Campfire in Z

  • loren snyder
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 22, 2005
      I've seen it done in other scales, but not Z. I couldn't find any
      files or info on making a "flickering" campfire in Z scale. Any of
      you electronically blessed types want to offer some insider info?
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 22, 2005
        ljsnyder:

        > I've seen it done in other scales, but not Z. I couldn't find any
        > files or info on making a "flickering" campfire in Z scale. Any of
        > you electronically blessed types want to offer some insider info?

        The oldest, and cheapest solution is to purchase a $1 AM radio from your 99
        cent store. Cut out the speaker and replace it with a 1.5v lamp (or two).
        Tune the radio to "near" but not "on" a radio station and it will dance away at a
        totally random pattern. Adjust the volume for how much "fire" you want.

        There are plenty of solutions with ICs out there. Do you want them? I'll
        look them up and post them.

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Don
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 22, 2005
          I'm pretty sure Berkshire Junction has flickering campfire in Z PLUS a
          lot of other stuff such as crossbucks and more. They carry an usual
          "wire" that is great for telephone wire but has the springiness of a
          rubber band so if you drop something ....

          http://www.berkshirejunction.com/

          Lots of Z stuff here and other scales also which I have seen at some
          local shows.

          Don
          Akron, Ohio - USA

          I've seen it done in other scales, but not Z. I couldn't find any
          files or info on making a "flickering" campfire in Z scale. Any of
          you electronically blessed types want to offer some insider info?
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 22, 2005
            I installed the GR Electronics flickering campfire module in Centre
            Val Ease in 2001 at the St. Louis NTS. Photos right here:

            http://www.val-ease-central.com/NTS/2001/2001.html#Pt6

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <ljsnyder@c...> wrote:

            > I've seen it done in other scales, but not Z. I couldn't find any
            > files or info on making a "flickering" campfire in Z scale.
          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 23, 2005
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <ljsnyder@c...> wrote:

              > I've seen it done in other scales, but not Z. I couldn't find any
              > files or info on making a "flickering" campfire in Z scale. Any of
              > you electronically blessed types want to offer some insider info?

              To go along with the electronic drive(s) that Bill K mentioned, you
              can mix 3-5 LEDs (red, yellow, orange, green, blue) hot glued
              together inside clear plastic tubing as a holder, the hot glue makes
              a translucent color mixer and can be shaped to funnel the light into
              a hole through the layout for a Z scale size fire. Or use plastic
              optical fiber from each LED into a bundle through the hole along with
              some hot glue up top to diffuse the light. A 'pile' of hot glue with
              some sticks on top (threads) looks like a mound of glowing embers
              under firewood.

              Driving each LED separately and randomly mixes the colors and gives
              the effect of flames and a breeze blowing through the embers with
              various flickering color effects. If using radios to drive them
              (also a series diode and resistor for each LED to protect against
              reverse voltage and give current limiting), the radios can be tuned
              to different stations and their volume controls adjusted for the
              nicest color effects, brighter on the red yellow orange, less on the
              green and blue. IC drivers can be set with each LED resistor for the
              same color control.
            • Melissa Cull
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 23, 2005
                Hi Loren,

                I've a booklet of really useful circuits including a flickering fire from a
                company in UK, they don't produce it any more (it was only 50 pence anyway)
                and not sure if the company is still even trading so I am happy to email you
                the scanned booklet or page?

                The circuit involves a 555 timer IC, 2 resisters, 2 capacitors, 5 diodes,
                grain of wheat or rice light bulb, little bit of wire and a piece of
                veroboard so cost is about £3 sterling at most.

                I use finely crushed glass marbles / flower aranging beads in red and orange
                glued together with waterproof PVA glue and either the lightbulb set in or a
                small greased rod put in then removed and the glass washed to remove grease
                then put over a bulb (latteer allows dead bulbs to be replaced.

                If anyone wants a circuit for Christmas tree lights I have one (similar to
                above circuit) for that which has 3 strings of lights (LEDS) pulsating at
                different frequencies. I've built two one with just red LEDS and the other
                with alternate red and green LEDS and use them as table decorations at
                Christmas running off a 9 volt battery. Would be good for "Train around the
                Tree" in miniature.

                Both can be made with standard or SMT (surface mount) components.

                Hope this helps

                Kind RegardZ

                Melissa

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 23, 2005
                  To all my flickering friends

                  > I've a booklet of really useful circuits including a flickering fire from a
                  > company in UK, they don't produce it any more

                  Here a few of the resources you might check on for things that flicker in the
                  night. <smile>

                  Buy parts, build it yourself:
                  http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CircuitIndex.html#index
                  http://www.mrollins.com/circuit.html
                  http://www.commlinx.com.au/schematics.htm

                  Assembled:
                  http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe/
                  http://www.merg.org.uk/
                  http://kitsrus.com/

                  Bill K.
                  Houston

                • Melissa Cull
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 24, 2005
                    > I've a booklet of really useful circuits including a flickering fire from
                    > company in UK, they don't produce it any more

                    What I meant to say was they don't produce the 50 pence booklet anymore.

                    Melissa (UK)

                  • loren snyder
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 24, 2005
                      x> What I meant to say was they don't produce the 50 pence booklet
                      anymore.

                      > Melissa (UK)
                      Thanks Melissa. Now that you and Glen have chimmed in and
                      given me more "fuel for the fire", so to speak, I have come up with
                      another question. Suppose someone wanted to model several
                      campfires, like you might find at a summer camp scene, say, maybe 4
                      or 5 different fires. Any ideas on the best method to make all of
                      them work seperately, or would it be easiest and best to have all
                      the fires working off of one mechanism? I've gone from the frying
                      pan to the fire. I better watch out or I'll get burnt.....doh !!
                    • Peter Ibbotson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 25, 2005
                        > x> What I meant to say was they don't produce the 50 pence booklet
                        > anymore.
                        >>
                        >> Melissa (UK)
                        > Thanks Melissa. Now that you and Glen have chimmed in and
                        > given me more "fuel for the fire", so to speak, I have come up with
                        > another question. Suppose someone wanted to model several
                        > campfires, like you might find at a summer camp scene, say, maybe 4
                        > or 5 different fires. Any ideas on the best method to make all of
                        > them work seperately, or would it be easiest and best to have all
                        > the fires working off of one mechanism? I've gone from the frying
                        > pan to the fire. I better watch out or I'll get burnt.....doh !!

                        I can get you some "gas lamp twinklers" using the merg kit and ship them
                        over. This is good for 3 lots of twinkling. If you are good with electronics
                        I'll send them over unbuilt[1], otherwise I can put them together then ship
                        them. The kits themselves are £2 ($4 ish) so if you want two boards then a
                        $10 donation to a charity (or perhaps even a drinks fund at the Z
                        Convention) would suffice.

                        [1] I may "have" to build them as merg have funny rules about stuff only
                        being available to members for electrical interference and safety reasons,
                        but I think these kits have been sold to non-members as a "taster" in the
                        past.

                        --
                        Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                        Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                          > > Thanks Melissa. Now that you and Glen have chimmed in and
                          > > given me more "fuel for the fire", so to speak, I have come up
                          with
                          > > another question. Suppose someone wanted to model several
                          > > campfires, like you might find at a summer camp scene, say, maybe
                          4
                          > > or 5 different fires. Any ideas on the best method to make all of
                          > > them work seperately, or would it be easiest and best to have all
                          > > the fires working off of one mechanism? I've gone from the frying
                          > > pan to the fire. I better watch out or I'll get burnt.....doh !!
                          >

                          > I can get you some "gas lamp twinklers" using the merg kit and ship
                          them
                          > over. This is good for 3 lots of twinkling. If you are good with
                          electronics
                          > I'll send them over unbuilt[1], otherwise I can put them together
                          then ship
                          > them. The kits themselves are £2 ($4 ish) so if you want two boards
                          then a
                          > $10 donation to a charity (or perhaps even a drinks fund at the Z
                          > Convention) would suffice.
                          >
                          > [1] I may "have" to build them as merg have funny rules about stuff
                          only
                          > being available to members for electrical interference and safety
                          reasons,
                          > but I think these kits have been sold to non-members as a "taster"
                          in the
                          > past.

                          Funny this should come up, because my "little layout" I am working on
                          is exactly a campground scene, and I have been trying to figure out
                          how to make the "Campfire" glow, and how to get several twinkling
                          separately. I was also wondering if anyone had ever modeled "smoke",
                          like you get when you put out a fire in a camp ring and let the coals
                          die. Sometimes walking throuhg campgrounds after people have left
                          you get some pretty nice plumes. Would I be best to try to dye some
                          cotton and use that pulled quite thin?

                          So, if okay, could you email me more information about what it is you
                          have that could simulate fire? I would definitely be looking
                          for "built". Thanks.
                        • zbendtrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                            t_dfraser@... writes:

                            > So, if okay, could you email me more information about what it is you
                            > have that could simulate fire?

                            Why settle for simulations? Check this out:
                            http://members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Real_Fire.jpg

                            Its on a layout at George's Trains in Toronto, Canada. It's run by a propane
                            bottle and starved for air (blocked air inlets at the valve), hence the
                            correct yellow flame. Simple plastic tubing carries the low pressure propane to a
                            brass column that you can see in the photo. Air currents in the room make the
                            candle sized flame dance away.

                            I love to travel and see train layouts... <smile>
                            Bill K.
                            Houston

                          • Uwe Liermann
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                              Hello Bill,

                              >> So, if okay, could you email me more information about what it is you
                              >> have that could simulate fire?

                              > Why settle for simulations? Check this out:
                              > http://members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Real_Fire.jpg

                              OKay... well Tina asked about "fire", but the subject line says
                              "campfire"...
                              ...but then again.. in Texas everything is a wee bit bigger :-)

                              SCNR

                              --
                              GreetingZ
                              Uwe
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                                Is information available about the refinery
                                structures? What they are made from? Etc.

                                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                              • zbendtrack@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                                  tfisher10@... writes:

                                  > Is information available about the refinery
                                  > structures? What they are made from? Etc.

                                  That's an N scale layout with off-the-shelf N scale kits combined into a
                                  scene. The track pattern has excellent promise for Z-Bend Track modules, which is
                                  another reason for taking the photo. The basic plastic model is:

                                  http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3219

                                  They added "stuff" from other kits to make the scene get bigger. The
                                  constant problem to solve in Z is the walkways and ladders. Look to "Scratch"
                                  products to resolve that.

                                  As a reference, the width of the plywood under the model in the photo is 2
                                  feet. Perhaps that will give you some idea of size.

                                  Be mindful that many N scale kits work in Z. Marklin does it all the time
                                  (buy N scale kits and stuff them in a box marked Z).

                                  Does this help?
                                  Bill K.
                                  Houston

                                • Tom Fisher
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                                    Yes, it helps a lot.

                                    I have several of the N + Z scale kits sitting around
                                    waiting for time to work on anything Z.

                                    The Walther's tank kit works fine if you use each ring
                                    segment as a separate tank.

                                    The Fuller cylindrical gas tank in Z is a nice piece.

                                    The Altas N scale tank is actually small for Z -- the
                                    ladder and rail might be a tad big for Z.

                                    Some of the other N scale structures work fine as long
                                    as it doesn't have a normal size door for an adult
                                    human or some other detail that gives a clue to the
                                    actual scale.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 27, 2005
                                      That's spherical and not cylindrical.

                                      --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> wrote:

                                      > Yes, it helps a lot.
                                      >
                                      > I have several of the N + Z scale kits sitting
                                      > around
                                      > waiting for time to work on anything Z.
                                      >
                                      > The Walther's tank kit works fine if you use each
                                      > ring
                                      > segment as a separate tank.
                                      >
                                      > The Fuller cylindrical gas tank in Z is a nice
                                      > piece.
                                      >
                                      > The Altas N scale tank is actually small for Z --
                                      > the
                                      > ladder and rail might be a tad big for Z.
                                      >
                                      > Some of the other N scale structures work fine as
                                      > long
                                      > as it doesn't have a normal size door for an adult
                                      > human or some other detail that gives a clue to the
                                      > actual scale.
                                      >

                                      > --- zbendtrack@... wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > tfisher10@... writes:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Is information available about the refinery
                                      > > > structures? What they are made from? Etc.
                                      > > >
                                      > > That's an N scale layout with off-the-shelf N
                                      > scale
                                      > > kits combined into a
                                      > > scene. The track pattern has excellent promise
                                      > for
                                      > > Z-Bend Track modules, which is
                                      > > another reason for taking the photo. The basic
                                      > > plastic model is:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3219
                                      > >
                                      > > They added "stuff" from other kits to make the
                                      > scene
                                      > > get bigger. The
                                      > > constant problem to solve in Z is the walkways and
                                      > > ladders. Look to "Scratch"
                                      > > products to resolve that.
                                      > >
                                      > > As a reference, the width of the plywood under the
                                      > > model in the photo is 2
                                      > > feet. Perhaps that will give you some idea of
                                      > size.
                                      > >
                                      > > Be mindful that many N scale kits work in Z.
                                      > > Marklin does it all the time
                                      > > (buy N scale kits and stuff them in a box marked
                                      > Z).
                                      > >
                                      > > Does this help?
                                      > > Bill K.
                                      > > Houston

                                      > > removed]

                                      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Tina Fraser
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 28, 2005
                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                                        > Hello Bill,
                                        >
                                        > >> So, if okay, could you email me more information about what it
                                        is you
                                        > >> have that could simulate fire?
                                        >
                                        > > Why settle for simulations? Check this out:
                                        > > http://members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Real_Fire.jpg
                                        >
                                        > OKay... well Tina asked about "fire", but the subject line says
                                        > "campfire"...
                                        > ...but then again.. in Texas everything is a wee bit bigger :-)
                                        >
                                        > SCNR

                                        Not only that, but I think in my layout I would be modeling a forest
                                        fire using real flame....not something I want to subject my trains to
                                        I think! B) Has anyone modeled a forest fire? Or burnt land?
                                      • Tina Fraser
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 28, 2005
                                          > Not only that, but I think in my layout I would be modeling a
                                          forest
                                          > fire using real flame

                                          I just gave myself an idea for another layout!!! Does anyone know if
                                          there are special requirements at exhibits and shows for models using
                                          open flames? I think I would like to take on a challenge like this
                                          and integrate it somehow to "flare up", then die down and smoke.
                                          Wow....imagine doing that on a z-layout at a show. Anyone seen it in
                                          another scale? I even had a bright idea for hooking up a helicopter
                                          and duster plane for dropping water and all.......so they can
                                          actually "fly" around. Hmmmmm.....
                                        • Uwe Liermann
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                            Hello Tina,

                                            >> Not only that, but I think in my layout I would be modeling a
                                            >> forest fire using real flame

                                            > I just gave myself an idea for another layout!!! Does anyone know if
                                            > there are special requirements at exhibits and shows for models using
                                            > open flames? I think I would like to take on a challenge like this
                                            > and integrate it somehow to "flare up", then die down and smoke.

                                            Well... that would for sure bring a crowd together...
                                            ...but I believe the insurance folks will go nuts...

                                            > Wow....imagine doing that on a z-layout at a show. Anyone seen it in
                                            > another scale?

                                            not with live fire, but one of the two heads of the Miniaturwunderland
                                            in Hamburg, Germany (it take twins to be as nuts as they are :-) )
                                            loves everything in red with a ladder and flashing blue lights on it.

                                            They have those fire engines driving to a fire scene in one part of
                                            their layout. Downside is it' all H0 scale...
                                            ...guess what one could do with this space in Z :-)

                                            > I even had a bright idea for hooking up a helicopter and duster
                                            > plane for dropping water and all.......so they can actually "fly"
                                            > around. Hmmmmm.....

                                            actually flying is a thing they are thinking about too...
                                            ...but currently they are creating a layout part with real water and
                                            ferrys that carry trains...

                                            check out http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de and there the weekly
                                            report and the car system parts. The English part of the website is
                                            getting better and better all the time.

                                            --
                                            GreetingZ
                                            Uwe
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                              Hi Tina,

                                              Anything you can imagine is probably possible in "Z". However, in
                                              answer to your specific question about special requirements...the
                                              short answer is - OPEN FLAMES ARE SIMPLY NOT ALLOWED!" At every
                                              train show that I have attended the exhibits are checked over by the
                                              local fire marshall. I can assure you that any display with an open
                                              flame would be immediately ordered shut down and the fuel source
                                              removed from the premisses. In some cases where the fire marshall is
                                              not in such a good mood, the display could simply be ordered removed
                                              from the show altogether.

                                              Even in a home environment, I would strongly advise against
                                              installing any display with an open flame, no matter how cool the
                                              idea is. Before you go ahead with any such project, don't forget to
                                              inform your insurance provider. I'm sure that they will have an
                                              opinion on the advisability of such a situation. Unfortunately
                                              accidents do happen.

                                              Having running water, on the other hand, is an even greater challenge
                                              on a layout. There again, if left unattended and a leak should
                                              occur, there can be quite a mess to clean up, not to mention
                                              potential damage.

                                              Enjoy your trains,
                                              Jeffrey MacHan

                                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Fraser" <t_dfraser@m...> wrote:

                                              > I just gave myself an idea for another layout!!! Does anyone know
                                              if
                                              > there are special requirements at exhibits and shows for models
                                              using
                                              > open flames?
                                            • Jeffrey MacHan
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                                Hi Tina,

                                                A burnt forest area is a lot of fun to model and relatively easy. It
                                                takes a small number of spirea twigs that you can "plant" and break
                                                to personal taste in the burnt area. The twigs can be blackened with
                                                an india ink wash in isoproply alcohol. I also used the india ink
                                                wash and diluted black acrylic paint dabbed on with a stiff brush to
                                                depict a burnt over section of woodland. The undegrowth being burnt
                                                up, I applied my ashes to a barren rock surface of prepainted
                                                styrofoam.

                                                Remeber that most of the smaller branches will have been destroyed so
                                                only the thicker trunks and branches should have survived the fire
                                                (depending on how long and how hot it burned - you are the fire
                                                warden so you can decide). In my case, the fire was caused by a
                                                cigarette tossed from a machinery operator at a wood cutting site.
                                                As a result, the fire was put out rather quickly so there was no need
                                                to show a large area of burnt off forest. The burnt area included
                                                several stumps from the woodcutting operation and a section of burnt
                                                trees.

                                                The great thing about this kind of scene is that you can place a
                                                smoke generator under the burnt forest and have smoke drift up
                                                through a fine mesh covering the access point to the generator. Here
                                                you can use some of those Preiser unpainted figurines (painted grimy
                                                black from head to toe) as members of the fire crew. No need for
                                                detail work on the figurines!

                                                Just as an afterthought, you could use real ashes tamped down with a
                                                fingertip onto the almost dry acrylic paint (I didn't do this so I
                                                have no idea what the final effect might be).

                                                Have fun!
                                                Jeffrey

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                                                  <SNIP> (from Tina)
                                                  > > I even had a bright idea for hooking up a helicopter and duster
                                                  > > plane for dropping water and all.......so they can actually "fly"
                                                  > > around. Hmmmmm.....
                                                  >
                                                  > actually flying is a thing they are thinking about too...
                                                  > ...but currently they are creating a layout part with real water and
                                                  > ferrys that carry trains... <SNIP>

                                                  Saw the flying technique described below used at a show a while back,
                                                  a highly animated large N scale layout. Was very impressive and
                                                  worthwhile for anyone who wants to try this.

                                                  At opposite ends of the layout, poles held horizontal pulleys about 3-
                                                  4 inches diameter (8-10cm but not critical) about 3 feet (1 meter)
                                                  above the layout with thin nylon fishing line looped tightly between
                                                  them. At one end a motor spun a pully, each pully was supported from
                                                  the top only so that flying objects could be dangled from the loop by
                                                  more thin fishing line. Little airplanes, hot air balloon, even a
                                                  miniature Superman flew back and forth along the length of the
                                                  layout. The thin nylon lines were almost invisible.
                                                • Uwe Liermann
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 1, 2005
                                                    Hello Jeffrey,

                                                    > Having running water, on the other hand, is an even greater challenge
                                                    > on a layout. There again, if left unattended and a leak should
                                                    > occur, there can be quite a mess to clean up, not to mention
                                                    > potential damage.

                                                    oh well, a friend of mine has an aquarium holding about 950 liters
                                                    water in it. He says:

                                                    "Any halfway decent carpet can clear about 100 liters anyway..."

                                                    Now imagine what you can model with only half of it in Z scale :-)

                                                    --
                                                    GreetingZ
                                                    Uwe