Track Plans

  • Larry Donsbach
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2005
      I have posted 4 track plans that I found. The smallest is approx 2 X
      4 and the others go from "big" to "I wish I had the room (and money)
      for that layout".
    • cspratt2001
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2005
        Most track plans also give a list of the track required to complete
        the project. There are several z scale plans on the Noch site for
        their preformed layouts.

        Chris. Spratt
        Victoria, BC

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Donsbach" <ldonsbach@s...> wrote:

        > I have posted 4 track plans that I found. The smallest is approx 2 X
        > 4 and the others go from "big" to "I wish I had the room (and money)
        > for that layout".
      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 23, 2005
          For the folks who have been asking about where to find track plans,
          here is a pretty good suggested set from Kato.

          http://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html

          They are in N [Kato], but without too much brain surgery you can
          convert to Z especially if you use MTL flextrack. Maybe by the time
          you start laying track MTL will have turnouts.

          ...don
        • Larry Donsbach
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 23, 2005
            The use of a Kato track plan is that Kato has 2 curved radii track
            whereas MTL only has one. Using MTL track with Kato track plans just
            won't work. Unfortunately.

            Larry D
            San Antonio, TX

          • Don
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 23, 2005
              Flextrack Flextrack Flextrack is what I mentioned. I may be wrong but I
              don't think Kato even makes Z. Yes if you want to buy individual
              pre-curved track pieces, the plans won't work. If you want to make a
              nice layout using a plan as a reference and doing a little track bending
              yourself, some of these plans will work quite well.

              Don

              The use of a Kato track plan is that Kato has 2 curved radii track
              whereas MTL only has one. Using MTL track with Kato track plans just
              won't work. Unfortunately.

              Larry D
              San Antonio, TX

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 23, 2005
                > I may be wrong but I
                > don't think Kato even makes Z.

                They don't make any, and a few years ago they told
                they don't even consider making Z one of these days.

                Dominique

              • roysmith1
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Any ideas where I can find track plans [Marklin or Micro-Trains] for a
                  small layout [20" x 30" or 30" x 40"]? Thanks
                • altacrest
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 14, 2007
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "roysmith1" <roysmith1@...> wrote:
                    > Any ideas where I can find track plans [Marklin or Micro-Trains] for
                    > a small layout [20" x 30" or 30" x 40"]? Thanks

                    Try a search on eBay for "Track Plans" - there's one listing: Marklin
                    Z gauge track plan brochure - [eBay item 230168877297 end time Sep-15-
                    07 13:28:59 PDT)[http://cgi.ebay.com/Marklin-Z-gauge-track-plan-
                    brochure-
                    NEW_W0QQitemZ230168877297QQihZ013QQcategoryZ7276QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2V
                    QQcmdZViewItem]

                    Gudi Molinari
                    Las Vegas, NV
                    Z-Gauge URL: http://hometown.aol.com/altacrest/zgauge.htm
                  • Uwe Liermann
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 15, 2007
                      Hello roysmith1,

                      > Any ideas where I can find track plans [Marklin or Micro-Trains] for a
                      > small layout [20" x 30" or 30" x 40"]?

                      maybe you will find something here:

                      http://carendt.us/microplans/index.html

                      those plans are for other scales, but since any other scale needs more
                      space, you are free to either go for a plan that's bigger, or to widen
                      an existing plan.

                      When extending an existing plan, you can add more scenery, and/or you
                      can also easier avoid tracks parallel to the layout borders. This will
                      also increase the appearance of the layout.

                      An example as I did that you can see in my folder "Uwe Liermann" in
                      the photo section:

                      the original plan, that I found in an old Maerklin book was about 95 x
                      55 cm / 40" x 21.6", and since I had the space I extended the plan to
                      115 x 75 cm / 45" x 30". This made the grades less steep, and I used a
                      more curved track layout in the front. The tracks at both sides are in
                      a tunnel, and in the back are mostly hidden by scenery, therefore i
                      kept the parallel lines to the layout borders.

                      Don't hesitate if you have questions about details.

                      --
                      GreetingZ
                      Uwe