Kari Tanskanen on Cover this week!

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      This week's cover photo comes from Kari Tanskanen. Check
      out the following link to admire his layout.

      Thanks Kari. :-)

      Last week's photo featured Stan Jones' modules from the great
      state of Texas.

      Invitation to all Z_Scale members: we need more photos of your
      work. Upload your jpegs to the group in 'Files - Cover photos'
      and the world will soon be admiring your module, model,
      structure, bridge, layout etc. as one of Z_Scale's Cover Photos.

      Regards,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
        Dear Jeff,

        with great pleasure I would like to show you some pictures of my American
        layout. However, I have only a simple PC (not even a Pentium processor), some
        friends call it a 'Lambarene PC'. However, this was state of the art in 1999!!
        I am not able with my equipment and knowledge to place pictures into the web.
        I wonder how many Z fans world wide are able to do this. I estimate, only 30 or
        at most 40 Z fans are able to provide the full service. Really, a small number.
        So, please accept my appology, not being able to participate in this contest.

        P.S.: I am still working at the data bank principles.

        Regards

        Dieter

        jmac_han@... schrieb:
        > Hi Gang,
        >
        > This week's cover photo comes from Kari Tanskanen. Check
        > out the following link to admire his layout.

        > Thanks Kari. :-)
        >
        > Last week's photo featured Stan Jones' modules from the great
        > state of Texas.
        >
        > Invitation to all Z_Scale members: we need more photos of your
        > work. Upload your jpegs to the group in 'Files - Cover photos'
        > and the world will soon be admiring your module, model,
        > structure, bridge, layout etc. as one of Z_Scale's Cover Photos.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Jeffrey MacHan

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hi Dieter,

          I was looking forward to seeing your layout on Z_Scale.

          Do you have access to a digital camera in order to take some
          JPG photos?

          The easiest digital camera for use with older PCs is any of the
          Sony Mavica line of cameras that use 1.4meg floppy disks to
          store the images. Terry Sutfin and I both use Mavicas. Once the
          pictures have been taken, you transfer them to the hard disk
          drive on your PC. You can use a photo viewer like ACDC to view,
          resize and rename the images. A trial version is available for
          download at the following address

          http://www.acdsystems.com

          Once you have the images on your hard drive, it is easy to upload
          images to Z_Scale. The site has a built in FTP function that will
          help you upload images to the list.

          Use your web browser to go to the following address and then
          use the 'Add File' link to begin the process.

          Click on the Browse button to see a directory listing on your
          computer. Navigate to the file that you want to upload and click
          on it to add it to the upload window. Click on 'Upload File' and
          Z_Scale will add your file to the folder. You can edit the
          description any time you want.

          Let me know if you have any questions.

          On the subject of the database, I have temporarily locked the
          database file so that only the moderator can edit it. Let me know
          if you want to have access to it in order to make additions or to
          edit any of the entries. I will be happy to unlock it for you.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

          --- In z_scale@y..., Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t... wrote:
          > Dear Jeff,
          >
          > with great pleasure I would like to show you some pictures of
          my American
          > layout. However, I have only a simple PC (not even a Pentium
          processor), some
          > friends call it a 'Lambarene PC'. However, this was state of the
          art in 1999!!
          > I am not able with my equipment and knowledge to place
          pictures into the web.
          > I wonder how many Z fans world wide are able to do this. I
          estimate, only 30 or
          > at most 40 Z fans are able to provide the full service. Really, a
          small number.
          > So, please accept my appology, not being able to participate in
          this contest.

          > P.S.: I am still working at the data bank principles.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Dieter

        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
            If you don't want to invest in a digital camera, many photo development
            places will now scan your photos onto a floppy or CD for the same price as
            making prints.

            http://www.creativelement.com/z/
          • jmac_han@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
              Excellent suggestion, Dave! Is there a smiley for a hand
              slapping a forehead? |-0

              OK, fellow Z's, take your favorite photos and have them scanned
              onto a floppy or CD. Then send them to Z_Scale!

              Best regards,
              Jeffrey

            • zscale@retrograde.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                Jeffrey, is it possible to set up the Z_Scale home page so that by
                clicking on the featured layout picture, one can view a larger
                version of the same photo? I'd love to get a closer look at the
                details on people's layouts.

                Taking the idea a step further to a more labor-intensive level,
                linking the home-page layout photo to a separate page containing
                several photos of the layout would be great too. Once I've seen one,
                I always want to see more! :)

                Cheers, and keep up the good work!

                -- Andy Hunting
              • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Hi Andy,

                  I'll look into your suggestions. In the meantime, you can see the
                  full size image in the 'Files - Cover Photos' section. I place all of
                  the original jpegs there.

                  jpg

                  You can also visit his layout via
                  http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/

                  Enjoy,
                  Jeffrey

                • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                    OK, Andy, it's done...I've linked the Cover photo to Kari's home
                    page so you can visit his layout from our list's home page.

                    I really like your suggestion. If members send their photos
                    along with the link to their home page or to their photo pages, I'll
                    link the cover photo to their layout pages.

                    Cheers,
                    Jeffrey

                  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                      David,

                      I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                      sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                      something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                      from members. I suspect that the random image display
                      generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                      lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                      together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                          Jeffrey,

                          If you're interested, I could whip one up in Perl. No problemo.

                          -David

                          At 01:58 AM 2/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                          >David,
                          >
                          >I'm not sure whether Yahoogroups.com would permit such
                          >sophisticated effects on their limited hosting capacities. It's
                          >something to look into if and when we get a number of images
                          >from members. I suspect that the random image display
                          >generator might be a java applet. If that is the case, I'm out to
                          >lunch. I'm lucky just to be able to string a bunch of letters
                          >together and even then I'm nto always os lkcuy! ;-)
                          >
                          >Cheers,
                          >Jeffrey

                          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 2, 2001
                            Hello Dieter and others,

                            I think Dieter has a good point about most people not
                            being able to scan or upload the images.

                            I have both slide and flatbed scanners. So, if you
                            send me your pictures I will volunteer to scan them
                            and get them to Jeff. The scanned files will also be
                            available to you for your own use.

                            You can send your photos or a slides to me at the
                            address below. If you want the photo or slide
                            returned, please enclose a self addressed stamped
                            envelop. Please do not send more then 10 pictures.

                            You can mail them to me at:

                            Bill Erfurth
                            Box 2185
                            Evergreen, Colorado 80439
                            USA

                            Regards,
                            Bill

                            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Jeffrey MacHan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
                              Thanks David,

                              Let's wait and see if the list reacts to my invitation for images. So far
                              only one member has submitted a photo.

                              Cheers,
                              Jeffrey

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                                A random-picture script can be fashioned using JavaScript, as well. I
                                fear it will be a few months before I will be able to donate some
                                reasonably scenic layout photos to the cause. Until then, heavy
                                construction continues!

                                Andy Hunting

                              • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
                                  Dear Jeff,

                                  just one remark.

                                  On 5th of February you sent out two e-mails "Request for permission....." with a
                                  volume of 324 and 248 kb resp..
                                  With my 'Lambarene-PC' I would never touch such big e-mails. I just delete them
                                  at the server without having read them.
                                  I guess, there are also other members of the list, who are doing the same.

                                  There are members out there, who are not equipped with the latest highend
                                  machines. Are they outlaws?

                                  Regards

                                  Dieter

                                  Dieter W. Nolte