Re: Kari Tanskanen on Cover this week!

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Dieter,

      I was looking forward to seeing your layout on Z_Scale.

      Do you have access to a digital camera in order to take some
      JPG photos?

      The easiest digital camera for use with older PCs is any of the
      Sony Mavica line of cameras that use 1.4meg floppy disks to
      store the images. Terry Sutfin and I both use Mavicas. Once the
      pictures have been taken, you transfer them to the hard disk
      drive on your PC. You can use a photo viewer like ACDC to view,
      resize and rename the images. A trial version is available for
      download at the following address

      http://www.acdsystems.com

      Once you have the images on your hard drive, it is easy to upload
      images to Z_Scale. The site has a built in FTP function that will
      help you upload images to the list.

      Use your web browser to go to the following address and then
      use the 'Add File' link to begin the process.

      Click on the Browse button to see a directory listing on your
      computer. Navigate to the file that you want to upload and click
      on it to add it to the upload window. Click on 'Upload File' and
      Z_Scale will add your file to the folder. You can edit the
      description any time you want.

      Let me know if you have any questions.

      On the subject of the database, I have temporarily locked the
      database file so that only the moderator can edit it. Let me know
      if you want to have access to it in order to make additions or to
      edit any of the entries. I will be happy to unlock it for you.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      --- In z_scale@y..., Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t... wrote:
      > Dear Jeff,
      >
      > with great pleasure I would like to show you some pictures of
      my American
      > layout. However, I have only a simple PC (not even a Pentium
      processor), some
      > friends call it a 'Lambarene PC'. However, this was state of the
      art in 1999!!
      > I am not able with my equipment and knowledge to place
      pictures into the web.
      > I wonder how many Z fans world wide are able to do this. I
      estimate, only 30 or
      > at most 40 Z fans are able to provide the full service. Really, a
      small number.
      > So, please accept my appology, not being able to participate in
      this contest.

      > P.S.: I am still working at the data bank principles.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Dieter

    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
        If you don't want to invest in a digital camera, many photo development
        places will now scan your photos onto a floppy or CD for the same price as
        making prints.

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
          Excellent suggestion, Dave! Is there a smiley for a hand
          slapping a forehead? |-0

          OK, fellow Z's, take your favorite photos and have them scanned
          onto a floppy or CD. Then send them to Z_Scale!

          Best regards,
          Jeffrey

        • zscale@retrograde.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
            Jeffrey, is it possible to set up the Z_Scale home page so that by
            clicking on the featured layout picture, one can view a larger
            version of the same photo? I'd love to get a closer look at the
            details on people's layouts.

            Taking the idea a step further to a more labor-intensive level,
            linking the home-page layout photo to a separate page containing
            several photos of the layout would be great too. Once I've seen one,
            I always want to see more! :)

            Cheers, and keep up the good work!

            -- Andy Hunting
          • jmac_han@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
              Hi Andy,

              I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see the
              full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place all of
              the original jpegs there.

              jpg

              You can also visit his layout via
              http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/

              Enjoy,
              Jeffrey

            • jmac_han@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                OK, Andy, it's done...I've linked the Cover photo to Kari's home
                page so you can visit his layout from our list's home page.

                I really like your suggestion. If members send their photos
                along with the link to their home page or to their photo pages, I'll
                link the cover photo to their layout pages.

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey

              • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                  David,

                  I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                  sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                  something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                  from members. I suspect that the random image display
                  generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                  lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                  together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                      Jeffrey,

                      If you're interested, I could whip one up in Perl. No problemo.

                      -David

                      At 01:58 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                      >David,
                      >
                      >I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                      >sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                      >something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                      >from members. I suspect that the random image display
                      >generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                      >lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                      >together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)
                      >
                      >Cheers,
                      >Jeffrey

                      http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                        Hello Dieter and others,

                        I think Dieter has a good point about most people not
                        being able to scan or upload the images.

                        I have both slide and flatbed scanners. So, if you
                        send me your pictures I will volunteer to scan them
                        and get them to Jeff. The scanned files will also be
                        available to you for your own use.

                        You can send your photos or a slides to me at the
                        address below. If you want the photo or slide
                        returned, please enclose a self addressed stamped
                        envelop. Please do not send more then 10 pictures.

                        You can mail them to me at:

                        Bill Erfurth
                        Box 2185
                        Evergreen, Colorado 80439
                        USA

                        Regards,
                        Bill

                        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Jeffrey MacHan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
                          Thanks David,

                          Let's wait and see if the list reacts to my invitation for images. So far
                          only one member has submitted a photo.

                          Cheers,
                          Jeffrey

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                            A random-picture script can be fashioned using JavaScript, as well. I
                            fear it will be a few months before I will be able to donate some
                            reasonably scenic layout photos to the cause. Until then, heavy
                            construction continues!

                            Andy Hunting

                          • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                              Dear Jeff,

                              just one remark.

                              On 5th of February you sent out two e-mails "Request for permission....." with a
                              volume of 324 and 248 kb resp..
                              With my 'Lambarene-PC' I would never touch such big e-mails. I just delete them
                              at the server without having read them.
                              I guess, there are also other members of the list, who are doing the same.

                              There are members out there, who are not equipped with the latest highend
                              machines. Are they outlaws?

                              Regards

                              Dieter

                              Dieter W. Nolte