Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Campfire in Z

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello Tina,

      >> Not only that, but I think in my layout I would be modeling a
      >> forest fire using real flame

      > I just gave myself an idea for another layout!!! Does anyone know if
      > there are special requirements at exhibits and shows for models using
      > open flames? I think I would like to take on a challenge like this
      > and integrate it somehow to "flare up", then die down and smoke.

      Well... that would for sure bring a crowd together...
      ...but I believe the insurance folks will go nuts...

      > Wow....imagine doing that on a z-layout at a show. Anyone seen it in
      > another scale?

      not with live fire, but one of the two heads of the Miniaturwunderland
      in Hamburg, Germany (it take twins to be as nuts as they are :-) )
      loves everything in red with a ladder and flashing blue lights on it.

      They have those fire engines driving to a fire scene in one part of
      their layout. Downside is it' all H0 scale...
      ...guess what one could do with this space in Z :-)

      > I even had a bright idea for hooking up a helicopter and duster
      > plane for dropping water and all.......so they can actually "fly"
      > around. Hmmmmm.....

      actually flying is a thing they are thinking about too...
      ...but currently they are creating a layout part with real water and
      ferrys that carry trains...

      check out http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de and there the weekly
      report and the car system parts. The English part of the website is
      getting better and better all the time.

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Tina,

        Anything you can imagine is probably possible in "Z". However, in
        answer to your specific question about special requirements...the
        short answer is - OPEN FLAMES ARE SIMPLY NOT ALLOWED!" At every
        train show that I have attended the exhibits are checked over by the
        local fire marshall. I can assure you that any display with an open
        flame would be immediately ordered shut down and the fuel source
        removed from the premisses. In some cases where the fire marshall is
        not in such a good mood, the display could simply be ordered removed
        from the show altogether.

        Even in a home environment, I would strongly advise against
        installing any display with an open flame, no matter how cool the
        idea is. Before you go ahead with any such project, don't forget to
        inform your insurance provider. I'm sure that they will have an
        opinion on the advisability of such a situation. Unfortunately
        accidents do happen.

        Having running water, on the other hand, is an even greater challenge
        on a layout. There again, if left unattended and a leak should
        occur, there can be quite a mess to clean up, not to mention
        potential damage.

        Enjoy your trains,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Fraser" <t_dfraser@m...> wrote:

        > I just gave myself an idea for another layout!!! Does anyone know
        if
        > there are special requirements at exhibits and shows for models
        using
        > open flames?
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hi Tina,

          A burnt forest area is a lot of fun to model and relatively easy. It
          takes a small number of spirea twigs that you can "plant" and break
          to personal taste in the burnt area. The twigs can be blackened with
          an india ink wash in isoproply alcohol. I also used the india ink
          wash and diluted black acrylic paint dabbed on with a stiff brush to
          depict a burnt over section of woodland. The undegrowth being burnt
          up, I applied my ashes to a barren rock surface of prepainted
          styrofoam.

          Remeber that most of the smaller branches will have been destroyed so
          only the thicker trunks and branches should have survived the fire
          (depending on how long and how hot it burned - you are the fire
          warden so you can decide). In my case, the fire was caused by a
          cigarette tossed from a machinery operator at a wood cutting site.
          As a result, the fire was put out rather quickly so there was no need
          to show a large area of burnt off forest. The burnt area included
          several stumps from the woodcutting operation and a section of burnt
          trees.

          The great thing about this kind of scene is that you can place a
          smoke generator under the burnt forest and have smoke drift up
          through a fine mesh covering the access point to the generator. Here
          you can use some of those Preiser unpainted figurines (painted grimy
          black from head to toe) as members of the fire crew. No need for
          detail work on the figurines!

          Just as an afterthought, you could use real ashes tamped down with a
          fingertip onto the almost dry acrylic paint (I didn't do this so I
          have no idea what the final effect might be).

          Have fun!
          Jeffrey

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Fraser" <t_dfraser@m...> wrote:

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
          B) Has anyone modeled a forest fire? Or burnt land?
        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
            <SNIP> (from Tina)
            > > I even had a bright idea for hooking up a helicopter and duster
            > > plane for dropping water and all.......so they can actually "fly"
            > > around. Hmmmmm.....
            >
            > actually flying is a thing they are thinking about too...
            > ...but currently they are creating a layout part with real water and
            > ferrys that carry trains... <SNIP>

            Saw the flying technique described below used at a show a while back,
            a highly animated large N scale layout. Was very impressive and
            worthwhile for anyone who wants to try this.

            At opposite ends of the layout, poles held horizontal pulleys about 3-
            4 inches diameter (8-10cm but not critical) about 3 feet (1 meter)
            above the layout with thin nylon fishing line looped tightly between
            them. At one end a motor spun a pully, each pully was supported from
            the top only so that flying objects could be dangled from the loop by
            more thin fishing line. Little airplanes, hot air balloon, even a
            miniature Superman flew back and forth along the length of the
            layout. The thin nylon lines were almost invisible.
          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
              Hello Jeffrey,

              > Having running water, on the other hand, is an even greater challenge
              > on a layout. There again, if left unattended and a leak should
              > occur, there can be quite a mess to clean up, not to mention
              > potential damage.

              oh well, a friend of mine has an aquarium holding about 950 liters
              water in it. He says:

              "Any halfway decent carpet can clear about 100 liters anyway..."

              Now imagine what you can model with only half of it in Z scale :-)

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe