Re: Kari Tanskanen on Cover this week!

  • zscale@retrograde.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
      Jeffrey, is it possible to set up the Z_Scale home page so that by
      clicking on the featured layout picture, one can view a larger
      version of the same photo? I'd love to get a closer look at the
      details on people's layouts.

      Taking the idea a step further to a more labor-intensive level,
      linking the home-page layout photo to a separate page containing
      several photos of the layout would be great too. Once I've seen one,
      I always want to see more! :)

      Cheers, and keep up the good work!

      -- Andy Hunting
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hi Andy,

        I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see the
        full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place all of
        the original jpegs there.

        jpg

        You can also visit his layout via
        http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/

        Enjoy,
        Jeffrey

      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
          OK, Andy, it's done...I've linked the Cover photo to Kari's home
          page so you can visit his layout from our list's home page.

          I really like your suggestion. If members send their photos
          along with the link to their home page or to their photo pages, I'll
          link the cover photo to their layout pages.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

        • jmac_han@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
            David,

            I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
            sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
            something to look into if and when we get a number of images
            from members. I suspect that the random image display
            generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
            lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
            together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey

            --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:
            > Jeffrey,
            >
            > Also something to consider is a rotating image - a different
            random image
            > would appear each time the page is loaded. Not a request;
            more of a "what if."

            > -David
            >

            > At 01:24 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Hi Andy,
            > >
            > >I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see
            the
            > >full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place
            all of
            > >the original jpegs there.

            > http://www.creativelement.com/z/
          • D. A. Karp
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                Jeffrey,

                If you're interested, I could whip one up in Perl. No problemo.

                -David

                At 01:58 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                >David,
                >
                >I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                >sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                >something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                >from members. I suspect that the random image display
                >generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                >lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                >together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)
                >
                >Cheers,
                >Jeffrey

                http://www.creativelement.com/z/
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Hello Dieter and others,

                  I think Dieter has a good point about most people not
                  being able to scan or upload the images.

                  I have both slide and flatbed scanners. So, if you
                  send me your pictures I will volunteer to scan them
                  and get them to Jeff. The scanned files will also be
                  available to you for your own use.

                  You can send your photos or a slides to me at the
                  address below. If you want the photo or slide
                  returned, please enclose a self addressed stamped
                  envelop. Please do not send more then 10 pictures.

                  You can mail them to me at:

                  Bill Erfurth
                  Box 2185
                  Evergreen, Colorado 80439
                  USA

                  Regards,
                  Bill

                  a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Jeffrey MacHan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
                    Thanks David,

                    Let's wait and see if the list reacts to my invitation for images. So far
                    only one member has submitted a photo.

                    Cheers,
                    Jeffrey

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                      A random-picture script can be fashioned using JavaScript, as well. I
                      fear it will be a few months before I will be able to donate some
                      reasonably scenic layout photos to the cause. Until then, heavy
                      construction continues!

                      Andy Hunting

                    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                        Dear Jeff,

                        just one remark.

                        On 5th of February you sent out two e-mails "Request for permission....." with a
                        volume of 324 and 248 kb resp..
                        With my 'Lambarene-PC' I would never touch such big e-mails. I just delete them
                        at the server without having read them.
                        I guess, there are also other members of the list, who are doing the same.

                        There are members out there, who are not equipped with the latest highend
                        machines. Are they outlaws?

                        Regards

                        Dieter

                        Dieter W. Nolte