Intro

  • Philip Grant
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 28, 1999
      My name is Phil Grant and I am a Z-scale collector, mostly Marklin and a
      little Micro Train. I live in Tucson and always plan, but never seem to
      build, layouts.
      Phil
      phgrant@...
    • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 14, 1999
        Hi all,

        Let me start by saying what a great group here!

        I am located in America's hometown of Plymouth, Massachusetts. When I was a
        wee lad(10-12), I was into HO - built a nice setup in the basement of my
        father's house. Haven't been back into the hobby since then until last
        year, when I visited my new neighbor and he showed me his Zscale layout. I
        was hooked instantly. I bought a MT starter kit and extra track. (a simple
        oval seemed too boring.) I built the layout from scratch using Woodland
        scenic. I am now planning my second more elaborate layout and considering
        using Woodlands Subterrain stuff.
        I have only a MT F7 and a Marklin steam (8892). my rolling stock is only
        what came in the MT kit. But it is a start!

        Pete Leahy
      • Ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
          Pete,

          Welcome to Z scale! You are going to have fun. I was received nothing but
          positive reviews on the Woodlands Subterrain system. I wish it was available
          when I built my layout!

          Rob Kluz
          of Ztrack Magazine
          from Powell, Ohio
          currently vacationing in Scituate, Massachusetts!
        • Chuck
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 15, 2003
            Hi - just joined the list out of curiosity to see what is happening in Z
            scale. I have been a modeler for over 30 years in HO scale, primarily
            Northern Pacific.

            Chuck Soule
            Gig Harbor, WA
          • Steven Delibert
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 15, 2003
              Chuck, several of us long-time life-long HO'ers are here for smilar
              reasons, even not having passed through "N-scale transition phase", and I
              have to say that at least one of us is delighted and impressed with what's
              going on. These folks have proven to me that you can "do the impossible"
              (some VERY impressive modeling and some very high-quality equipment in this
              tiny scale), and that the relative shortage of equipment only means it's as
              much fun as any pioneer scale (you're around long enough to remember when
              HOn3 was a breathtaking adventure in the impossible).
              Probably I'm not yet ready to sell or give away the several closets-full
              of spectacular HO models that have been collected for 20 years till I'm
              ready to do the whole NYC Hudson Valley in HO scale in the barn, but I have
              to say I'm almost tempted, already. . .
              Steve Delibert
              > Hi - just joined the list out of curiosity to see what is happening in Z
              > scale. I have been a modeler for over 30 years in HO scale, primarily
              > Northern Pacific.
              >
              > Chuck Soule
              > Gig Harbor, WA

            • Jay & Anne Greer
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 15, 2003
                Chuck,
                Although I have been tinkering with G,Ho, N and TT for many years, I have
                finally decided that Z is the greatest scale of all!
                Jay Greer/Port townsend WA

                From: Chuck <csoule@...>
                Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:27:59 -0800
                To: Z Scale list <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>

                Hi - just joined the list out of curiosity to see what is happening in Z
                scale. I have been a modeler for over 30 years in HO scale, primarily
                Northern Pacific.

                Chuck Soule
                Gig Harbor, WA

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Juan Carlos Lopez
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 16, 2003
                  Chuck

                  I am a N scale modeler, I love this scale, however Z
                  is addictive and impressive. Now I have both scales in
                  my mind.

                  By the way, I am making with a group of friends a
                  modular HO scale.

                  JC

                  --- Chuck <csoule@...> wrote:
                  > Hi - just joined the list out of curiosity to see
                  > what is happening in Z
                  > scale. I have been a modeler for over 30 years in
                  > HO scale, primarily
                  > Northern Pacific.
                  >
                  > Chuck Soule
                  > Gig Harbor, WA

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • ahellary
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 16, 2003
                    nooo stop all those oversized thoughts :) z scale is the only scale :)

                    > I am a N scale modeler, I love this scale, however Z
                    > is addictive and impressive. Now I have both scales in
                    > my mind.
                    >
                    > By the way, I am making with a group of friends a
                    > modular HO scale.
                    >
                    > JC
                    >
                    > --- Chuck <csoule@...> wrote:
                    > > Hi - just joined the list out of curiosity to see
                    > > what is happening in Z
                    > > scale. I have been a modeler for over 30 years in
                    > > HO scale, primarily
                    > > Northern Pacific.
                    > >
                    > > Chuck Soule
                    > > Gig Harbor, WA

                  • M. Gottschalch
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 16, 2003
                      Steven Delibert wrote:

                      > Probably I'm not yet ready to sell or give away the several closets-full
                      > of spectacular HO models that have been collected for 20 years till I'm
                      > ready to do the whole NYC Hudson Valley in HO scale in the barn, but I have
                      > to say I'm almost tempted, already. . .
                      > Steve Delibert

                      Just think Steve, with z you could probably do it to scale. :-)
                      --
                      Manfred G
                    • jmac_han <jmac_han@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 16, 2003
                        Hi Chuck, Steven, Jay and many other HO modelers who have
                        discovered the pleasures of "Z".

                        As part of my research for a future article in the NMRA Bulletin, I
                        have 2 questions for you"

                        First I am curious to know how you came to find Z scale?

                        Second and even more importantly, what did you find were the
                        major issues and challenges to overcome as you became
                        familiar with Z ?

                        My goal is to learn what difficlties the average HO modeler would
                        encounter during the initial learning curve so that we can offer
                        insights and suggestions to help smooth the transition to a level
                        of comfort with Z.

                        Your personal observations and suggestions are warmly
                        welcomed on the list or sent to me directly at
                        jmac_han @ yahoo.com

                        Cheers,
                        Jeffrey MacHan
                        Columnist - NMRA Bulletin "Z-Scale Rails"
                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 16, 2003
                          Hello HO and N scale modelers,

                          Since I started out with Lionel O scale as a
                          child, then as a true model builder in HO
                          (if I wanted something, I had to build it out
                          of balsa wood) then N and now Z, I have
                          begun to feel like that guy in that wonderful
                          science fiction story: "He Who Shrank".

                          But aside from fighting spiders with a straight
                          pin, I think the limits of visibility have been
                          reached in Z scale. And each year that I become more
                          adept at modeling in this scale, I foresee a
                          bright future for those of us who want to build
                          railroad empires in the guest bedroom (basements
                          don't exist in Texas, only tornado bunkers).

                          Think small, dream big.

                          Reynard

                          On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 09:02 AM, jmac_han
                          <jmac_han@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Chuck, Steven, Jay and many other HO modelers who have
                          > discovered the pleasures of "Z".
                          >
                          > As part of my research for a future article in the NMRA Bulletin, I
                          > have 2 questions for you"
                          >
                          > First I am curious to know how you came to find Z scale?
                          >
                          > Second and even more importantly, what did you find were the
                          > major issues and challenges to overcome as you became
                          > familiar with Z ?
                          >
                          > My goal is to learn what difficlties the average HO modeler would
                          > encounter during the initial learning curve so that we can offer
                          > insights and suggestions to help smooth the transition to a level
                          > of comfort with Z.
                          >
                          > Your personal observations and suggestions are warmly
                          > welcomed on the list or sent to me directly at
                          > jmac_han @ yahoo.com
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Jeffrey MacHan
                          > Columnist - NMRA Bulletin "Z-Scale Rails"

                          <image.tiff>

                          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small
                          > DoseZ!

                        • Will Jennings
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 16, 2003
                            Jeffrey,
                            Well, I suppose I sort of fit into this category... I have the odd
                            distinction of having always been both an HO and a Z modeler... I'm almost
                            22 now, and I've had my Z gauge at least since I was 3 or so.. My starter
                            set is the one with the diesel switcher, the Banana car, and the flatbed
                            car. My dad bought it for me either around the time I was born or possibly
                            before I was born.. Not sure. I also have HO going back to my uncle (1960s
                            vintage), which was unfortunately mostly destroyed when I moved recently..
                            One interesting thing about Z is that until recently, I had personally
                            bought none of the cars I own, my dad having done so for me. I don't have an
                            HO layout currently, and my Z layout needs repair, plus discontinued
                            buildings. I have the really old Marklin mat-based layout, with the station
                            and tower, apartment building, and the 2 houses. I suppose whats always
                            frustrated me is what a small amout of things had been available.. but then,
                            I had been away from Z until 2002, and the latest Marklin catalogue nearly
                            put me in shock...

                            Will J
                          • Steven Delibert
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 17, 2003
                              Jeffrey -
                              Gee, what fun to be an experienced old head. Have to say I learned
                              about Z by osmosis -- having read Model Railroader more or less continuously
                              since the 1950's, I must have noticed articles almost as soon as it went
                              into production; certainly I was aware by the time M-T started putting out F
                              units. I've had a Marklin starter set in a box for 25 years or so, since I
                              thought about an inside-the-coffee table model of the Brooklyn waterfront
                              railroad that ran outside my back windows in those days.
                              Never went anywhere with it, but a few months ago when we set out to
                              design an Ulster & Delaware display for the local gallery, we realized that
                              the double-horseshoes at Pine Hill would be a terrific model, but too large
                              even in N-scale. More or less simultaneously learned about this list
                              through (ahem) a mention in NMRA bulletin, and learned about the Marklin
                              Casey Jones set through online searches, which meant I had the required
                              4-6-0 to make a convincing Ulster & Delaware model, so doing it in Z became
                              practical, we devised a separate diorama to sit over one end of the N layout
                              behind a scenic divider, and we're off to the races. Pictures in a few
                              months, I hope.
                              The biggest obstacle to me coming over from HO so far, is that we're
                              really spoiled about available equipment and prices -- at 60, even in 30
                              years I wouldn't have time enough left to modify or scratchbuild all the
                              Hudsons, Mohawks, Pacifics, Mikes, & Niagaras I'd need to build that entire
                              New York Central in the Huson Valley in my barn, and it looks like if they
                              were available, they'd cost as much or more than the brass collection of
                              same that I've built up in HO over the last 20 years. Ditto for older
                              US-prototype freight equiment -- I kow there's some, and I've seen the nice
                              stuff starting to come from Father Nature, etc, but there's a long ways to
                              go.
                              So for now, Z will stay secondary in my modelling, but it's definitely
                              tremendous fun picking up the new stuff here, & figuring out how to do
                              things that haven't been done 12,000 times before, and it's definitely neat
                              to have operable trains in a scale that lets us model some really big pieces
                              of real estate.
                              Steve Delibert
                            • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 21, 2003
                                I realize this message was not directed at me -

                                But I am [or was] an HO modeler. Still have a ton of HO stuff.

                                It currently sits unused and generally unseen, besides the few locos in my
                                display case.

                                Z was a natural progression.

                                I bought a house half the size of the house we were renting [without the
                                extra room for choo-choos]

                                Bought a Micro Trains "Desktop Railroad Set" and it was all over....For the
                                past five years I have been amassing as much as I can afford. Been saving
                                for the GS4 I so anxiously await.

                                The biggest challenge to overcome, for me, was the growth of my fingers. I
                                have no idea how they got so big.

                                "jmac_han
                                <jmac_han@yahoo.c To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                om>" <jmac_han cc:
                                Subject: [z_scale] Question to larger scalers
                                02/16/2003 07:02
                                AM
                                Please respond to
                                z_scale

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 21, 2003
                                  Yes Ted,
                                  I found that my fingers are much bigger after the Z Bug bit me. My eyes
                                  also became strained without even having to stare through a window screen!
                                  Cheers,
                                  Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                                  From: ted_lamar@...
                                  Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:55:23 -0800
                                  To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                  Cc: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                  Subject: Re: [z_scale] Question to larger scalers

                                  I realize this message was not directed at me -

                                  But I am [or was] an HO modeler. Still have a ton of HO stuff.

                                  It currently sits unused and generally unseen, besides the few locos in my
                                  display case.

                                  Z was a natural progression.

                                  I bought a house half the size of the house we were renting [without the
                                  extra room for choo-choos]

                                  Bought a Micro Trains "Desktop Railroad Set" and it was all over....For the
                                  past five years I have been amassing as much as I can afford. Been saving
                                  for the GS4 I so anxiously await.

                                  The biggest challenge to overcome, for me, was the growth of my fingers. I
                                  have no idea how they got so big.

                                  "jmac_han
                                  <jmac_han@yahoo.c To:
                                  z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                  om>" <jmac_han cc:
                                  Subject: [z_scale] Question
                                  to larger scalers
                                  02/16/2003 07:02
                                  AM
                                  Please respond to
                                  z_scale

[...]

                                • Rick Saviano
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 23, 2003
                                    Ted, Jay, and Anne,

                                    I had an American Flyer train set for my first Christmas, and an HO layout
                                    by the age of 5, although I think I was 8 before I was allowed to operate
                                    anything without a movie camera rolling. In my teens (mid 1960's), Arnold
                                    Rapido and N caught my father's eye, and he actually tried hand-laying track.
                                    My daughter never had a train set - I was more truthful than my father: it was
                                    MY N scale train set, not hers. I did, however, let her run the trains at an
                                    earlier age than I was allowed. In 1990, I got my first Marklin Z, became a
                                    Mini-Club member, and have never looked back. It's an occasional pain
                                    tolerating all the "Z's too small" comments from dealers and manufacturers, but
                                    I'd heard the same comments about N in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

                                    But don't throw out your HO! an old back issue of the Insider shows an HO
                                    train appearing to come out of one tunnel and into another, and a similar Z
                                    train running out and in of two other tunnels. When you lift the roof of the
                                    HO cars, you realize that the Z is running INSIDE the HO cars. That's close to
                                    the ultimate in forced perspective. In one version of my ever-evolving Z
                                    layout, I have an O Scale Hershey Logo boxcar ( they never made HO, N, or Z
                                    cars) acting as a tunnel entrance for my Z trains.

                                    -Rick Saviano

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 25, 2003
                                      Hello Rick,

                                      I can't imagine what you are talking about or why
                                      anyone would run a Z scale engine inside an HO
                                      boxcar or something. I can imagine an HO scaler
                                      running a Z scale train as an amusement park train
                                      ride for HO scale kids. A miniature Disneyland scene.
                                      After all, there is a tremendous amount of HO scale
                                      amusement park equipment available from Walther's.

                                      Regards,
                                      Reynard