Re: Rubbing Alcohol

  • Stephen Moore
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      Might be careful, i don't know if the higher acetone will take off
      any protective coats on the rail too.
      where as the 70% might be better, because it will not strip off the
      protective layers as bad as a 90% etc...

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Flayrah" <flayrah@y...> wrote:

      > Of all places, I found 90% rubbing alcohol at Target, in the first
      > aid section of the pharmacy. The store also carries the 70%, so be
      > careful which you select. For some reason, finding the 90% seems
      > to be hit or miss, they are often sold out. I haven't found the
      90%
      > at WalMart, Walgreens, or any other chain store.
    • Flayrah
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        I'm no chemist, but I don't believe there's any highly corrosive
        properties to alcohol - the difference between 90% and 70% is in
        purity, not strength. I use the 90% for most everything -
        including cleaning cuts and wounds - and I haven't lost any body
        tissue yet! LOL

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Moore"

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          I have had experience, where the higher content, or too much use of
          the alcohol, will act as a stripping agent, and remove more than just
          dirt, but also remove any protective coating, oils, or anything off
          the rail. Therefore, causing it to collect dirt faster, and oxydising
          faster as well..