Rubbing Alcohol

  • davidlawuk
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
      I notice that in an article about fixing track it mentions
      using 'cheap rubbing alcohol'. I think the article originates from
      the USA. For a Brit, just what is 'rubbing alcohol'? Does anyone
      have an alternative name for it?
      Thanks,
      David.
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
        David:

        > I notice that in an article about fixing track it mentions
        > using 'cheap rubbing alcohol'. I think the article originates from
        > the USA. For a Brit, just what is 'rubbing alcohol'? Does anyone
        > have an alternative name for it?

        Look at message 26915 where Dave talks (in chemical words) about cheap
        rubbing alcohol (aka 70% isopropyl alcohol). I would expect the chemical names to
        be common across the big pond.

        Dave may have additions to make to my post (if I got it wrong).

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • jbgrindy
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
          I use 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol also known as Rubefacient
          Topical Atimicrobial. It's available at every pharmacy, supermarket
          and convienence store in the country.
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "davidlawuk" <mail@d...> wrote:

          > I notice that in an article about fixing track it mentions
          > using 'cheap rubbing alcohol'. I think the article originates from
          > the USA. For a Brit, just what is 'rubbing alcohol'? Does anyone
          > have an alternative name for it?
          > Thanks,
          > David.
        • kd79ctls
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2005
            Hi
            I have a question. Someone told me to use Ispropyl Alchol 91%, not
            the 70% version which is better? Or is there a better item out there?
            Kevin

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jbgrindy" <jbgrindy@y...> wrote:

            > I use 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol also known as Rubefacient
            > Topical Atimicrobial. It's available at every pharmacy, supermarket
            > and convienence store in the country.
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "davidlawuk" <mail@d...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I notice that in an article about fixing track it mentions
            > > using 'cheap rubbing alcohol'. I think the article originates
            from
            > > the USA. For a Brit, just what is 'rubbing alcohol'? Does anyone
            > > have an alternative name for it?
            > > Thanks,
            > > David.
          • jim_manley_alpha_six
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
              GreetingZ David, and All FriendZ on Every Side of Every Pond,

              Make sure what you are getting does not have any additives like
              glycerin or oils. Some products are advertised as rubbing liniments,
              and may contain isopropyl alcohol, but they also have lots of other
              ingredients that will completely ruin your track until you scrub them
              completely clean with detergents, followed by 90+% isopropyl alcohol.
              You might find these in your apothecary, aka "pharmacy", on this side
              of the Atlantic Pond (I'm not sure what our Canadian friendZ call it,
              and it's "farmacia" South of the Border! ;)

              All Z BeZt,
              Jim

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "davidlawuk" <mail@d...> wrote:

              > I notice that in an article about fixing track it mentions
              > using 'cheap rubbing alcohol'. I think the article originates from
              > the USA. For a Brit, just what is 'rubbing alcohol'? Does anyone
              > have an alternative name for it?
              > Thanks,
              > David.
            • Glen Chenier
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "kd79ctls" <kd79ctls@y...> wrote:

                > I have a question. Someone told me to use Ispropyl Alchol 91%, not
                > the 70% version which is better? Or is there a better item out
                there?

                Someone on this list mentioned a while ago there is a 99.x% alcohol
                available. I assume that is also isopropyl alcohol but could be
                wrong.

                In my garage i have a gallon of "Pure Denatured Alcohol (Shellac
                Thinner/Stove Fuel)" leftover from long ago, was obtained at a
                hardware store. It contains Ethanol, Acetone, Methanol, Methyl
                Isobutyl Ketone. On the container there are all sorts of dire health
                warnings - toxic if absorbed through skin, causes birth defects,
                vapours flammable - do not breathe them, etc. I gather that this is
                NOT the sort of alcohol we want to use for track cleaning.

                Since isopropyl alcohol is intended to be applied to the skin it is
                non-toxic as long as one does not drink it. Can whoever mentioned
                the 99.x% variety confirm that this actually is non-toxic isopropyl
                alcohol? And where to get it?
              • Flayrah
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                  Of all places, I found 90% rubbing alcohol at Target, in the first
                  aid section of the pharmacy. The store also carries the 70%, so be
                  careful which you select. For some reason, finding the 90% seems
                  to be hit or miss, they are often sold out. I haven't found the 90%
                  at WalMart, Walgreens, or any other chain store.
                • www.zscalemonster.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                    I find that the 90% Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol) is better. I
                    would also think that because it is 90% alcohol it will leave less
                    behind, as it is more alcohol to evaporate. 90% is very hard to find
                    and is a bit more expensive; 70% is everywhere. I did find one
                    bottle at Wallymart once (I refuse to give them more recognition). I
                    have used 90% to remove paint from locomotive and freight car
                    shells. It does not work on all paints.

                    As for cleaning track and wheels... I use GOO GONE. It smells like
                    citrus and a little goes a LONG WAY. Very powerful stuff. Just a
                    little dab on a Q-Tip and the dirt just keep coming off. There may
                    be a down side to it, I do not know if it contains any oils.

                    Anthony
                    http://www.zscalemonster.com/
                  • Jim Thomas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 25, 2005
                      Many department/drug stores carry rubbing alcohol. I have seen both
                      50% and 70% alcohol. There is more water in the 50% alcohol. The
                      only time I have seen 100% alcohol it has been Ethyl alcohol which is
                      called medicinal alcohol and is sold by pharmacies. It does not cause
                      blindness and may be consumed but it does not have any flavour.
                      Stick with rubbing alcohol for model trains.
                    • davidlawuk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 27, 2005
                        Thanks for the advice, isopropyl was the name that I recognise as
                        being available here from chemists. I can go and buy some now I know
                        what to ask for.
                        The old saying is true, we're two countries seperated by a common
                        language:-)
                        David.

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "davidlawuk" <mail@d...> wrote:

                        > I notice that in an article about fixing track it mentions
                        > using 'cheap rubbing alcohol'. I think the article originates from
                        > the USA. For a Brit, just what is 'rubbing alcohol'? Does anyone
                        > have an alternative name for it?
                        > Thanks,
                        > David.
                      • Stephen Moore
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                          Might be careful, i don't know if the higher acetone will take off
                          any protective coats on the rail too.
                          where as the 70% might be better, because it will not strip off the
                          protective layers as bad as a 90% etc...

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
                            I'm no chemist, but I don't believe there's any highly corrosive
                            properties to alcohol - the difference between 90% and 70% is in
                            purity, not strength. I use the 90% for most everything -
                            including cleaning cuts and wounds - and I haven't lost any body
                            tissue yet! LOL

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Moore"

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                              I have had experience, where the higher content, or too much use of
                              the alcohol, will act as a stripping agent, and remove more than just
                              dirt, but also remove any protective coating, oils, or anything off
                              the rail. Therefore, causing it to collect dirt faster, and oxydising
                              faster as well..