Re: [z_scale] Pad Printing

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
      Dear Jay,

      please do not underestimate the difficulties of pad printing. I watched at my
      tour through the Maerklin factory, how a worker did numerous trial printings
      with different print pressures to get a reasonable result.

      regards

      Dieter

      Jay & Anne Greer schrieb:
      > Hi Danny,
      > What comes to mind here is that ever since I toured the Märklin factory, on
      > film, I have toyed with the idea of going to a rubber stamp maker if and
      > when I decide to change graphics on my rolling stock. It should not be a
      > problem if you can jig register the car or Lok in a well held position and
      > bring the pad down on a set of guides. I would check with a printer as to
      > what kind of paint or ink would be appropriate.
      > Best of luck,
      > Jay Greer
      >
      > > From: Danny Goodman <dannyg@...>
      > > Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:24:22 -0800
      > > To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: [z_scale] Pad Printing
      > >
      > > The "Lettering" thread got me wondering about what's involved with the
      > > kind of pad printing that Marklin uses. I seem to recall reading someone
      > > on this list doing it as well. What materials and processes are needed?
      > >
      > > Danny
      > > http://www.dannyg.com
      > >

      > > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

      Dieter W. Nolte
      E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
        Danny,

        I tried pad printing for about a year with unacceptable results every time.
        It really takes professional equipment to do it right (and it does a great
        job when done right!) it is also great for mass produced items. I do all of
        my work now with blank decals and the ALPS line of printers. I am very happy
        with the results.

        Best,
        -Rob

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hi Danny,
          I'm not sure about Marklin but Micro-trains uses older semi auto pad
          printers and etched steel templates to get the high quality images on their
          rolling stock. These machines can be found on Ebay for a few thousand
          dollars. Then they need to be modified to be accurate enough for z scale.
          also the pads that are available commercially are not useable for the very
          small printing so plan on purchasing a bell vacume jar and having a pad mold
          made so you can make your own.
          Of course there are some manual machines on the market that will put your
          logo on pens and golf balls but I know from experience they are only capable
          of the most basic model decorating.
          I spent months trying to get an acceptable print on the rogue GP38's with
          one of these cheap econoprinters. In the end I went with a company in
          Portland.
          Don.
          Rantings from the Pacific NorthWest