2005
                                            Nice video, Peter, and I was especially interested in the audio. Have
                                            you tried that engine on a 'normal' setup? I get a lot less whine. How
                                            high was the 'throttle?'

                                            I've run otherwise quiet engines on the Solar and, yes, they whine.
                                            Are those wierd Marklin electronics using a pulse? Of course, Jeremy,
                                            we all wish it were a system Joerger.

                                            I also second Steve's comments about the dirty rails and the poorly
                                            positioned connector. Now, Steve, if you would publish a photo of your
                                            adapter modification. I take it you did that rather than use a 110 ->
                                            220 adapter on the brick that same with it?

                                            RGM

                                            BTW, timetable: purchased on 3/14, shipped on 3/15, arrived at my back
                                            door in MA 3/30 (no signature.)
                                          • Ted LaMar
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 4, 2005
                                              >Are those wierd Marklin electronics using a pulse? Of course, Jeremy,
                                              >we all wish it were a system Joerger.

                                              It seeme like it to me, becasue the engine get warm to the touch much quicker than it should.

                                              Like just a few minutes of operation.