Introduction of sorts

  • Dan MacKellar
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello All,

      Just a brief introduction

      Dan MacKellar here, and I just rejoined the group
      recently after a few years from Z. I had to sell alot
      of my rolling stock awhile back, but I kept a bit. At
      the moment, I've got 2 Microtrains F7A's, a Rogue
      GP38-2 shell on a scratchbuilt dummy chassis, and a
      couple pieces of MTL freight cars.

      I've been doing some HO modeling as of late, but I
      miss Z, and recently, there have been substantial
      advances in Z scale (The MTL GP35 being one), that
      convinced me to start thinking about getting back to Z
      scale.

      I've got a couple of 30"X48" modules here I've been
      debating what to do with. They were originally
      intended for HO, but I've since rethought that. When
      I was still modeling in Z, I considered modeling the
      Alaska Railroad, and that hasn't changed. The MTL
      GP35 will make this so much easier (Now all we need is
      a GP7).

      I'll keep the group posted on progress. My layout
      probably won't see track for a good while yet, bills
      still need to be paid, but I'll likely be doing some
      painting.

      Now... Anyone got any ideas on how to power a RLW
      GP38-2...?

      =====
      Dan MacKellar
      Dan's Railroad Gif Roundhouse
      Featuring the Largest Collection of Steam Gifs on the Net!
      OVER 50! Different Steam Locomotives and Counting!
      http://www.trainweb.org/rrgifroundhouse/index.html

    • harold grady
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Dan, welcome back. You mention you have a
        rogue gp-38 shell on a scratchbuilt dummy chassis.
        How interesting. Could you give us a brief description
        of how you built it. You also mention, "has anybody
        got any ideas how to power a rogue gp-38"? Yes
        why of course. Hope and pray that when the gp-35
        comes out it will be able to accept gp-38 shells.
        The gp-35 might be exact scale width or it might be
        slightly wider such as the AZL hood units.

        --- Dan MacKellar <dmackellar77@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Just a brief introduction
        >
        > Dan MacKellar here, and I just rejoined the group
        > recently after a few years from Z. I had to sell
        > alot
        > of my rolling stock awhile back, but I kept a bit.
        > At
        > the moment, I've got 2 Microtrains F7A's, a Rogue
        > GP38-2 shell on a scratchbuilt dummy chassis, and a
        > couple pieces of MTL freight cars.
        >
        > I've been doing some HO modeling as of late, but I
        > miss Z, and recently, there have been substantial
        > advances in Z scale (The MTL GP35 being one), that
        > convinced me to start thinking about getting back to
        > scale.
        >
        > I've got a couple of 30"X48" modules here I've been
        > debating what to do with. They were originally
        > intended for HO, but I've since rethought that.
        > When
        > I was still modeling in Z, I considered modeling the
        > Alaska Railroad, and that hasn't changed. The MTL
        > GP35 will make this so much easier (Now all we need
        > is
        > a GP7).
        >
        > I'll keep the group posted on progress. My layout
        > probably won't see track for a good while yet, bills
        > still need to be paid, but I'll likely be doing some
        > painting.
        >
        > Now... Anyone got any ideas on how to power a RLW
        > GP38-2...?
        >

        > =====
        > Dan MacKellar
        > Dan's Railroad Gif Roundhouse
        > Featuring the Largest Collection of Steam Gifs on
        > the Net!
        > OVER 50! Different Steam Locomotives and Counting!
        > http://www.trainweb.org/rrgifroundhouse/index.html

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
          > I was still modeling in Z, I considered modeling the
          > Alaska Railroad, and that hasn't changed. The MTL
          > GP35 will make this so much easier (Now all we need
          > is
          > a GP7).

          Dan, I don't know if Alaska Railroad owns (owned?) any
          GP35s, but if this railroad is the center of your
          interrest, I believe the future AZL SD70/75 will be
          available with this roadname.
          Dominique

        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
            > Hope and pray that when the gp-35
            > comes out it will be able to accept gp-38 shells.
            > The gp-35 might be exact scale width or it might be
            > slightly wider such as the AZL hood units.

            Harold, I believe prototype GP38-2s (same lenght than
            GP40s, 50s and 60s) are a few feet longer than
            GP35s...So I'm wondering about this.
            Dominique

          • Dan MacKellar
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
              OK, addressing several questions

              1) re: the chassis for my Rogue shell - it's a hack
              job of an MTL F7 dummy chassis with the "caps" holding
              the trucks inplace actually glued to the trucks. The
              3 pieces of the lengthened chassis are held together
              by a piece of square styrene tubing. It's functional,
              but I want to build a more accurate one eventually.

              2) re: the ARR as a prototype - I'm from Ontario and
              live in Canada, but since I model Canadian prototype
              in HO, I wanted to try something different for Z, and
              mountains and Z just go so well together.

              As far as the ARR having GP35's, they had 3
              (#2501-2504) as well as a GP30, which could likely be
              kitbashed from the MTL GP35 with liberal amounts of
              styrene to build up the cab. The GP35's were sold to
              Paducah & Louisville in 2000.

              3) Using the MTL '35 Chassis on the Rogue '38-2. Yes,
              the GP38-2 is a bit longer than the 35, so worst case
              scenario, I either wait for MTL to bring out a GP38-2,
              or I keep it as a dummy.

              4) The SD70M from AZL sounds great, but I think my
              roster's going to consist of MTL for the forseeable
              future. My modeling budget is nowhere large enough to
              support $500-600 (CDN) locomotive, no matter how nice.
              I may have to wait until either a better job, or a
              raise comes along. Or I can just model the ARR in
              Pre-SD70 times ;)

              Cheers,

              =====