Märklin Price Increase of 19% for 2005

  • miked_r@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hi all,

      I just got off the phone with my Märklin dealer where I ordered some
      passenger cars and uncoupler tracks.

      I had noticed his GG-1 price had gone up about 20% since I bought mine
      in December.

      He told me that the exchange rate Märklin had for 2004 was very
      favorable but that as of February 1, 2005 they had increased it about
      19% and to expect that most prices of new releases and new inventory
      will be going up about that much.

      The old Euro-Dollar exchange rate rears its ugly head once more! This
      will probably be good for Micro-Train Lines this year...

      Just an FYI,

      Michael
    • omg_joel
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 28, 2005
        I was shown on my dealers computer on Friday that the suggested retail of Marklin in Germany, is LESS than what the North American COST is to dealers in the US, from Marklin USA. I am aware that many dealers in the USA own or are in partnership with German dealers
        which is going to give them a much lower price than the little guy in retail in the US or Canada, and consequently, more stuff will be ordered on the web through websites that are supplied by Marklin in Germany. When a German dealer exports something, he does not have to add a 16% tax, but even before that tax is added, the retail there will be less than the dealer cost to US or Canadian retailers. This will, in my estimation close the US office, and only then will all the other smaller retailers be equal to the bigger guys.
        This I think will be a bumper year for other manufacturers, especially MTL. As a matter of fact, the 2005 catalogue shows little hope that North American Z scalers will be buying anything other than the GG1.
        I think this is a giant step backwards for Marklin, and, seeing alot of their product will not be produced in Germany, but outsourced to Hungary, China, etc, one would have assumed lower prices, not a 25 to 30 percent increase to North American Z scalers, and if we hope to increase the numbers of Z scalers, this will not help.
        Last but not least, why does does an HO engine with DCC, lights, smoke, and sound, made of all metal body, cost less than a plastic shelled Z scale engine.All this has nothing to do with the Euro, or the weekened US dollar. Its just bad business.
        Just my 2 cents worth, no import tax applicable.

        Regards Joel
        miked_r@... wrote:
        Hi all,

        I had noticed his GG-1 price had gone up about 20% since I bought mine

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Regards , Joel

      • overdosezd
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 28, 2005
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, miked_r@y... wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I just got off the phone with my Märklin dealer where I ordered
          some
          > passenger cars and uncoupler tracks.
          >
          > I had noticed his GG-1 price had gone up about 20% since I bought
          mine
          > in December.
          >
          > He told me that the exchange rate Märklin had for 2004 was very
          > favorable but that as of February 1, 2005 they had increased it
          about
          > 19% and to expect that most prices of new releases and new
          inventory
          > will be going up about that much.
          >
          > The old Euro-Dollar exchange rate rears its ugly head once more!
          This
          > will probably be good for Micro-Train Lines this year...
          >
          > Just an FYI,
          >
          > Michael

          Michael,

          Wow! Must be due to all that high-priced Chinese labor Marklin has
          started using. I just got the 2005 catalog and was pretty
          unimpressed. It was full of mostly older sets that must still be
          languishing in the stockrooms. Even the GG1 is a bizarre choice.
          First off, it's wrong. That particular GG1 had a riveted body. I
          don't object to another Z GG1 but I would have rather had a more
          commonplace paint scheme. The up side to all of this is that Micro-
          Trains is ramping up with the roadbed track and the new diesel.
          Speaking of MTL... The March page is up today and features a Z
          survey. Please go and fill it in. Maybe if we all fill it out
          they'll get some more product under development? And MTL prices are
          always nicer than Marklin prices! Don't know how they manage to do
          it without that high-priced Chinese workforce!

          Disguszted with Marklin 2005,

          Mark Lieske
        • David Barnblatt
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 28, 2005
            It really has nothing to do with labor costs. It is the value of the dollar
            to the Euro. In addition Marklin USA operates as a separate entity. Meaning
            that Marklin USA needs to make money like everybody else. Marklin Germany
            sells to Marklin USA just like it sells to other shops and dealers across
            Europe. Take that into consideration, add the lousy exchange rate, Marklin
            USA's big mark-up and finally the mark-up from the dealer and there you have
            the huge prices we pay over here for this stuff.
            This really only effects dealers that buy from Marklin USA and not some
            internet dealers that buy from partners overseas. It really is not worth the
            price difference.
            A good example is, say, a Marklin 8856. Here, at a well known model train
            shop in LA the 8856 costs $419.98! From a well known auction site dealer in
            the Netherlands it runs 200 Euro to order it from them outside the auction
            environment. That's a huge price difference.
            So I would not blame Marklin Germany but Marklin USA.

            On 2/28/05 3:56 PM, "overdosezd" <overdosezd@...> wrote:

            > Michael,
            >
            > Wow! Must be due to all that high-priced Chinese labor Marklin has
            > started using. I just got the 2005 catalog and was pretty
            > unimpressed. It was full of mostly older sets that must still be
            > languishing in the stockrooms. Even the GG1 is a bizarre choice.
            > First off, it's wrong. That particular GG1 had a riveted body. I
            > don't object to another Z GG1 but I would have rather had a more
            > commonplace paint scheme. The up side to all of this is that Micro-
            > Trains is ramping up with the roadbed track and the new diesel.
            > Speaking of MTL... The March page is up today and features a Z
            > survey. Please go and fill it in. Maybe if we all fill it out
            > they'll get some more product under development? And MTL prices are
            > always nicer than Marklin prices! Don't know how they manage to do
            > it without that high-priced Chinese workforce!
            >
            > Disguszted with Marklin 2005,
            >
            > Mark Lieske
          • bscaro
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
              IMHO, Marklin has operated as a sort of cosy club, an arrangement
              suitable when one is the only supplier in the market. The way they
              work with special releases/limited runs and consumer loyalty 'clubs'
              seems to indicate that they are geared to the collector who doesn't
              mind paying a premium.

              I just visited their dealer in Malaysia and was amazed at the
              prices . . . suffice to say I didn't buy anything.

              I wonder if the stronger commitment of MTL to Z will cause some re-
              assessment of their strategy. It may well be that there are two
              distinct markets, a modelling market and a collecting market, and
              that Marklin won't be impacted to any extent, but we'll see.

              Ben
            • zscaleinfo
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                >IMHO, Marklin has operated as a sort of cosy club, an
                >arrangement suitable when one is the only supplier in the
                >market. The way they work with special releases/limited runs
                >and consumer loyalty 'clubs'
                >seems to indicate that they are geared to the collector who
                >doesn't mind paying a premium.

                Actually, Märklin is still pretty much the only important z-scale
                manufacturer. Of course there are smaller manufacturers addressing niche
                areas in z-scale product sphere and of course it is encouraging to see that
                there are attempts to bring in the market alternative track systems, for
                instance, but will they be here to stay? It remains to be seen. Z-scale was
                born back in 1972 and the only manufacturer having made a serious commitment
                to the scale so far is Märklin. With all due respect, Märklin is the
                raison-d'etre for all the small series manufacturers around z-scale. If
                Märklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of z-scale for everyone. So
                simple.

                But despite of their earlier scepticism of the early 90's, Märklin seem to
                have renewed their strong commitment to our scale and we should all be happy
                for that. Just look at all those incredible new z-products they have put out
                in the past few years, and we speak about truly new products here, not just
                repaints. At least I think that products like the German V100, GG-1, NOHAB,
                Anhalter Station kit and many others are truly remarkable. Sometimes Märklin
                bashing of this list is just so plain silly and totally lacks the realism.
                Reminds me of the Grimm's fairytale of fisherman's wife who was always
                complaining of what she had no matter how much more she got and ended up
                losing everything at the end.

                I don't think that any of us is collecting/operating z-scale trains to save
                money. Z-scale is not a mainstream scale and higher precision required in
                manufacturing and smaller series reflect on prices too. Also, Märklin has
                never been known for making bargain basement products in any scale. I am not
                happy with z-scale prices either which on the first look are relatively
                high, but I try to weigh the higher price tags against what I actually get.
                And my conclusion is that the price may be high, but it is also justified in
                view of the true quality and customer support you get. It is not once or
                twice that I have been pleasantly surprised when first buying from a certain
                auction site older z-locomotives in an apparently bad shape and when
                disassembling them for service noticed how incredibly well-built they are
                and how they after servicing suddenly appear like brand new. I've seen
                locomotives from early 70's, with hundreds of operating hours behind them
                and yet, all metallic mechanisms inside were still in a wonderful shape.
                Also, how many manufacturers actually can sell you spare parts for
                locomotives they made some 30 odd years ago in rare cases they are required
                for repairs?

                We all have our freedom of choice, and there are those to whom the price is
                everything. To those constantly complaining of the cost of z-scale, I would
                just like to say that maybe you have simply chosen the wrong scale in that
                case. Z-scale is bound to be more difficult, more expensive, more
                challenging but more rewarding too than "easier", more popular scales. But
                one needs to have a right kind of attitude, more realism and understanding
                the true nature of our scale would not hurt. And US dollars' longtime
                downhill against Euro is beyond Märklin's control too.

                As to Märklin's z-scale model policies, of course they are targeting
                collectors as well as those of us who like to run their trains. It's like
                that with all the other scales too when it comes to high-end manufacturers.
                I don't see it as a problem though. I think there is a very good balance
                between collectibles and mass production models in Märklin product catalog.
                There are buyers for both, has always been.

                Tapani Tuominen
                trains@...
              • sgt_tim7
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zscaleinfo" <trains@z...> wrote:
                  If
                  > Märklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of z-scale for
                  everyone.

                  I disagree!! And so will alot others. Z scale is here to stay and
                  as far as I am concerned, Marklin can close their doors. I know
                  that will disappoint many of you, but not me. I will not purchase
                  any of their products and Price has nothing to do with it.

                  Marklin has stood around for years only making that F7 goofy looking
                  loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and the world to make
                  a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL has broken ground
                  and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has recognized this are
                  are wanting a bigger piece of the action.

                  I am a modern U.S. modeller and Marklins U.S. stuff is rediculous.
                  Odd couplers, trucks set too far back, doesn't look prototypical
                  (Despite what some say), and just doesn't appeal to me. I will
                  admit to a select few Locomotives and rolling stock looking OK.

                  Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin will be fighting
                  for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the comments I am
                  reading about what people are saying at these Train Shows about how
                  amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are finally being
                  produced. Z scales problem is plain and simple, we are not getting
                  due media coverage. Give us an hour on National TV and we, the Z
                  community, will grow by leaps and bounds.

                  I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and not much
                  competition. Heck, AZL and MTL are working together to not step on
                  each others toes with the U.S. Locomotives they are producing, MTL
                  is starting to dedicate more assets to "Z" and their are smaller up-
                  and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops making Z, it won't
                  bother me!
                  My 2 cents to your comment.

                  Tim
                • miked_r@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                    I couldn't agree more.

                    Just so it is understood, I am more upset with the Euro-Dollar
                    exchange rate than Marklin. My point is that everyone should be ready
                    for 19% sticker shock. I happen to work for a Japanese company. We
                    keep prices low but sacrifice product as the Yen strengthens against
                    the dollar. But 7 years ago, when we made both large profit and had a
                    strong dollar, we put away those profits or reinvested in R&D.

                    Marklin is in business to make money, whether in Germany or the U.S.
                    or anywhere around the world. Anyone in business to lose money will
                    not last very long.

                    I have no beef with Marklin as some who have posted seem to, just
                    making this large customer base aware of the realities of the
                    Euro-Dollar exchange rate. I ended up with a bargain when I bought my
                    GG-1 a few months back. I love the GG-1 and all of my Marklin
                    products, whether old or new, even the fidgety turnouts...

                    I have priced some of the European sellers and their prices are not as
                    good as buying from the dealer I work with in Michigan. I work with
                    him only because I don't have to pay NY State sales tax*, his prices
                    are lower than anyone else and he will order whatever is not in stock.
                    His shipping is fair. (*I do end up declaring my non-taxed
                    online/mail/phone-order retail purchases at year's end on my NY State
                    tax return-a new requirement; NY State never misses a chance to
                    collect tax; So I do end up paying tax somewhere along the line...)

                    Michael
                  • miked_r@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                      Please substitute "profit" for "product" after the word "sacrifice" in
                      the paragraph below...

                      (grinning sheepishly...)

                      Michael

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, miked_r@y... wrote:

                      > I couldn't agree more.
                      >
                      > Just so it is understood, I am more upset with the Euro-Dollar
                      > exchange rate than Marklin. My point is that everyone should be ready
                      > for 19% sticker shock. I happen to work for a Japanese company. We
                      > keep prices low but sacrifice product as the Yen strengthens against
                      > the dollar. But 7 years ago, when we made both large profit and had a
                      > strong dollar, we put away those profits or reinvested in R&D
                    • Tom Fisher
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                        Why would MTL, which exclusively models N. Am.
                        prototypes, fail if Marklin went down especially since
                        MTL is coming out with its own track?

                        I have 1 Marlin tanker and 2 small diesel-hydraulic
                        locos from Marklin. I could live without them. On the
                        other hand, if it wasn't for MTL, Penzee, Robert Ray,
                        FR, and AZL, I wouldn't own Z.

                        --- zscaleinfo <trains@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > expensive, more
                        > challenging but more rewarding too than "easier",
                        > more popular scales. But
                        > one needs to have a right kind of attitude, more
                        > realism and understanding
                        > the true nature of our scale would not hurt. And US
                        > dollars' longtime
                        > downhill against Euro is beyond M�rklin's control
                        > too.
                        >
                        > As to M�rklin's z-scale model policies, of course
                        > they are targeting
                        > collectors as well as those of us who like to run
                        > their trains. It's like
                        > that with all the other scales too when it comes to
                        > high-end manufacturers.
                        > I don't see it as a problem though. I think there is
                        > a very good balance
                        > between collectibles and mass production models in
                        > M�rklin product catalog.
                        > There are buyers for both, has always been.

                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                      • Jeffrey MacHan
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                          Hello Tapani,

                          Thank you for a masterful explanation of the role Märklin has and
                          still plays in the "Z" universe.

                          You are quite right in that no other company comes close to Märklin
                          in terms of capital investment, product lines, international market
                          share and revenus generated from "Z". During my discussions with Joe
                          Rocchia of Märklin in Göppingen, he mentioned that "Z" represented up
                          to 15% of the company's production. Although I am not aware of any
                          published figures, Märklin's annual revenues are thought to be in the
                          250 - 300 million USD range although the company has publicly
                          acknowledged that revenues have been dropping sharply. In any case,
                          it is possible that the "Z" portion would be somewhere in the 15 - 30
                          million USD. (If anyone has more credible numbers, please jump in).
                          NOTE: this is only an educated guess but if this is the case,
                          Märklin's "Z" revenues would be about the same or larger than Micro-
                          Trains Line's annual revenues.

                          But the toy industry is changing rapidly and Märklin is feeling the
                          heat from cheaper, overseas production. It now appears that 2/3 of
                          toy train production comes from China. In fact, Märklin's management
                          feels that the company is faced with "extinction".

                          "We have tried as much as possible to keep our production in
                          Germany", said Maerklin boss Paul Adams. "So we raised our prices
                          and now we find ourselves in a situation where the market no longer
                          accepts them".

                          Read the entire article here:
                          http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_business_story_skin/461645%3fformat=html

                          A 1992 Harvard Business Review article by H. Simon entitled "Lessons
                          From Germany's Midsize Giants" examines Märklin's corporate culture
                          and helps to explain the current crisis the company is facing.

                          <http://groups.google.ca/groups?
                          q=marklin+revenues&hl=en&lr=&selm=cf697647.0303011927.5346d72e%
                          40posting.google.com&rnum=2>

                          Food for thought,
                          Jeffrey MacHan
                        • Flayrah
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                            I wouldn't be surprised if Marklin completely stopped manufacturing
                            US prototype equipment. For 2005, there only appears to be
                            one "new" item, and that's a re-paint; plus I've noticed some
                            dealers are placing the 2003 and 2004 US "starter sets" on sale -
                            perhaps an indication that they didn't sell well? If Marklin
                            perceives a lack of interest in sales of these items, they may
                            decide the market won't support new or additional products.
                          • randy smidt
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                              As far as North American product, Marklin may simply
                              retrench at this point and wait out the exchange rate
                              problem like many other European businesses are doing.
                              Besides, with all the new releases planned from MTL,
                              AZL and smaller manufacturers, Marklin will have a
                              hard time competing in the US market this year.

                              I think that if MTL came out with a steamer priced
                              even as high as $300 and passenger cars, Marklin would
                              see sales of North American prototype trains drop to
                              almost nothing. Of course, so far MTL has shown no
                              interest in passenger trains. I personally model both
                              N.A. and German prototypes, so I will still buy
                              Marklin product as long as I can afford it. If I
                              really want something, I have been know to save up for
                              two years or even buy something on lay away.

                              The GG-1 is one of the best locos I have (in any
                              scale)! But with one new product a year for North
                              America (and a very regional, though important,
                              product at that) Marklin isn't going to keep up with
                              MTL or even AZL.

                              One thing to keep in mind is that MTL has stated that
                              they are now looking at Z scale as a growth market and
                              even AZL is starting to produce more competitively
                              priced locos while Marklin still sees Z scale as a
                              small portion of their sales. Even IF Marklin's Z
                              scale sales surpass all of MTL's N and Z sales
                              combined, the attitude toward the product line IS
                              different!

                              Isn't speculating entertaining! ;-)

                              Randy Smidt

                              --- Flayrah <flayrah@...> wrote:

                              > I wouldn't be surprised if Marklin completely
                              > stopped manufacturing
                              > US prototype equipment. For 2005, there only
                              > appears to be
                              > one "new" item, and that's a re-paint; plus I've
                              > noticed some
                              > dealers are placing the 2003 and 2004 US "starter
                              > sets" on sale -
                              > perhaps an indication that they didn't sell well?
                              > If Marklin
                              > perceives a lack of interest in sales of these
                              > items, they may
                              > decide the market won't support new or additional
                              > products.
                              >

                              > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
                              > Small DoseZ!
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • kd79ctls
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                ---Hi
                                I got to say I agree and disagree with all. Marklin is a company out
                                to make money ( the bottom line). If they have to raise prices to pay
                                the bills and move factory over to other countries they will. Every
                                Company here in America does that and no one here complains until to
                                there gone. Why should they be any different.
                                I personally think they should have two line like most big HO company
                                do. One high end with good engine, high detail and limited runs and
                                one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you and mix and match
                                the line for different price points and keep all happy.
                                I like to have both lower priced engines and higher one. Lower one
                                you can modify without thinking of the money you could lose and if
                                you take them somewhere you doesn't worry about something happening
                                to them. Higher one to collect and run at home as the jewel of your
                                collection and your railroad.
                                Kevin
                              • Tom Fisher
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                  I don't think anyone has said that Marklin has no
                                  right to make a profit or to produce in China.

                                  --- kd79ctls <kd79ctls@...> wrote:

                                  > ---Hi
                                  > I got to say I agree and disagree with all. Marklin
                                  > is a company out
                                  > to make money ( the bottom line). If they have to
                                  > raise prices to pay
                                  > the bills and move factory over to other countries
                                  > they will. Every
                                  > Company here in America does that and no one here
                                  > complains until to
                                  > there gone. Why should they be any different.
                                  > I personally think they should have two line like
                                  > most big HO company
                                  > do. One high end with good engine, high detail and
                                  > limited runs and
                                  > one lower with somewhat a lower price tag. Then you
                                  > and mix and match
                                  > the line for different price points and keep all
                                  > happy.
                                  > I like to have both lower priced engines and higher
                                  > one. Lower one
                                  > you can modify without thinking of the money you
                                  > could lose and if
                                  > you take them somewhere you doesn't worry about
                                  > something happening
                                  > to them. Higher one to collect and run at home as
                                  > the jewel of your
                                  > collection and your railroad.
                                  > Kevin

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Don
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                    There was a long story in BUSINESS WEEK a few weeks ago that discussed
                                    some of the problems General Motors was having because labor was working
                                    about a 30 hour week and wanted to work LESS. That just might run the
                                    cost of goods / pricing up a tad.

                                    Don

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                      Sgt. Tim, those are words very well spoken.
                                      Marklin is serious about the American market but
                                      not serious enough. What it amounts to is too little
                                      too late. They are not flexible in seeing changing
                                      consumer demands. They are extremely rigid.
                                      Harold Grady
                                      --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zscaleinfo"
                                      > <trains@z...> wrote:
                                      > If
                                      > > M�rklin pulls the plug, it will be the end of
                                      > z-scale for
                                      > everyone.
                                      >

                                      > I disagree!! And so will alot others. Z scale is
                                      > here to stay and
                                      > as far as I am concerned, Marklin can close their
                                      > doors. I know
                                      > that will disappoint many of you, but not me. I
                                      > will not purchase
                                      > any of their products and Price has nothing to do
                                      > with it.
                                      >
                                      > Marklin has stood around for years only making that
                                      > F7 goofy looking
                                      > loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and
                                      > the world to make
                                      > a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL
                                      > has broken ground
                                      > and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has
                                      > recognized this are
                                      > are wanting a bigger piece of the action.
                                      >
                                      > I am a modern U.S. modeller and Marklins U.S. stuff
                                      > is rediculous.
                                      > Odd couplers, trucks set too far back, doesn't look
                                      > prototypical
                                      > (Despite what some say), and just doesn't appeal to
                                      > me. I will
                                      > admit to a select few Locomotives and rolling stock
                                      > looking OK.
                                      >
                                      > Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin
                                      > will be fighting
                                      > for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the
                                      > comments I am
                                      > reading about what people are saying at these Train
                                      > Shows about how
                                      > amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are
                                      > finally being
                                      > produced. Z scales problem is plain and simple, we
                                      > are not getting
                                      > due media coverage. Give us an hour on National TV
                                      > and we, the Z
                                      > community, will grow by leaps and bounds.
                                      >
                                      > I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and
                                      > not much
                                      > competition. Heck, AZL and MTL are working together
                                      > to not step on
                                      > each others toes with the U.S. Locomotives they are
                                      > producing, MTL
                                      > is starting to dedicate more assets to "Z" and their
                                      > are smaller up-
                                      > and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops
                                      > making Z, it won't
                                      > bother me!
                                      > My 2 cents to your comment.
                                      >
                                      > Tim

                                      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                        --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit :

                                        > Why would MTL, which exclusively models N. Am.
                                        > prototypes, fail if Marklin went down especially
                                        > since
                                        > MTL is coming out with its own track?
                                        >
                                        > I have 1 Marlin tanker and 2 small diesel-hydraulic
                                        > locos from Marklin. I could live without them. On
                                        > the
                                        > other hand, if it wasn't for MTL, Penzee, Robert
                                        > Ray,
                                        > FR, and AZL, I wouldn't own Z.

                                        It's exactly the same for me.....
                                        Dominique

                                      • Ralph Scott
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                          Actually Marklin is the middle of the road when it comes to
                                          European model train manufactures. There are plenty of other large
                                          European companies whose prices are much higher but so is their
                                          quality. Marklin bashers also should remember who started commercial
                                          Z scale in the 1st place and the fact that it was aimed at the
                                          european maket as 1st priority. It wasnt until repeated requests
                                          from the US that the US outline was started. So I think if you bash
                                          it too much you will lose it then we will see who stands on their
                                          own.
                                          If you think Marklin is expensive in the US then then try buying it
                                          in New Zealand and then try buying MTL in New Zealand. Its all
                                          relative ! - apart from their coupler design ( which can be
                                          interchanged with MTL/KD and Jorger) marklin Z is an excellent
                                          product with excellent reliability and robustness.
                                          Ralph

> [...]
                                          scales. But
                                          > one needs to have a right kind of attitude, more realism and
                                          understanding
                                          > the true nature of our scale would not hurt. And US dollars'
                                          longtime
                                          > downhill against Euro is beyond Märklin's control too.
                                          >
                                          > As to Märklin's z-scale model policies, of course they are
                                          targeting
                                          > collectors as well as those of us who like to run their trains.
                                          It's like
                                          > that with all the other scales too when it comes to high-end
                                          manufacturers.
                                          > I don't see it as a problem though. I think there is a very good
                                          balance
                                          > between collectibles and mass production models in Märklin product
                                          catalog.
                                          > There are buyers for both, has always been.

                                        • bscaro
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                            Hi

                                            This thread has taken on a bit of a life of its own . . . but there
                                            you go.

                                            My original comments are directed more at the way Marklin position
                                            themselves - and it seems to me they are positioning themselves to
                                            appeal to a 'club' or elite 'collecting' market rather than
                                            a 'modelling' one. That's my perception when visiting their dealers
                                            with their show rooms in a number of countries.

                                            What I wondered was whether that approach could be sustained in the
                                            light of MT's entry into the market in a big way, with a locomotive
                                            chassis choice that seems designed to enable them to quickly release
                                            all the major EMD models of the 50s and 60s.

                                            The idea of Marklin having two lines is one way around that problem,
                                            and might be one thing they could do. They already do it to a limited
                                            extent with little starter sets that are very reasonably priced with
                                            the 0-6-0, one wagon and an oval of track.

                                            And maybe not a bad idea, to be entirely selfish.

                                            I could care less what Marklin bodies are like as I only use their
                                            chassis. [And most of you already know my opinion of the US ones is
                                            not high, but let's not go there again.]

                                            But, to those who say they wouldn't care if Marklin upped stumps,
                                            where would you get steam loco chassis ? Even the MT steam loco used
                                            a Marklin chassis !

                                            Let's not be unrealistic.

                                            Cheers

                                            Ben

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005

                                              I think you very much fail to see the reality of model train industry today.
                                              If Märklin really closed it's doors and dropped z-scale, it would, first of
                                              all, hit the consumer confidence in the future of z-scale worldwide. People
                                              would start to leave the sinking ship in masses and turn their eyes to other
                                              scales, N most likely. If they see that not even the world's biggest model
                                              train manufacturer believes in z-scale anymore, it's a very stong
                                              discouraging signal. The accessories manufacturers would reach the same
                                              conclusion and eventually discontinue their z product lines and focus on
                                              other, more lucrative scales instead of a dying curiosity, a minority scale
                                              on a way to extinction. The commercial risk of staying in the z-scale market
                                              without the credibility and inertia given to it by Märklin, the biggest and
                                              oldest model train manufacturer backing the scale would become unbearable.

                                              >Marklin has stood around for years only making that F7 goofy looking
                                              >loco while leaving the rest of us begging them and the world to make
                                              >a Modern version of a US locomotive. Finally, AZL has broken ground
                                              >and they haven't stopped running yet. MTL has recognized this are
                                              >are wanting a bigger piece of the action.

                                              The F7 you mention, is a product from a different era. In the 70's Märklin
                                              did cut the corners a little bit by using the same mechanism in several
                                              locomotive series which resulted in mildly distorted proportions in some
                                              products. In some locomotives it is more obvious than in others. Marklin has
                                              redone some of the older locomotives and introduced more true-to-scale
                                              successors with updated mechanisms. Most notably the German 216/218 series.
                                              If there is a demand and it becomes commercially viable, I am sure they will
                                              introduce a new version of F7 too.

                                              The product lines of the two manufactures you cite are not comprehensive
                                              enough to keep z-scale alive alone in a hypothetical situation that Märklin
                                              would leave the world of z. Back in the early 70's when Märklin introduced
                                              z-scale, there was not a single accessories manufacturer for z-scale. In
                                              order to make z-scale a viable alternative to N-scale and an immeadiate
                                              success, which was Märklin's goal very much, they had to offer, not only the
                                              rolling stock and a good selection of track segments, but also accessories
                                              of all sorts from signals and catenary to transformers and plastic
                                              structures kits. Even tiny automobiles in 1:220. Z-scale relies on the
                                              availability of readymade products more than other scales due to it's tiny
                                              size and support from accessories manufacturer's is essential if the model
                                              train manufacturer can not cover those needs.

                                              >Before you know it, and it is coming fast, Marklin will be fighting
                                              >for the U.S. market. It is apparent to me, by the comments I am
                                              >reading about what people are saying at these Train Shows about how
                                              >amazed they are that NEW U.S. Items, modern, are finally being
                                              >produced.

                                              Talk is cheap. The real test is, will the new products sell well enough to
                                              encourage their manufacturers to expand the production or will they be
                                              forced to pull out after a while to minimize the losses. It is positive that
                                              so many manufacturers are showing interest in z-scale, but like I said, if
                                              Märklin pulled the plug, the others would think twice whether staying in
                                              z-scale makes sense or not.

                                              >I applaud the new comers. So much to produce and not much
                                              >competition.

                                              You seem to have a rather rosy idea of model train business. Even in the
                                              world's biggest z-scale market, that is Germany, there are still lot's of
                                              products that simply don't exist in z-scale, but would be very welcome and
                                              why is that? Because the accessories manufacturers at large simply do not
                                              consider it profitable to cater the needs of z-scalers at the same level as
                                              they do for N or HO customers. However, I do agree that we should encourage
                                              and see positivily the contributions of any manufacturer, big and small, to
                                              our beloved z-scale. And that includes Märklin too. Unfounded and highly
                                              emotional critizism of one manufacturer does not take us anywhere no matter
                                              how passionate we are about our hobby, which basically is a positive thing.
                                              Constructive feedback and suggestions to manufacturers work much better.
                                              Also, let's not forget that actually buying their products when we can, is
                                              the best way to support our hobby.

                                              >and-coming companies out their. If Marklin stops making Z, it won't
                                              >bother me!

                                              Well, it surely would bother me and many others who would like the z-scale
                                              to be here to stay for years to come and progress worldwide.

                                              Tapani Tuominen
                                              trains@...
                                            • sgt_tim7
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bscaro" <bscaro@y...> wrote:
                                                ........................................... But, to those who say
                                                they wouldn't care if Marklin upped stumps,
                                                where would you get steam loco chassis ? Even the MT steam loco
                                                used
                                                a Marklin chassis !

                                                AZL perhaps!!!!!!!! Perhaps a New company that hasn't been brought
                                                to life yet? With a dedication to "Z", a great business Plan and
                                                the right investors, a company could be born overnight that could
                                                rival both AZL and MTL. Point is, their is such a wide open gap of
                                                N. Am. locos and rolling stock that has never been attempted
                                                that "Z" could very well grow from 2%+ in total Model Railroading to
                                                25% or higher. With limited space and more multiple posibilities
                                                with "Z", more people would give up their HO and possibly their N
                                                layouts.

                                                Think of the miles and miles of "Z" scale track that could replace
                                                the thousands of feet of HO and N scale track that is represented on
                                                peoples layouts and modules. Layout space remains the same, but the
                                                acres of scale space would increase 10 fold. Having more space
                                                means needing more "Z" stuff to fill the void. If more Z is
                                                produced at a cheaper cost, then people will buy.

                                                My personal issue with Marklin- Thanks for starting "Z" in the
                                                world, but, you should have made modern US decades ago. I have
                                                followed "Z" for nearly 20 years. No modern diesel locos, no
                                                buy!!!! AZL changed all that for me. Sell all my N scale and now I
                                                am here! Yes, much more expensive, but as they say, Build it and
                                                they will buy! :) So many people are seeing what "Z" is
                                                developing into here, in the US, and they are getting into it.

                                                I say, the collectors can keep collecting, but the ones who are
                                                serious about the fun involved in this hobby, go forth and reap the
                                                rewards. NTS 2005 here I come!!!!

                                                I found 2 more pennies(cents)
                                                Tim
                                              • David Barnblatt
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
                                                  I responded a few days ago about the Marklin debate with no comment from
                                                  anyone regarding the real issue which is the value of the dollar. Here is my
                                                  original post:

[...]

                                                  In addition:

                                                  A few have commented that if Marklin dropped z scale that they wouldn't
                                                  care. There are many members of this group, myself included that model
                                                  European railways. I would definitely be very upset if Marklin dropped z
                                                  scale. I certainly don't feel that way about AZL or MTL... They are
                                                  creating beautiful models and expanding z, making it more of a viable scale
                                                  so every body benefits.
                                                  For 2005 many are "unimpressed" with the new offerings from Marklin. I for
                                                  one found a very nice and long awaited Swiss steam locomotive. Pretty nice
                                                  stuff!

                                                  David

                                                  On 2/28/05 3:56 PM, "overdosezd" <overdosezd@...> wrote:

                                                  > Michael,
                                                  >
                                                  > Wow! Must be due to all that high-priced Chinese labor Marklin has
                                                  > started using. I just got the 2005 catalog and was pretty
                                                  > unimpressed. It was full of mostly older sets that must still be
                                                  > languishing in the stockrooms. Even the GG1 is a bizarre choice.
                                                  > First off, it's wrong. That particular GG1 had a riveted body. I
                                                  > don't object to another Z GG1 but I would have rather had a more
                                                  > commonplace paint scheme. The up side to all of this is that Micro-
                                                  > Trains is ramping up with the roadbed track and the new diesel.
                                                  > Speaking of MTL... The March page is up today and features a Z
                                                  > survey. Please go and fill it in. Maybe if we all fill it out
                                                  > they'll get some more product under development? And MTL prices are
                                                  > always nicer than Marklin prices! Don't know how they manage to do
                                                  > it without that high-priced Chinese workforce!
                                                  >
                                                  > Disguszted with Marklin 2005,
                                                  >
                                                  > Mark Lieske
                                                • bscaro
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 2, 2005
[...]

                                                    ******

                                                    I disagree with this. Take the example of Triang TT.

                                                    British TT scale should have died by the early 70s after Triang
                                                    dropped it. Nothing of the sort happened.

                                                    People started making kits, mechanisms, etches, and British TT became
                                                    a scale for high quality modelling, freed of the constraints of
                                                    manufacturers compromises and their need for profit.

                                                    Modellers became manufacturers, and instead of making high-cost items
                                                    like RTR locomotives, instead produced generic components such as a
                                                    range of wheels, chassis parts, motors, etc. Using these parts,
                                                    modellers started building a wide range of locomotives and cars
                                                    themselves.

                                                    Most of the cottage manufacturers were in it for love, but given the
                                                    right co-operative arrangements of an association set up to support
                                                    the scale, TT did quite well.

                                                    In essence, TT ceased to be a commercial scale and became a co-
                                                    operative effort, a true modelling scale.

                                                    In fact, when you look at British TT and other scales like 2mm, which
                                                    is one of a number of examples which have *never* had the support of
                                                    a major manufacturer -and the compromises in realism which go along
                                                    with it ! - you see some of the best modelling today.

                                                    Although it is not guaranteed, it is at least possible that a similar
                                                    thing might happen in Z if Marklin exited the market.

                                                    I hope they don't though.

                                                    Ben