Introducing myself

  • Jacob Munkhammar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28 3:42 PM
      Hi all! (How many have we had time to become yet?)

      I'm Jacob Munkhammar, a Swede in Norway, and am just getting back into the
      hobby after a near-20-or-so year lapse. (I'm now 34.) In my previous life,
      I ran Minitrix N-scale, but Z is a quite obvious choice for me this time. I
      simply love miniaturazation.

      I am not a typical model rail-roader (I believe), as I am not a train-nut;
      I am in this hobby because I love technical things, model building, and
      miniture machinery. In other words, a model train layout is for me not a
      matter of train travel logistics, but I see them more like moving
      sculpures, if you know what I mean.

      OK, so I like real life locos, travelling by train, and grew up by a 891mm
      narrow gauge train that I went to high-school with every day, so there are
      a few grains of train-nut in me too. ;-) And there is a reason why I
      select train minitures and not other mechanical machinery.

      I am also an architect and like to build towns and landscapes with all its
      life, situations and places. Another reason to love model rail-roading.

      So, what "stuff" do I have?
      Nothing.
      As I said, I am just getting back - but I am getting back seriously.

      And as I am not a cheat - and as the building is the greatest fun (for me)
      - I plan to build a lot of my rolling stock and other stuff myself.
      Especially locos as well as buildings and other scenery. If there is an
      interest in what I do, I will develop some of it into kits.

      In other words, my main interest is in scratch-building in Z. I hope many
      others of this inclination joins the list!

      I'll get back with my thoughts and questions about this later (not in this
      introduction).

      Finally a thanks to Jeffrey for this initiative. I hope many join us!

      /Jacob

      - - - Jacob Munkhammar - - - jacob@... - - -
      - ARCHITECTURE - DESIGN - COMP.SOFTWARE - WRITING -
      mail: Arkitekt Christies gate 4b, N-7012 Trondheim, Norway
      www: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~jacob/
    • nzrailroader
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
        Hi

        I'm Pete from new Zealand and I'm interested in modelling at N scale on Z
        scale track as this equates to ou national 3foot 6 gauge. Has any one else
        done this? Z scale track and chassis and N scale everything else.

        I've been reading about people's problems with track plans and recommend "
        Track Planning for Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong (published by
        Model Railroader). I like the suggestion of working in HO scale and calling
        inches cm.

        Thanks for the great group.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2005
          Isn't this Nn3 ??

          Don - USA

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2005
            Hi Pete,

            You are talking about what is known as Nn3. N scale narrow gauge. They
            do this all the time. There is a lot of information on the web about
            this just search for Nn3.

            There is a Yahoo group for you to get on that is specificly for this
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nn3/

            Hope this will help,
            --
            Manfred G
          • lladnarrn
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2005
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "nzrailroader" <nzrailroader@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > I'm Pete from new Zealand and I'm interested in modelling at N
              scale on Z
              > scale track >
              Pete - in the US N on Z is called N(scale) N(arrow) 3 (foot) or
              NN3. MTL makes some NN3 rolling stock, and there are many(more or
              less) groups of N Scalers that have NN3 layouts. - Steve
            • metric82
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2005
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:
                > Isn't this Nn3 ??
                >
                > Don - USA

                No, it would be Nn3.5 since the prototype is 3.5 feet. At 6.5 mm gauge
                Z scale track represents N scale meter gauge or 3'6" gauge better
                than it represents 3' gauge (not that I would split hairs over it).

                There is a whole lot more 3'6" gauge track out there than 3'.

                Pete, I can help you with your query (you are not the first person to
                express interest in this scale/gauge combination). The first challenge
                is to find locomotive mechanisms with a suitable wheelbase. The axle
                centers on the bogies are the most important as new frames can be
                milled or cast if absolutely necessary. The new locomotives coming out
                from AZL and Microtrains open up new possibilities. Another option is
                to try and regauge N scale mecahnisms but wheelbases tend to be too
                long. This would be the lower cost option.

                I have dimensional data for most NZ locomotives in spreadsheet form
                together with scale dimensions. I will be making a TTn3.5 U26C (DX)
                later this year (it will fit an Atlas N scale mechanism). I use
                computer-based equipment and scaling parts up and down is fairly
                straight-forward so an N scale version could follow shortly after. I
                can also make parts for you.

                Contact me by email for more information.
                www.mark4design.com
              • Stephen
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2005
                  Hi Pete,
                  There is a group here in texas, that uses all that for there NN3
                  railroad. Narrow gauge model railroading in N scale using Z scale
                  stuff. They are the DG&M.
                  I am sure there are a lot of other things and groups out there, AND
                  even yahoo group for NN3'ers. look around, i bet you find it, just
                  look for nn3 people.