RE: [z_scale] Pad Printing

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
      Danny,

      I tried pad printing for about a year with unacceptable results every time.
      It really takes professional equipment to do it right (and it does a great
      job when done right!) it is also great for mass produced items. I do all of
      my work now with blank decals and the ALPS line of printers. I am very happy
      with the results.

      Best,
      -Rob

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hi Danny,
        I'm not sure about Marklin but Micro-trains uses older semi auto pad
        printers and etched steel templates to get the high quality images on their
        rolling stock. These machines can be found on Ebay for a few thousand
        dollars. Then they need to be modified to be accurate enough for z scale.
        also the pads that are available commercially are not useable for the very
        small printing so plan on purchasing a bell vacume jar and having a pad mold
        made so you can make your own.
        Of course there are some manual machines on the market that will put your
        logo on pens and golf balls but I know from experience they are only capable
        of the most basic model decorating.
        I spent months trying to get an acceptable print on the rogue GP38's with
        one of these cheap econoprinters. In the end I went with a company in
        Portland.
        Don.
        Rantings from the Pacific NorthWest