Re: [z_scale] Kari Tanskanen on Cover this week!

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2 4:08 PM
      Dear Jeff,

      with great pleasure I would like to show you some pictures of my American
      layout. However, I have only a simple PC (not even a Pentium processor), some
      friends call it a 'Lambarene PC'. However, this was state of the art in 1999!!
      I am not able with my equipment and knowledge to place pictures into the web.
      I wonder how many Z fans world wide are able to do this. I estimate, only 30 or
      at most 40 Z fans are able to provide the full service. Really, a small number.
      So, please accept my appology, not being able to participate in this contest.

      P.S.: I am still working at the data bank principles.

      Regards

      Dieter

      jmac_han@... schrieb:
      > Hi Gang,
      >
      > This week's cover photo comes from Kari Tanskanen. Check
      > out the following link to admire his layout.

      > Thanks Kari. :-)
      >
      > Last week's photo featured Stan Jones' modules from the great
      > state of Texas.
      >
      > Invitation to all Z_Scale members: we need more photos of your
      > work. Upload your jpegs to the group in 'Files - Cover photos'
      > and the world will soon be admiring your module, model,
      > structure, bridge, layout etc. as one of Z_Scale's Cover Photos.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jeffrey MacHan

      Dieter W. Nolte
      E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2 4:38 PM
        Hi Dieter,

        I was looking forward to seeing your layout on Z_Scale.

        Do you have access to a digital camera in order to take some
        JPG photos?

        The easiest digital camera for use with older PCs is any of the
        Sony Mavica line of cameras that use 1.4meg floppy disks to
        store the images. Terry Sutfin and I both use Mavicas. Once the
        pictures have been taken, you transfer them to the hard disk
        drive on your PC. You can use a photo viewer like ACDC to view,
        resize and rename the images. A trial version is available for
        download at the following address

        http://www.acdsystems.com

        Once you have the images on your hard drive, it is easy to upload
        images to Z_Scale. The site has a built in FTP function that will
        help you upload images to the list.

        Use your web browser to go to the following address and then
        use the 'Add File' link to begin the process.

        Click on the Browse button to see a directory listing on your
        computer. Navigate to the file that you want to upload and click
        on it to add it to the upload window. Click on 'Upload File' and
        Z_Scale will add your file to the folder. You can edit the
        description any time you want.

        Let me know if you have any questions.

        On the subject of the database, I have temporarily locked the
        database file so that only the moderator can edit it. Let me know
        if you want to have access to it in order to make additions or to
        edit any of the entries. I will be happy to unlock it for you.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        --- In z_scale@y..., Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t... wrote:
        > Dear Jeff,
        >
        > with great pleasure I would like to show you some pictures of
        my American
        > layout. However, I have only a simple PC (not even a Pentium
        processor), some
        > friends call it a 'Lambarene PC'. However, this was state of the
        art in 1999!!
        > I am not able with my equipment and knowledge to place
        pictures into the web.
        > I wonder how many Z fans world wide are able to do this. I
        estimate, only 30 or
        > at most 40 Z fans are able to provide the full service. Really, a
        small number.
        > So, please accept my appology, not being able to participate in
        this contest.

        > P.S.: I am still working at the data bank principles.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Dieter

      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2 4:56 PM
          If you don't want to invest in a digital camera, many photo development
          places will now scan your photos onto a floppy or CD for the same price as
          making prints.

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • jmac_han@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2 4:56 PM
            Excellent suggestion, Dave! Is there a smiley for a hand
            slapping a forehead? |-0

            OK, fellow Z's, take your favorite photos and have them scanned
            onto a floppy or CD. Then send them to Z_Scale!

            Best regards,
            Jeffrey

          • zscale@retrograde.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2 4:58 PM
              Jeffrey, is it possible to set up the Z_Scale home page so that by
              clicking on the featured layout picture, one can view a larger
              version of the same photo? I'd love to get a closer look at the
              details on people's layouts.

              Taking the idea a step further to a more labor-intensive level,
              linking the home-page layout photo to a separate page containing
              several photos of the layout would be great too. Once I've seen one,
              I always want to see more! :)

              Cheers, and keep up the good work!

              -- Andy Hunting
            • jmac_han@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2 5:24 PM
                Hi Andy,

                I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see the
                full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place all of
                the original jpegs there.

                jpg

                You can also visit his layout via
                http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/

                Enjoy,
                Jeffrey

              • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2 5:38 PM
                  OK, Andy, it's done...I've linked the Cover photo to Kari's home
                  page so you can visit his layout from our list's home page.

                  I really like your suggestion. If members send their photos
                  along with the link to their home page or to their photo pages, I'll
                  link the cover photo to their layout pages.

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey

                • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2 5:58 PM
                    David,

                    I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                    sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                    something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                    from members. I suspect that the random image display
                    generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                    lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                    together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)

                    Cheers,
                    Jeffrey

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2 6:01 PM

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2 6:21 PM
                        Jeffrey,

                        If you're interested, I could whip one up in Perl. No problemo.

                        -David

                        At 01:58 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                        >David,
                        >
                        >I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                        >sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                        >something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                        >from members. I suspect that the random image display
                        >generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                        >lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                        >together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)
                        >
                        >Cheers,
                        >Jeffrey

                        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2 11:09 PM
                          Hello Dieter and others,

                          I think Dieter has a good point about most people not
                          being able to scan or upload the images.

                          I have both slide and flatbed scanners. So, if you
                          send me your pictures I will volunteer to scan them
                          and get them to Jeff. The scanned files will also be
                          available to you for your own use.

                          You can send your photos or a slides to me at the
                          address below. If you want the photo or slide
                          returned, please enclose a self addressed stamped
                          envelop. Please do not send more then 10 pictures.

                          You can mail them to me at:

                          Bill Erfurth
                          Box 2185
                          Evergreen, Colorado 80439
                          USA

                          Regards,
                          Bill

                          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Jeffrey MacHan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 3 11:18 PM
                            Thanks David,

                            Let's wait and see if the list reacts to my invitation for images. So far
                            only one member has submitted a photo.

                            Cheers,
                            Jeffrey

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5 1:37 PM
                              A random-picture script can be fashioned using JavaScript, as well. I
                              fear it will be a few months before I will be able to donate some
                              reasonably scenic layout photos to the cause. Until then, heavy
                              construction continues!

                              Andy Hunting

                            • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 5 3:44 PM
                                Dear Jeff,

                                just one remark.

                                On 5th of February you sent out two e-mails "Request for permission....." with a
                                volume of 324 and 248 kb resp..
                                With my 'Lambarene-PC' I would never touch such big e-mails. I just delete them
                                at the server without having read them.
                                I guess, there are also other members of the list, who are doing the same.

                                There are members out there, who are not equipped with the latest highend
                                machines. Are they outlaws?

                                Regards

                                Dieter

                                Dieter W. Nolte