Re: Kari Tanskanen on Cover this week!

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
      Excellent suggestion, Dave! Is there a smiley for a hand
      slapping a forehead? |-0

      OK, fellow Z's, take your favorite photos and have them scanned
      onto a floppy or CD. Then send them to Z_Scale!

      Best regards,
      Jeffrey

    • zscale@retrograde.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
        Jeffrey, is it possible to set up the Z_Scale home page so that by
        clicking on the featured layout picture, one can view a larger
        version of the same photo? I'd love to get a closer look at the
        details on people's layouts.

        Taking the idea a step further to a more labor-intensive level,
        linking the home-page layout photo to a separate page containing
        several photos of the layout would be great too. Once I've seen one,
        I always want to see more! :)

        Cheers, and keep up the good work!

        -- Andy Hunting
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hi Andy,

          I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see the
          full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place all of
          the original jpegs there.

          jpg

          You can also visit his layout via
          http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/

          Enjoy,
          Jeffrey

        • jmac_han@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
            OK, Andy, it's done...I've linked the Cover photo to Kari's home
            page so you can visit his layout from our list's home page.

            I really like your suggestion. If members send their photos
            along with the link to their home page or to their photo pages, I'll
            link the cover photo to their layout pages.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey

          • jmac_han@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
              David,

              I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
              sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
              something to look into if and when we get a number of images
              from members. I suspect that the random image display
              generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
              lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
              together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey

              --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:
              > Jeffrey,
              >
              > Also something to consider is a rotating image - a different
              random image
              > would appear each time the page is loaded. Not a request;
              more of a "what if."

              > -David
              >

              > At 01:24 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              > >Hi Andy,
              > >
              > >I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see
              the
              > >full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place
              all of
              > >the original jpegs there.

              > http://www.creativelement.com/z/
            • D. A. Karp
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Jeffrey,

                  If you're interested, I could whip one up in Perl. No problemo.

                  -David

                  At 01:58 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                  >David,
                  >
                  >I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                  >sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                  >something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                  >from members. I suspect that the random image display
                  >generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                  >lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                  >together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >Jeffrey

                  http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Hello Dieter and others,

                    I think Dieter has a good point about most people not
                    being able to scan or upload the images.

                    I have both slide and flatbed scanners. So, if you
                    send me your pictures I will volunteer to scan them
                    and get them to Jeff. The scanned files will also be
                    available to you for your own use.

                    You can send your photos or a slides to me at the
                    address below. If you want the photo or slide
                    returned, please enclose a self addressed stamped
                    envelop. Please do not send more then 10 pictures.

                    You can mail them to me at:

                    Bill Erfurth
                    Box 2185
                    Evergreen, Colorado 80439
                    USA

                    Regards,
                    Bill

                    a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Jeffrey MacHan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
                      Thanks David,

                      Let's wait and see if the list reacts to my invitation for images. So far
                      only one member has submitted a photo.

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                        A random-picture script can be fashioned using JavaScript, as well. I
                        fear it will be a few months before I will be able to donate some
                        reasonably scenic layout photos to the cause. Until then, heavy
                        construction continues!

                        Andy Hunting

                      • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                          Dear Jeff,

                          just one remark.

                          On 5th of February you sent out two e-mails "Request for permission....." with a
                          volume of 324 and 248 kb resp..
                          With my 'Lambarene-PC' I would never touch such big e-mails. I just delete them
                          at the server without having read them.
                          I guess, there are also other members of the list, who are doing the same.

                          There are members out there, who are not equipped with the latest highend
                          machines. Are they outlaws?

                          Regards

                          Dieter

                          Dieter W. Nolte