Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Realism or lack of it (Was: Märklin Price Increase of 19% for 2005)

  • randy smidt
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
      As far as North American product, Marklin may simply
      retrench at this point and wait out the exchange rate
      problem like many other European businesses are doing.
      Besides, with all the new releases planned from MTL,
      AZL and smaller manufacturers, Marklin will have a
      hard time competing in the US market this year.

      I think that if MTL came out with a steamer priced
      even as high as $300 and passenger cars, Marklin would
      see sales of North American prototype trains drop to
      almost nothing. Of course, so far MTL has shown no
      interest in passenger trains. I personally model both
      N.A. and German prototypes, so I will still buy
      Marklin product as long as I can afford it. If I
      really want something, I have been know to save up for
      two years or even buy something on lay away.

      The GG-1 is one of the best locos I have (in any
      scale)! But with one new product a year for North
      America (and a very regional, though important,
      product at that) Marklin isn't going to keep up with
      MTL or even AZL.

      One thing to keep in mind is that MTL has stated that
      they are now looking at Z scale as a growth market and
      even AZL is starting to produce more competitively
      priced locos while Marklin still sees Z scale as a
      small portion of their sales. Even IF Marklin's Z
      scale sales surpass all of MTL's N and Z sales
      combined, the attitude toward the product line IS
      different!

      Isn't speculating entertaining! ;-)

      Randy Smidt

      --- Flayrah <flayrah@...> wrote:

      > I wouldn't be surprised if Marklin completely
      > stopped manufacturing
      > US prototype equipment. For 2005, there only
      > appears to be
      > one "new" item, and that's a re-paint; plus I've
      > noticed some
      > dealers are placing the 2003 and 2004 US "starter
      > sets" on sale -
      > perhaps an indication that they didn't sell well?
      > If Marklin
      > perceives a lack of interest in sales of these
      > items, they may
      > decide the market won't support new or additional
      > products.
      >

      > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
      > Small DoseZ!
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • kd79ctls
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
        ---Hi
        I got to say I agree and disagree with all. Marklin is a company out
        to make money ( the bottom line). If they have to raise prices to pay
        the bills and move factory over to other countries they will. Every
        Company here in America does that and no one here complains until to
        there gone. Why should they be any different.
        I personally think they should have two line like most big HO company
        do. One high end with good engine, high detail and limited runs and
        one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you and mix and match
        the line for different price points and keep all happy.
        I like to have both lower priced engines and higher one. Lower one
        you can modify without thinking of the money you could lose and if
        you take them somewhere you doesn't worry about something happening
        to them. Higher one to collect and run at home as the jewel of your
        collection and your railroad.
        Kevin
      • Tom Fisher
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
          I don't think anyone has said that Marklin has no
          right to make a profit or to produce in China.

          --- kd79ctls <kd79ctls@...> wrote:

          > ---Hi
          > I got to say I agree and disagree with all. Marklin
          > is a company out
          > to make money ( the bottom line). If they have to
          > raise prices to pay
          > the bills and move factory over to other countries
          > they will. Every
          > Company here in America does that and no one here
          > complains until to
          > there gone. Why should they be any different.
          > I personally think they should have two line like
          > most big HO company
          > do. One high end with good engine, high detail and
          > limited runs and
          > one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you
          > and mix and match
          > the line for different price points and keep all
          > happy.
          > I like to have both lower priced engines and higher
          > one. Lower one
          > you can modify without thinking of the money you
          > could lose and if
          > you take them somewhere you doesn't worry about
          > something happening
          > to them. Higher one to collect and run at home as
          > the jewel of your
          > collection and your railroad.
          > Kevin

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Don
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
            There was a long story in BUSINESS WEEK a few weeks ago that discussed
            some of the problems General Motors was having because labor was working
            about a 30 hour week and wanted to work LESS. That just might run the
            cost of goods / pricing up a tad.

            Don

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
              Sgt. Tim, those are words very well spoken.
              Marklin is serious about the American market but
              not serious enough. What it amounts to is too little
              too late. They are not flexible in seeing changing
              consumer demands. They are extremely rigid.
              Harold Grady
              --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zscaleinfo"
              > <trains@z...> wrote:
              > If
              > > M�rklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of
              > z-scale for
              > everyone.
              >

              > I disagree!! And so will alot others. Z scale is
              > here to stay and
              > as far as I am concerned, Marklin can close their
              > doors. I know
              > that will disappoint many of you, but not me. I
              > will not purchase
              > any of their products and Price has nothing to do
              > with it.
              >
              > Marklin has stood around for years only making that
              > F7 goofy looking
              > loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and
              > the world to make
              > a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL
              > has broken ground
              > and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has
              > recognized this are
              > are wanting a bigger piece of the action.
              >
              > I am a modern U.S. modeller and Marklins U.S. stuff
              > is rediculous.
              > Odd couplers, trucks set too far back, doesn't look
              > prototypical
              > (Despite what some say), and just doesn't appeal to
              > me. I will
              > admit to a select few Locomotives and rolling stock
              > looking OK.
              >
              > Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin
              > will be fighting
              > for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the
              > comments I am
              > reading about what people are saying at these Train
              > Shows about how
              > amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are
              > finally being
              > produced. Z scales problem is plain and simple, we
              > are not getting
              > due media coverage. Give us an hour on National TV
              > and we, the Z
              > community, will grow by leaps and bounds.
              >
              > I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and
              > not much
              > competition. Heck, AZL and MTL are working together
              > to not step on
              > each others toes with the U.S. Locomotives they are
              > producing, MTL
              > is starting to dedicate more assets to "Z" and their
              > are smaller up-
              > and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops
              > making Z, it won't
              > bother me!
              > My 2 cents to your comment.
              >
              > Tim

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit :

                > Why would MTL, which exclusively models N. Am.
                > prototypes, fail if Marklin went down especially
                > since
                > MTL is coming out with its own track?
                >
                > I have 1 Marlin tanker and 2 small diesel-hydraulic
                > locos from Marklin. I could live without them. On
                > the
                > other hand, if it wasn't for MTL, Penzee, Robert
                > Ray,
                > FR, and AZL, I wouldn't own Z.

                It's exactly the same for me.....
                Dominique

              • Ralph Scott
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Actually Marklin is the middle of the road when it comes to
                  European model train manufactures. There are plenty of other large
                  European companies whose prices are much higher but so is their
                  quality. Marklin bashers also should remember who started commercial
                  Z scale in the 1st place and the fact that it was aimed at the
                  european maket as 1st priority. It wasnt until repeated requests
                  from the US that the US outline was started. So I think if you bash
                  it too much you will lose it then we will see who stands on their
                  own.
                  If you think Marklin is expensive in the US then then try buying it
                  in New Zealand and then try buying MTL in New Zealand. Its all
                  relative ! - apart from their coupler design ( which can be
                  interchanged with MTL/KD and Jorger) marklin Z is an excellent
                  product with excellent reliability and robustness.
                  Ralph

                  > Actually, Märklin is still pretty much the only important z-scale
                  > manufacturer. Of course there are smaller manufacturers addressing
                  niche
                  > areas in z-scale product sphere and of course it is encouraging to
                  see that
                  > there are attempts to bring in the market alternative track
                  systems, for
                  > instance, but will they be here to stay? It remains to be seen. Z-
                  scale was
                  > born back in 1972 and the only manufacturer having made a serious
                  commitment
                  > to the scale so far is Märklin. With all due respect, Märklin is
                  the
                  > raison-d'etre for all the small series manufacturers around z-
                  scale. If
                  > Märklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of z-scale for
                  everyone. So
                  > simple.
                  >
                  > But despite of their earlier scepticism of the early 90's, Märklin
                  seem to
                  > have renewed their strong commitment to our scale and we should
                  all be happy
                  > for that. Just look at all those incredible new z-products they
                  have put out
                  > in the past few years, and we speak about truly new products here,
                  not just
                  > repaints. At least I think that products like the German V100, GG-
                  1, NOHAB,
                  > Anhalter Station kit and many others are truly remarkable.
                  Sometimes Märklin
                  > bashing of this list is just so plain silly and totally lacks the
                  realism.
                  > Reminds me of the Grimm's fairytale of fisherman's wife who was
                  always
                  > complaining of what she had no matter how much more she got and
                  ended up
                  > losing everything at the end.
                  >
                  > I don't think that any of us is collecting/operating z-scale
                  trains to save
                  > money. Z-scale is not a mainstream scale and higher precision
                  required in
                  > manufacturing and smaller series reflect on prices too. Also,
                  Märklin has
                  > never been known for making bargain basement products in any
                  scale. I am not
                  > happy with z-scale prices either which on the first look are
                  relatively
                  > high, but I try to weigh the higher price tags against what I
                  actually get.
                  > And my conclusion is that the price may be high, but it is also
                  justified in
                  > view of the true quality and customer support you get. It is not
                  once or
                  > twice that I have been pleasantly surprised when first buying from
                  a certain
                  > auction site older z-locomotives in an apparently bad shape and
                  when
                  > disassembling them for service noticed how incredibly well-built
                  they are
                  > and how they after servicing suddenly appear like brand new. I've
                  seen
                  > locomotives from early 70's, with hundreds of operating hours
                  behind them
                  > and yet, all metallic mechanisms inside were still in a wonderful
                  shape.
                  > Also, how many manufacturers actually can sell you spare parts for
                  > locomotives they made some 30 odd years ago in rare cases they are
                  required
                  > for repairs?
                  >
                  > We all have our freedom of choice, and there are those to whom the
                  price is
                  > everything. To those constantly complaining of the cost of z-
                  scale, I would
                  > just like to say that maybe you have simply chosen the wrong scale
                  in that
                  > case. Z-scale is bound to be more difficult, more expensive, more
                  > challenging but more rewarding too than "easier", more popular
                  scales. But
                  > one needs to have a right kind of attitude, more realism and
                  understanding
                  > the true nature of our scale would not hurt. And US dollars'
                  longtime
                  > downhill against Euro is beyond Märklin's control too.
                  >
                  > As to Märklin's z-scale model policies, of course they are
                  targeting
                  > collectors as well as those of us who like to run their trains.
                  It's like
                  > that with all the other scales too when it comes to high-end
                  manufacturers.
                  > I don't see it as a problem though. I think there is a very good
                  balance
                  > between collectibles and mass production models in Märklin product
                  catalog.
                  > There are buyers for both, has always been.
                  >
                  > Tapani Tuominen
                  > trains@z...
                • bscaro
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Hi

                    This thread has taken on a bit of a life of its own . . . but there
                    you go.

                    My original comments are directed more at the way Marklin position
                    themselves - and it seems to me they are positioning themselves to
                    appeal to a 'club' or elite 'collecting' market rather than
                    a 'modelling' one. That's my perception when visiting their dealers
                    with their show rooms in a number of countries.

                    What I wondered was whether that approach could be sustained in the
                    light of MT's entry into the market in a big way, with a locomotive
                    chassis choice that seems designed to enable them to quickly release
                    all the major EMD models of the 50s and 60s.

                    The idea of Marklin having two lines is one way around that problem,
                    and might be one thing they could do. They already do it to a limited
                    extent with little starter sets that are very reasonably priced with
                    the 0-6-0, one wagon and an oval of track.

                    And maybe not a bad idea, to be entirely selfish.

                    I could care less what Marklin bodies are like as I only use their
                    chassis. [And most of you already know my opinion of the US ones is
                    not high, but let's not go there again.]

                    But, to those who say they wouldn't care if Marklin upped stumps,
                    where would you get steam loco chassis ? Even the MT steam loco used
                    a Marklin chassis !

                    Let's not be unrealistic.

                    Cheers

                    Ben

                    > I personally think they should have two line like most big HO
                    company
                    > do. One high end with good engine, high detail and limited runs and
                    > one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you and mix and
                    match
                    > the line for different price points and keep all happy.

                  • zscaleinfo
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005

                      I think you very much fail to see the reality of model train industry today.
                      If Märklin really closed it's doors and dropped z-scale, it would, first of
                      all, hit the consumer confidence in the future of z-scale worldwide. People
                      would start to leave the sinking ship in masses and turn their eyes to other
                      scales, N most likely. If they see that not even the world's biggest model
                      train manufacturer believes in z-scale anymore, it's a very stong
                      discouraging signal. The accessories manufacturers would reach the same
                      conclusion and eventually discontinue their z product lines and focus on
                      other, more lucrative scales instead of a dying curiosity, a minority scale
                      on a way to extinction. The commercial risk of staying in the z-scale market
                      without the credibility and inertia given to it by Märklin, the biggest and
                      oldest model train manufacturer backing the scale would become unbearable.

                      >Marklin has stood around for years only making that F7 goofy looking
                      >loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and the world to make
                      >a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL has broken ground
                      >and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has recognized this are
                      >are wanting a bigger piece of the action.

                      The F7 you mention, is a product from a different era. In the 70's Märklin
                      did cut the corners a little bit by using the same mechanism in several
                      locomotive series which resulted in mildly distorted proportions in some
                      products. In some locomotives it is more obvious than in others. Marklin has
                      redone some of the older locomotives and introduced more true-to-scale
                      successors with updated mechanisms. Most notably the German 216/218 series.
                      If there is a demand and it becomes commercially viable, I am sure they will
                      introduce a new version of F7 too.

                      The product lines of the two manufactures you cite are not comprehensive
                      enough to keep z-scale alive alone in a hypothetical situation that Märklin
                      would leave the world of z. Back in the early 70's when Märklin introduced
                      z-scale, there was not a single accessories manufacturer for z-scale. In
                      order to make z-scale a viable alternative to N-scale and an immeadiate
                      success, which was Märklin's goal very much, they had to offer, not only the
                      rolling stock and a good selection of track segments, but also accessories
                      of all sorts from signals and catenary to transformers and plastic
                      structures kits. Even tiny automobiles in 1:220. Z-scale relies on the
                      availability of readymade products more than other scales due to it's tiny
                      size and support from accessories manufacturer's is essential if the model
                      train manufacturer can not cover those needs.

                      >Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin will be fighting
                      >for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the comments I am
                      >reading about what people are saying at these Train Shows about how
                      >amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are finally being
                      >produced.

                      Talk is cheap. The real test is, will the new products sell well enough to
                      encourage their manufacturers to expand the production or will they be
                      forced to pull out after a while to minimize the losses. It is positive that
                      so many manufacturers are showing interest in z-scale, but like I said, if
                      Märklin pulled the plug, the others would think twice whether staying in
                      z-scale makes sense or not.

                      >I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and not much
                      >competition.

                      You seem to have a rather rosy idea of model train business. Even in the
                      world's biggest z-scale market, that is Germany, there are still lot's of
                      products that simply don't exist in z-scale, but would be very welcome and
                      why is that? Because the accessories manufacturers at large simply do not
                      consider it profitable to cater the needs of z-scalers at the same level as
                      they do for N or HO customers. However, I do agree that we should encourage
                      and see positivily the contributions of any manufacturer, big and small, to
                      our beloved z-scale. And that includes Märklin too. Unfounded and highly
                      emotional critizism of one manufacturer does not take us anywhere no matter
                      how passionate we are about our hobby, which basically is a positive thing.
                      Constructive feedback and suggestions to manufacturers work much better.
                      Also, let's not forget that actually buying their products when we can, is
                      the best way to support our hobby.

                      >and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops making Z, it won't
                      >bother me!

                      Well, it surely would bother me and many others who would like the z-scale
                      to be here to stay for years to come and progress worldwide.

                      Tapani Tuominen
                      trains@...
                    • sgt_tim7
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
                        ........................................... But, to those who say
                        they wouldn't care if Marklin upped stumps,
                        where would you get steam loco chassis ? Even the MT steam loco
                        used
                        a Marklin chassis !

                        AZL perhaps!!!!!!!! Perhaps a New company that hasn't been brought
                        to life yet? With a dedication to "Z", a great business Plan and
                        the right investors, a company could be born overnight that could
                        rival both AZL and MTL. Point is, their is such a wide open gap of
                        N. Am. locos and rolling stock that has never been attempted
                        that "Z" could very well grow from 2%+ in total Model Railroading to
                        25% or higher. With limited space and more multiple posibilities
                        with "Z", more people would give up their HO and possibly their N
                        layouts.

                        Think of the miles and miles of "Z" scale track that could replace
                        the thousands of feet of HO and N scale track that is represented on
                        peoples layouts and modules. Layout space remains the same, but the
                        acres of scale space would increase 10 fold. Having more space
                        means needing more "Z" stuff to fill the void. If more Z is
                        produced at a cheaper cost, then people will buy.

                        My personal issue with Marklin- Thanks for starting "Z" in the
                        world, but, you should have made modern US decades ago. I have
                        followed "Z" for nearly 20 years. No modern diesel locos, no
                        buy!!!! AZL changed all that for me. Sell all my N scale and now I
                        am here! Yes, much more expensive, but as they say, Build it and
                        they will buy! :) So many people are seeing what "Z" is
                        developing into here, in the US, and they are getting into it.

                        I say, the collectors can keep collecting, but the ones who are
                        serious about the fun involved in this hobby, go forth and reap the
                        rewards. NTS 2005 here I come!!!!

                        I found 2 more pennies(cents)
                        Tim
                      • David Barnblatt
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                          I responded a few days ago about the Marklin debate with no comment from
                          anyone regarding the real issue which is the value of the dollar. Here is my
                          original post:

                          It really has nothing to do with labor costs. It is the value of the dollar
                          to the Euro. In addition Marklin USA operates as a separate entity. Meaning
                          that Marklin USA needs to make money like everybody else. Marklin Germany
                          sells to Marklin USA just like it sells to other shops and dealers across
                          Europe. Take that into consideration, add the lousy exchange rate, Marklin
                          USA's big mark-up and finally the mark-up from the dealer and there you have
                          the huge prices we pay over here for this stuff.
                          This really only effects dealers that buy from Marklin USA and not some
                          internet dealers that buy from partners overseas. It really is not worth the
                          price difference.
                          A good example is, say, a Marklin 8856. Here, at a well known model train
                          shop in LA the 8856 costs $419.98! From a well known auction site dealer in
                          the Netherlands it runs 200 Euro to order it from them outside the auction
                          environment. That's a huge price difference.
                          So I would not blame Marklin Germany but Marklin USA.

                          In addition:

                          A few have commented that if Marklin dropped z scale that they wouldn't
                          care. There are many members of this group, myself included that model
                          European railways. I would definitely be very upset if Marklin dropped z
                          scale. I certainly don't feel that way about AZL or MTL... They are
                          creating beautiful models and expanding z, making it more of a viable scale
                          so every body benefits.
                          For 2005 many are "unimpressed" with the new offerings from Marklin. I for
                          one found a very nice and long awaited Swiss steam locomotive. Pretty nice
                          stuff!

                          David

                          On 2/28/05 3:56 PM, "overdosezd" <overdosezd@...> wrote:

                          > Michael,
                          >
                          > Wow! Must be due to all that high-priced Chinese labor Marklin has
                          > started using. I just got the 2005 catalog and was pretty
                          > unimpressed. It was full of mostly older sets that must still be
                          > languishing in the stockrooms. Even the GG1 is a bizarre choice.
                          > First off, it's wrong. That particular GG1 had a riveted body. I
                          > don't object to another Z GG1 but I would have rather had a more
                          > commonplace paint scheme. The up side to all of this is that Micro-
                          > Trains is ramping up with the roadbed track and the new diesel.
                          > Speaking of MTL... The March page is up today and features a Z
                          > survey. Please go and fill it in. Maybe if we all fill it out
                          > they'll get some more product under development? And MTL prices are
                          > always nicer than Marklin prices! Don't know how they manage to do
                          > it without that high-priced Chinese workforce!
                          >
                          > Disguszted with Marklin 2005,
                          >
                          > Mark Lieske
                        • bscaro
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
[...]

                            ******

                            I disagree with this. Take the example of Triang TT.

                            British TT scale should have died by the early 70s after Triang
                            dropped it. Nothing of the sort happened.

                            People started making kits, mechanisms, etches, and British TT became
                            a scale for high quality modelling, freed of the constraints of
                            manufacturers compromises and their need for profit.

                            Modellers became manufacturers, and instead of making high-cost items
                            like RTR locomotives, instead produced generic components such as a
                            range of wheels, chassis parts, motors, etc. Using these parts,
                            modellers started building a wide range of locomotives and cars
                            themselves.

                            Most of the cottage manufacturers were in it for love, but given the
                            right co-operative arrangements of an association set up to support
                            the scale, TT did quite well.

                            In essence, TT ceased to be a commercial scale and became a co-
                            operative effort, a true modelling scale.

                            In fact, when you look at British TT and other scales like 2mm, which
                            is one of a number of examples which have *never* had the support of
                            a major manufacturer -and the compromises in realism which go along
                            with it ! - you see some of the best modelling today.

                            Although it is not guaranteed, it is at least possible that a similar
                            thing might happen in Z if Marklin exited the market.

                            I hope they don't though.

                            Ben