Re: Realism or lack of it (Was: Märklin Price Increase of 19% for 2005)

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zscaleinfo" <trains@z...> wrote:
      If
      > Märklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of z-scale for
      everyone.

      I disagree!! And so will alot others. Z scale is here to stay and
      as far as I am concerned, Marklin can close their doors. I know
      that will disappoint many of you, but not me. I will not purchase
      any of their products and Price has nothing to do with it.

      Marklin has stood around for years only making that F7 goofy looking
      loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and the world to make
      a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL has broken ground
      and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has recognized this are
      are wanting a bigger piece of the action.

      I am a modern U.S. modeller and Marklins U.S. stuff is rediculous.
      Odd couplers, trucks set too far back, doesn't look prototypical
      (Despite what some say), and just doesn't appeal to me. I will
      admit to a select few Locomotives and rolling stock looking OK.

      Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin will be fighting
      for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the comments I am
      reading about what people are saying at these Train Shows about how
      amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are finally being
      produced. Z scales problem is plain and simple, we are not getting
      due media coverage. Give us an hour on National TV and we, the Z
      community, will grow by leaps and bounds.

      I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and not much
      competition. Heck, AZL and MTL are working together to not step on
      each others toes with the U.S. Locomotives they are producing, MTL
      is starting to dedicate more assets to "Z" and their are smaller up-
      and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops making Z, it won't
      bother me!
      My 2 cents to your comment.

      Tim
    • miked_r@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
        I couldn't agree more.

        Just so it is understood, I am more upset with the Euro-Dollar
        exchange rate than Marklin. My point is that everyone should be ready
        for 19% sticker shock. I happen to work for a Japanese company. We
        keep prices low but sacrifice product as the Yen strengthens against
        the dollar. But 7 years ago, when we made both large profit and had a
        strong dollar, we put away those profits or reinvested in R&D.

        Marklin is in business to make money, whether in Germany or the U.S.
        or anywhere around the world. Anyone in business to lose money will
        not last very long.

        I have no beef with Marklin as some who have posted seem to, just
        making this large customer base aware of the realities of the
        Euro-Dollar exchange rate. I ended up with a bargain when I bought my
        GG-1 a few months back. I love the GG-1 and all of my Marklin
        products, whether old or new, even the fidgety turnouts...

        I have priced some of the European sellers and their prices are not as
        good as buying from the dealer I work with in Michigan. I work with
        him only because I don't have to pay NY State sales tax*, his prices
        are lower than anyone else and he will order whatever is not in stock.
        His shipping is fair. (*I do end up declaring my non-taxed
        online/mail/phone-order retail purchases at year's end on my NY State
        tax return-a new requirement; NY State never misses a chance to
        collect tax; So I do end up paying tax somewhere along the line...)

        Michael
      • miked_r@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
          Please substitute "profit" for "product" after the word "sacrifice" in
          the paragraph below...

          (grinning sheepishly...)

          Michael

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, miked_r@y... wrote:

          > I couldn't agree more.
          >
          > Just so it is understood, I am more upset with the Euro-Dollar
          > exchange rate than Marklin. My point is that everyone should be ready
          > for 19% sticker shock. I happen to work for a Japanese company. We
          > keep prices low but sacrifice product as the Yen strengthens against
          > the dollar. But 7 years ago, when we made both large profit and had a
          > strong dollar, we put away those profits or reinvested in R&D
        • Tom Fisher
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
            Why would MTL, which exclusively models N. Am.
            prototypes, fail if Marklin went down especially since
            MTL is coming out with its own track?

            I have 1 Marlin tanker and 2 small diesel-hydraulic
            locos from Marklin. I could live without them. On the
            other hand, if it wasn't for MTL, Penzee, Robert Ray,
            FR, and AZL, I wouldn't own Z.

            --- zscaleinfo <trains@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > remarkable. Sometimes M�rklin
            > bashing of this list is just so plain silly and
            > totally lacks the realism.
            > Reminds me of the Grimm's fairytale of fisherman's
            > wife who was always
            > complaining of what she had no matter how much more
            > she got and ended up
            > losing everything at the end.
            >
            > I don't think that any of us is collecting/operating
            > z-scale trains to save
            > money. Z-scale is not a mainstream scale and higher
            > precision required in
            > manufacturing and smaller series reflect on prices
            > too. Also, M�rklin has
            > never been known for making bargain basement
            > products in any scale. I am not
            > happy with z-scale prices either which on the first
            > look are relatively
            > high, but I try to weigh the higher price tags
            > against what I actually get.
            > And my conclusion is that the price may be high, but
            > it is also justified in
            > view of the true quality and customer support you
            > get. It is not once or
            > twice that I have been pleasantly surprised when
            > first buying from a certain
            > auction site older z-locomotives in an apparently
            > bad shape and when
            > disassembling them for service noticed how
            > incredibly well-built they are
            > and how they after servicing suddenly appear like
            > brand new. I've seen
            > locomotives from early 70's, with hundreds of
            > operating hours behind them
            > and yet, all metallic mechanisms inside were still
            > in a wonderful shape.
            > Also, how many manufacturers actually can sell you
            > spare parts for
            > locomotives they made some 30 odd years ago in rare
            > cases they are required
            > for repairs?
            >
            > We all have our freedom of choice, and there are
            > those to whom the price is
            > everything. To those constantly complaining of the
            > cost of z-scale, I would
            > just like to say that maybe you have simply chosen
            > the wrong scale in that
            > case. Z-scale is bound to be more difficult, more
            > expensive, more
            > challenging but more rewarding too than "easier",
            > more popular scales. But
            > one needs to have a right kind of attitude, more
            > realism and understanding
            > the true nature of our scale would not hurt. And US
            > dollars' longtime
            > downhill against Euro is beyond M�rklin's control
            > too.
            >
            > As to M�rklin's z-scale model policies, of course
            > they are targeting
            > collectors as well as those of us who like to run
            > their trains. It's like
            > that with all the other scales too when it comes to
            > high-end manufacturers.
            > I don't see it as a problem though. I think there is
            > a very good balance
            > between collectibles and mass production models in
            > M�rklin product catalog.
            > There are buyers for both, has always been.

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Jeffrey MacHan
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
              Hello Tapani,

              Thank you for a masterful explanation of the role Märklin has and
              still plays in the "Z" universe.

              You are quite right in that no other company comes close to Märklin
              in terms of capital investment, product lines, international market
              share and revenus generated from "Z". During my discussions with Joe
              Rocchia of Märklin in Göppingen, he mentioned that "Z" represented up
              to 15% of the company's production. Although I am not aware of any
              published figures, Märklin's annual revenues are thought to be in the
              250 - 300 million USD range although the company has publicly
              acknowledged that revenues have been dropping sharply. In any case,
              it is possible that the "Z" portion would be somewhere in the 15 - 30
              million USD. (If anyone has more credible numbers, please jump in).
              NOTE: this is only an educated guess but if this is the case,
              Märklin's "Z" revenues would be about the same or larger than Micro-
              Trains Line's annual revenues.

              But the toy industry is changing rapidly and Märklin is feeling the
              heat from cheaper, overseas production. It now appears that 2/3 of
              toy train production comes from China. In fact, Märklin's management
              feels that the company is faced with "extinction".

              "We have tried as much as possible to keep our production in
              Germany", said Maerklin boss Paul Adams. "So we raised our prices
              and now we find ourselves in a situation where the market no longer
              accepts them".

              Read the entire article here:
              http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_business_story_skin/461645%3fformat=html

              A 1992 Harvard Business Review article by H. Simon entitled "Lessons
              From Germany's Midsize Giants" examines Märklin's corporate culture
              and helps to explain the current crisis the company is facing.

              <http://groups.google.ca/groups?
              q=marklin+revenues&hl=en&lr=&selm=cf697647.0303011927.5346d72e%
              40posting.google.com&rnum=2>

              Food for thought,
              Jeffrey MacHan
            • Flayrah
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                I wouldn't be surprised if Marklin completely stopped manufacturing
                US prototype equipment. For 2005, there only appears to be
                one "new" item, and that's a re-paint; plus I've noticed some
                dealers are placing the 2003 and 2004 US "starter sets" on sale -
                perhaps an indication that they didn't sell well? If Marklin
                perceives a lack of interest in sales of these items, they may
                decide the market won't support new or additional products.
              • randy smidt
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                  As far as North American product, Marklin may simply
                  retrench at this point and wait out the exchange rate
                  problem like many other European businesses are doing.
                  Besides, with all the new releases planned from MTL,
                  AZL and smaller manufacturers, Marklin will have a
                  hard time competing in the US market this year.

                  I think that if MTL came out with a steamer priced
                  even as high as $300 and passenger cars, Marklin would
                  see sales of North American prototype trains drop to
                  almost nothing. Of course, so far MTL has shown no
                  interest in passenger trains. I personally model both
                  N.A. and German prototypes, so I will still buy
                  Marklin product as long as I can afford it. If I
                  really want something, I have been know to save up for
                  two years or even buy something on lay away.

                  The GG-1 is one of the best locos I have (in any
                  scale)! But with one new product a year for North
                  America (and a very regional, though important,
                  product at that) Marklin isn't going to keep up with
                  MTL or even AZL.

                  One thing to keep in mind is that MTL has stated that
                  they are now looking at Z scale as a growth market and
                  even AZL is starting to produce more competitively
                  priced locos while Marklin still sees Z scale as a
                  small portion of their sales. Even IF Marklin's Z
                  scale sales surpass all of MTL's N and Z sales
                  combined, the attitude toward the product line IS
                  different!

                  Isn't speculating entertaining! ;-)

                  Randy Smidt

                  --- Flayrah <flayrah@...> wrote:

                  > I wouldn't be surprised if Marklin completely
                  > stopped manufacturing
                  > US prototype equipment. For 2005, there only
                  > appears to be
                  > one "new" item, and that's a re-paint; plus I've
                  > noticed some
                  > dealers are placing the 2003 and 2004 US "starter
                  > sets" on sale -
                  > perhaps an indication that they didn't sell well?
                  > If Marklin
                  > perceives a lack of interest in sales of these
                  > items, they may
                  > decide the market won't support new or additional
                  > products.
                  >

                  > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                  > Small DoseZ!
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • kd79ctls
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                    ---Hi
                    I got to say I agree and disagree with all. Marklin is a company out
                    to make money ( the bottom line). If they have to raise prices to pay
                    the bills and move factory over to other countries they will. Every
                    Company here in America does that and no one here complains until to
                    there gone. Why should they be any different.
                    I personally think they should have two line like most big HO company
                    do. One high end with good engine, high detail and limited runs and
                    one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you and mix and match
                    the line for different price points and keep all happy.
                    I like to have both lower priced engines and higher one. Lower one
                    you can modify without thinking of the money you could lose and if
                    you take them somewhere you doesn't worry about something happening
                    to them. Higher one to collect and run at home as the jewel of your
                    collection and your railroad.
                    Kevin
                  • Tom Fisher
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                      I don't think anyone has said that Marklin has no
                      right to make a profit or to produce in China.

                      --- kd79ctls <kd79ctls@...> wrote:

                      > ---Hi
                      > I got to say I agree and disagree with all. Marklin
                      > is a company out
                      > to make money ( the bottom line). If they have to
                      > raise prices to pay
                      > the bills and move factory over to other countries
                      > they will. Every
                      > Company here in America does that and no one here
                      > complains until to
                      > there gone. Why should they be any different.
                      > I personally think they should have two line like
                      > most big HO company
                      > do. One high end with good engine, high detail and
                      > limited runs and
                      > one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you
                      > and mix and match
                      > the line for different price points and keep all
                      > happy.
                      > I like to have both lower priced engines and higher
                      > one. Lower one
                      > you can modify without thinking of the money you
                      > could lose and if
                      > you take them somewhere you doesn't worry about
                      > something happening
                      > to them. Higher one to collect and run at home as
                      > the jewel of your
                      > collection and your railroad.
                      > Kevin

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                        There was a long story in BUSINESS WEEK a few weeks ago that discussed
                        some of the problems General Motors was having because labor was working
                        about a 30 hour week and wanted to work LESS. That just might run the
                        cost of goods / pricing up a tad.

                        Don

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                          Sgt. Tim, those are words very well spoken.
                          Marklin is serious about the American market but
                          not serious enough. What it amounts to is too little
                          too late. They are not flexible in seeing changing
                          consumer demands. They are extremely rigid.
                          Harold Grady
                          --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zscaleinfo"
                          > <trains@z...> wrote:
                          > If
                          > > M�rklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of
                          > z-scale for
                          > everyone.
                          >

                          > I disagree!! And so will alot others. Z scale is
                          > here to stay and
                          > as far as I am concerned, Marklin can close their
                          > doors. I know
                          > that will disappoint many of you, but not me. I
                          > will not purchase
                          > any of their products and Price has nothing to do
                          > with it.
                          >
                          > Marklin has stood around for years only making that
                          > F7 goofy looking
                          > loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and
                          > the world to make
                          > a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL
                          > has broken ground
                          > and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has
                          > recognized this are
                          > are wanting a bigger piece of the action.
                          >
                          > I am a modern U.S. modeller and Marklins U.S. stuff
                          > is rediculous.
                          > Odd couplers, trucks set too far back, doesn't look
                          > prototypical
                          > (Despite what some say), and just doesn't appeal to
                          > me. I will
                          > admit to a select few Locomotives and rolling stock
                          > looking OK.
                          >
                          > Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin
                          > will be fighting
                          > for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the
                          > comments I am
                          > reading about what people are saying at these Train
                          > Shows about how
                          > amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are
                          > finally being
                          > produced. Z scales problem is plain and simple, we
                          > are not getting
                          > due media coverage. Give us an hour on National TV
                          > and we, the Z
                          > community, will grow by leaps and bounds.
                          >
                          > I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and
                          > not much
                          > competition. Heck, AZL and MTL are working together
                          > to not step on
                          > each others toes with the U.S. Locomotives they are
                          > producing, MTL
                          > is starting to dedicate more assets to "Z" and their
                          > are smaller up-
                          > and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops
                          > making Z, it won't
                          > bother me!
                          > My 2 cents to your comment.
                          >
                          > Tim

                          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                            --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit :

                            > Why would MTL, which exclusively models N. Am.
                            > prototypes, fail if Marklin went down especially
                            > since
                            > MTL is coming out with its own track?
                            >
                            > I have 1 Marlin tanker and 2 small diesel-hydraulic
                            > locos from Marklin. I could live without them. On
                            > the
                            > other hand, if it wasn't for MTL, Penzee, Robert
                            > Ray,
                            > FR, and AZL, I wouldn't own Z.

                            It's exactly the same for me.....
                            Dominique

                          • Ralph Scott
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                              Actually Marklin is the middle of the road when it comes to
                              European model train manufactures. There are plenty of other large
                              European companies whose prices are much higher but so is their
                              quality. Marklin bashers also should remember who started commercial
                              Z scale in the 1st place and the fact that it was aimed at the
                              european maket as 1st priority. It wasnt until repeated requests
                              from the US that the US outline was started. So I think if you bash
                              it too much you will lose it then we will see who stands on their
                              own.
                              If you think Marklin is expensive in the US then then try buying it
                              in New Zealand and then try buying MTL in New Zealand. Its all
                              relative ! - apart from their coupler design ( which can be
                              interchanged with MTL/KD and Jorger) marklin Z is an excellent
                              product with excellent reliability and robustness.
                              Ralph

                              > Actually, Märklin is still pretty much the only important z-scale
                              > manufacturer. Of course there are smaller manufacturers addressing
                              niche
                              > areas in z-scale product sphere and of course it is encouraging to
                              see that
                              > there are attempts to bring in the market alternative track
                              systems, for
                              > instance, but will they be here to stay? It remains to be seen. Z-
                              scale was
                              > born back in 1972 and the only manufacturer having made a serious
                              commitment
                              > to the scale so far is Märklin. With all due respect, Märklin is
                              the
                              > raison-d'etre for all the small series manufacturers around z-
                              scale. If
                              > Märklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of z-scale for
                              everyone. So
                              > simple.
                              >
                              > But despite of their earlier scepticism of the early 90's, Märklin
                              seem to
                              > have renewed their strong commitment to our scale and we should
                              all be happy
                              > for that. Just look at all those incredible new z-products they
                              have put out
                              > in the past few years, and we speak about truly new products here,
                              not just
                              > repaints. At least I think that products like the German V100, GG-
                              1, NOHAB,
                              > Anhalter Station kit and many others are truly remarkable.
                              Sometimes Märklin
                              > bashing of this list is just so plain silly and totally lacks the
                              realism.
                              > Reminds me of the Grimm's fairytale of fisherman's wife who was
                              always
                              > complaining of what she had no matter how much more she got and
                              ended up
                              > losing everything at the end.
                              >
                              > I don't think that any of us is collecting/operating z-scale
                              trains to save
                              > money. Z-scale is not a mainstream scale and higher precision
                              required in
                              > manufacturing and smaller series reflect on prices too. Also,
                              Märklin has
                              > never been known for making bargain basement products in any
                              scale. I am not
                              > happy with z-scale prices either which on the first look are
                              relatively
                              > high, but I try to weigh the higher price tags against what I
                              actually get.
                              > And my conclusion is that the price may be high, but it is also
                              justified in
                              > view of the true quality and customer support you get. It is not
                              once or
                              > twice that I have been pleasantly surprised when first buying from
                              a certain
                              > auction site older z-locomotives in an apparently bad shape and
                              when
                              > disassembling them for service noticed how incredibly well-built
                              they are
                              > and how they after servicing suddenly appear like brand new. I've
                              seen
                              > locomotives from early 70's, with hundreds of operating hours
                              behind them
                              > and yet, all metallic mechanisms inside were still in a wonderful
                              shape.
                              > Also, how many manufacturers actually can sell you spare parts for
                              > locomotives they made some 30 odd years ago in rare cases they are
                              required
                              > for repairs?
                              >
                              > We all have our freedom of choice, and there are those to whom the
                              price is
                              > everything. To those constantly complaining of the cost of z-
                              scale, I would
                              > just like to say that maybe you have simply chosen the wrong scale
                              in that
                              > case. Z-scale is bound to be more difficult, more expensive, more
                              > challenging but more rewarding too than "easier", more popular
                              scales. But
                              > one needs to have a right kind of attitude, more realism and
                              understanding
                              > the true nature of our scale would not hurt. And US dollars'
                              longtime
                              > downhill against Euro is beyond Märklin's control too.
                              >
                              > As to Märklin's z-scale model policies, of course they are
                              targeting
                              > collectors as well as those of us who like to run their trains.
                              It's like
                              > that with all the other scales too when it comes to high-end
                              manufacturers.
                              > I don't see it as a problem though. I think there is a very good
                              balance
                              > between collectibles and mass production models in Märklin product
                              catalog.
                              > There are buyers for both, has always been.
                              >
                              > Tapani Tuominen
                              > trains@z...
                            • bscaro
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                Hi

                                This thread has taken on a bit of a life of its own . . . but there
                                you go.

                                My original comments are directed more at the way Marklin position
                                themselves - and it seems to me they are positioning themselves to
                                appeal to a 'club' or elite 'collecting' market rather than
                                a 'modelling' one. That's my perception when visiting their dealers
                                with their show rooms in a number of countries.

                                What I wondered was whether that approach could be sustained in the
                                light of MT's entry into the market in a big way, with a locomotive
                                chassis choice that seems designed to enable them to quickly release
                                all the major EMD models of the 50s and 60s.

                                The idea of Marklin having two lines is one way around that problem,
                                and might be one thing they could do. They already do it to a limited
                                extent with little starter sets that are very reasonably priced with
                                the 0-6-0, one wagon and an oval of track.

                                And maybe not a bad idea, to be entirely selfish.

                                I could care less what Marklin bodies are like as I only use their
                                chassis. [And most of you already know my opinion of the US ones is
                                not high, but let's not go there again.]

                                But, to those who say they wouldn't care if Marklin upped stumps,
                                where would you get steam loco chassis ? Even the MT steam loco used
                                a Marklin chassis !

                                Let's not be unrealistic.

                                Cheers

                                Ben

                                > I personally think they should have two line like most big HO
                                company
                                > do. One high end with good engine, high detail and limited runs and
                                > one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you and mix and
                                match
                                > the line for different price points and keep all happy.

                              • zscaleinfo
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005

                                  I think you very much fail to see the reality of model train industry today.
                                  If Märklin really closed it's doors and dropped z-scale, it would, first of
                                  all, hit the consumer confidence in the future of z-scale worldwide. People
                                  would start to leave the sinking ship in masses and turn their eyes to other
                                  scales, N most likely. If they see that not even the world's biggest model
                                  train manufacturer believes in z-scale anymore, it's a very stong
                                  discouraging signal. The accessories manufacturers would reach the same
                                  conclusion and eventually discontinue their z product lines and focus on
                                  other, more lucrative scales instead of a dying curiosity, a minority scale
                                  on a way to extinction. The commercial risk of staying in the z-scale market
                                  without the credibility and inertia given to it by Märklin, the biggest and
                                  oldest model train manufacturer backing the scale would become unbearable.

                                  >Marklin has stood around for years only making that F7 goofy looking
                                  >loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and the world to make
                                  >a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL has broken ground
                                  >and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has recognized this are
                                  >are wanting a bigger piece of the action.

                                  The F7 you mention, is a product from a different era. In the 70's Märklin
                                  did cut the corners a little bit by using the same mechanism in several
                                  locomotive series which resulted in mildly distorted proportions in some
                                  products. In some locomotives it is more obvious than in others. Marklin has
                                  redone some of the older locomotives and introduced more true-to-scale
                                  successors with updated mechanisms. Most notably the German 216/218 series.
                                  If there is a demand and it becomes commercially viable, I am sure they will
                                  introduce a new version of F7 too.

                                  The product lines of the two manufactures you cite are not comprehensive
                                  enough to keep z-scale alive alone in a hypothetical situation that Märklin
                                  would leave the world of z. Back in the early 70's when Märklin introduced
                                  z-scale, there was not a single accessories manufacturer for z-scale. In
                                  order to make z-scale a viable alternative to N-scale and an immeadiate
                                  success, which was Märklin's goal very much, they had to offer, not only the
                                  rolling stock and a good selection of track segments, but also accessories
                                  of all sorts from signals and catenary to transformers and plastic
                                  structures kits. Even tiny automobiles in 1:220. Z-scale relies on the
                                  availability of readymade products more than other scales due to it's tiny
                                  size and support from accessories manufacturer's is essential if the model
                                  train manufacturer can not cover those needs.

                                  >Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin will be fighting
                                  >for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the comments I am
                                  >reading about what people are saying at these Train Shows about how
                                  >amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are finally being
                                  >produced.

                                  Talk is cheap. The real test is, will the new products sell well enough to
                                  encourage their manufacturers to expand the production or will they be
                                  forced to pull out after a while to minimize the losses. It is positive that
                                  so many manufacturers are showing interest in z-scale, but like I said, if
                                  Märklin pulled the plug, the others would think twice whether staying in
                                  z-scale makes sense or not.

                                  >I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and not much
                                  >competition.

                                  You seem to have a rather rosy idea of model train business. Even in the
                                  world's biggest z-scale market, that is Germany, there are still lot's of
                                  products that simply don't exist in z-scale, but would be very welcome and
                                  why is that? Because the accessories manufacturers at large simply do not
                                  consider it profitable to cater the needs of z-scalers at the same level as
                                  they do for N or HO customers. However, I do agree that we should encourage
                                  and see positivily the contributions of any manufacturer, big and small, to
                                  our beloved z-scale. And that includes Märklin too. Unfounded and highly
                                  emotional critizism of one manufacturer does not take us anywhere no matter
                                  how passionate we are about our hobby, which basically is a positive thing.
                                  Constructive feedback and suggestions to manufacturers work much better.
                                  Also, let's not forget that actually buying their products when we can, is
                                  the best way to support our hobby.

                                  >and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops making Z, it won't
                                  >bother me!

                                  Well, it surely would bother me and many others who would like the z-scale
                                  to be here to stay for years to come and progress worldwide.

                                  Tapani Tuominen
                                  trains@...
                                • sgt_tim7
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
                                    ........................................... But, to those who say
                                    they wouldn't care if Marklin upped stumps,
                                    where would you get steam loco chassis ? Even the MT steam loco
                                    used
                                    a Marklin chassis !

                                    AZL perhaps!!!!!!!! Perhaps a New company that hasn't been brought
                                    to life yet? With a dedication to "Z", a great business Plan and
                                    the right investors, a company could be born overnight that could
                                    rival both AZL and MTL. Point is, their is such a wide open gap of
                                    N. Am. locos and rolling stock that has never been attempted
                                    that "Z" could very well grow from 2%+ in total Model Railroading to
                                    25% or higher. With limited space and more multiple posibilities
                                    with "Z", more people would give up their HO and possibly their N
                                    layouts.

                                    Think of the miles and miles of "Z" scale track that could replace
                                    the thousands of feet of HO and N scale track that is represented on
                                    peoples layouts and modules. Layout space remains the same, but the
                                    acres of scale space would increase 10 fold. Having more space
                                    means needing more "Z" stuff to fill the void. If more Z is
                                    produced at a cheaper cost, then people will buy.

                                    My personal issue with Marklin- Thanks for starting "Z" in the
                                    world, but, you should have made modern US decades ago. I have
                                    followed "Z" for nearly 20 years. No modern diesel locos, no
                                    buy!!!! AZL changed all that for me. Sell all my N scale and now I
                                    am here! Yes, much more expensive, but as they say, Build it and
                                    they will buy! :) So many people are seeing what "Z" is
                                    developing into here, in the US, and they are getting into it.

                                    I say, the collectors can keep collecting, but the ones who are
                                    serious about the fun involved in this hobby, go forth and reap the
                                    rewards. NTS 2005 here I come!!!!

                                    I found 2 more pennies(cents)
                                    Tim
                                  • David Barnblatt
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                      I responded a few days ago about the Marklin debate with no comment from
                                      anyone regarding the real issue which is the value of the dollar. Here is my
                                      original post:

                                      It really has nothing to do with labor costs. It is the value of the dollar
                                      to the Euro. In addition Marklin USA operates as a separate entity. Meaning
                                      that Marklin USA needs to make money like everybody else. Marklin Germany
                                      sells to Marklin USA just like it sells to other shops and dealers across
                                      Europe. Take that into consideration, add the lousy exchange rate, Marklin
                                      USA's big mark-up and finally the mark-up from the dealer and there you have
                                      the huge prices we pay over here for this stuff.
                                      This really only effects dealers that buy from Marklin USA and not some
                                      internet dealers that buy from partners overseas. It really is not worth the
                                      price difference.
                                      A good example is, say, a Marklin 8856. Here, at a well known model train
                                      shop in LA the 8856 costs $419.98! From a well known auction site dealer in
                                      the Netherlands it runs 200 Euro to order it from them outside the auction
                                      environment. That's a huge price difference.
                                      So I would not blame Marklin Germany but Marklin USA.

                                      In addition:

                                      A few have commented that if Marklin dropped z scale that they wouldn't
                                      care. There are many members of this group, myself included that model
                                      European railways. I would definitely be very upset if Marklin dropped z
                                      scale. I certainly don't feel that way about AZL or MTL... They are
                                      creating beautiful models and expanding z, making it more of a viable scale
                                      so every body benefits.
                                      For 2005 many are "unimpressed" with the new offerings from Marklin. I for
                                      one found a very nice and long awaited Swiss steam locomotive. Pretty nice
                                      stuff!

                                      David

                                      On 2/28/05 3:56 PM, "overdosezd" <overdosezd@...> wrote:

                                      > Michael,
                                      >
                                      > Wow! Must be due to all that high-priced Chinese labor Marklin has
                                      > started using. I just got the 2005 catalog and was pretty
                                      > unimpressed. It was full of mostly older sets that must still be
                                      > languishing in the stockrooms. Even the GG1 is a bizarre choice.
                                      > First off, it's wrong. That particular GG1 had a riveted body. I
                                      > don't object to another Z GG1 but I would have rather had a more
                                      > commonplace paint scheme. The up side to all of this is that Micro-
                                      > Trains is ramping up with the roadbed track and the new diesel.
                                      > Speaking of MTL... The March page is up today and features a Z
                                      > survey. Please go and fill it in. Maybe if we all fill it out
                                      > they'll get some more product under development? And MTL prices are
                                      > always nicer than Marklin prices! Don't know how they manage to do
                                      > it without that high-priced Chinese workforce!
                                      >
                                      > Disguszted with Marklin 2005,
                                      >
                                      > Mark Lieske
                                    • bscaro
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
[...]

                                        ******

                                        I disagree with this. Take the example of Triang TT.

                                        British TT scale should have died by the early 70s after Triang
                                        dropped it. Nothing of the sort happened.

                                        People started making kits, mechanisms, etches, and British TT became
                                        a scale for high quality modelling, freed of the constraints of
                                        manufacturers compromises and their need for profit.

                                        Modellers became manufacturers, and instead of making high-cost items
                                        like RTR locomotives, instead produced generic components such as a
                                        range of wheels, chassis parts, motors, etc. Using these parts,
                                        modellers started building a wide range of locomotives and cars
                                        themselves.

                                        Most of the cottage manufacturers were in it for love, but given the
                                        right co-operative arrangements of an association set up to support
                                        the scale, TT did quite well.

                                        In essence, TT ceased to be a commercial scale and became a co-
                                        operative effort, a true modelling scale.

                                        In fact, when you look at British TT and other scales like 2mm, which
                                        is one of a number of examples which have *never* had the support of
                                        a major manufacturer -and the compromises in realism which go along
                                        with it ! - you see some of the best modelling today.

                                        Although it is not guaranteed, it is at least possible that a similar
                                        thing might happen in Z if Marklin exited the market.

                                        I hope they don't though.

                                        Ben