N Ground Throw...What Do You Think?

  • jcubbin@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2001
      In the files section I just posted a graphic calles "GroundThrow.jpg".
      Earlier today I ran down and bought a Caboose N Groundthrow as well
      as
      an Atlas under table electric machine.

      I was able to Dremel the entire machine side of the switch off and
      replace it with the ends of ties (nibs, really) from another piece of
      track, I was surprised at how well it came out.

      I realize the ground throw is too large, but it does have a certain
      organic feel to it.

      I may be able to reduce size somewhat by semi burying the throw.The
      piano wire makes up for the extra throw provided by the Caboose, and
      the pvc pipe protects the wire under the AMI roadbed.

      Although it works, this photo is really of a quick put-together. The
      finished would be much more polished.

      I'd appreciate any opinions.

      Thanks
      John
    • jcubbin@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2001
        I got this idea from one of the covers of ZTrack magazine, BTW.

        John
      • rtbyers@rfci.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2001
          John,
          I think it looks good. You might avoid, where possible, having any
          small details near the ground throw so the scale differance is not so
          obvious.
          Roy
        • Nelson Snedeker
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2001
            I sure would like to see the "more details" but, no matter how I try with
            address and password I can't get by "your e-mail address and password" Help
            please ! I never had this problem before Yahoo

            rtbyers@... wrote:

            > John,
            > I think it looks good. You might avoid, where possible, having any
            > small details near the ground throw so the scale differance is not so
            > obvious.
            > Roy

          • Nelson Snedeker
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2001
              Well I have blown most of the day trying to see your "more details" First
              my original membership with Yahoo insisted my Birthdate was incorrect. then
              my password was already taken ( of course I already had it ). So, I started
              all over with a whole new membership and finally got to click on "more
              details" and all I get is a panel for posting. I tried several other ( I
              suppose pictures.) and nothing. All suggestions cheerfully accepted.

              rtbyers@... wrote:

              > John,
              > I think it looks good. You might avoid, where possible, having any
              > small details near the ground throw so the scale differance is not so
              > obvious.
              > Roy

            • Jeffrey MacHan
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2001
                Nelson, I assume that you are talking about the login for Yahoogroups.com.
                Although you are a member of Z_Scale, you must convert your eGroups.com
                account to a Yahoogroups account.

                Follow the instructions on the sign me up screens but you do not have to
                provide more than the minimum info requested.

                Once you have a Yahoogroups account, you will have full access to the
                Z_Scale web pages.

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey MacHan

                >From: Nelson Snedeker <nel@...>
                >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: N Ground Throw...What Do You Think?
                >Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:33:33 -0800
                >
                >I sure would like to see the "more details" but, no matter how I try with
                >address and password I can't get by "your e-mail address and password" Help
                >please ! I never had this problem before Yahoo

              • Dale Halterman
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
                  John, Would you be willing to give me a detailed discription of the
                  procedure and bits you used to modify your turnout. I ruined the one I was
                  working on. I tried leaving a srtip of the base as wide as the tie end
                  along the side of the track with the idea of cutting notches into it to form
                  the tie ends. I discovered that the base material is very fragile and breaks
                  very easily. Dale

                • jcubbin@optonline.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
                    Dale,

                    I'd be happy to. I just posted another photo in the "Files" section.
                    It's called: Almost_Completed_Turnout.jpg.

                    I've almost got it down, but I would like to remove or shorten the
                    small clear tie that actually moves.

                    As soon as I get that done, I'm going to post a detailed description on
                    my site.

                    Thanks for your interest.

                    John
                  • eouwejan@casema.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                      Hi,
                      On my turnouts, I use a plastic sprue cutter to remove the Marklin
                      mechanism. It goes quit easily. I'm happy with the result,
                      although the ties on the side of the switch machine get damaged
                      somewhat. I will install them with the Tortoise switch machine.
                      I've also used a Roco switch machine, which worked fine but
                      they can not be installed easily under the table.
                      However, I must say that even the standard Marklin turnouts
                      aren't that bad compared with the turnouts produced by
                      Fleischmann, Minitrix and Roco in larger scales. The table
                      switches in that scales really look awful!

                      Greetings, Edwin