Pad Printing

  • Danny Goodman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
      The "Lettering" thread got me wondering about what's involved with the
      kind of pad printing that Marklin uses. I seem to recall reading someone
      on this list doing it as well. What materials and processes are needed?

      Danny
      http://www.dannyg.com
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi Danny,
        What comes to mind here is that ever since I toured the Märklin factory, on
        film, I have toyed with the idea of going to a rubber stamp maker if and
        when I decide to change graphics on my rolling stock. It should not be a
        problem if you can jig register the car or Lok in a well held position and
        bring the pad down on a set of guides. I would check with a printer as to
        what kind of paint or ink would be appropriate.
        Best of luck,
        Jay Greer

      • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
          Dear Jay,

          please do not underestimate the difficulties of pad printing. I watched at my
          tour through the Maerklin factory, how a worker did numerous trial printings
          with different print pressures to get a reasonable result.

          regards

          Dieter

          Jay & Anne Greer schrieb:
          > Hi Danny,
          > What comes to mind here is that ever since I toured the Märklin factory, on
          > film, I have toyed with the idea of going to a rubber stamp maker if and
          > when I decide to change graphics on my rolling stock. It should not be a
          > problem if you can jig register the car or Lok in a well held position and
          > bring the pad down on a set of guides. I would check with a printer as to
          > what kind of paint or ink would be appropriate.
          > Best of luck,
          > Jay Greer
          >
          > > From: Danny Goodman <dannyg@...>
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:24:22 -0800
          > > To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
          > > Subject: [z_scale] Pad Printing
          > >
          > > The "Lettering" thread got me wondering about what's involved with the
          > > kind of pad printing that Marklin uses. I seem to recall reading someone
          > > on this list doing it as well. What materials and processes are needed?
          > >
          > > Danny
          > > http://www.dannyg.com
          > >

          > > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

          Dieter W. Nolte
          E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
            Danny,

            I tried pad printing for about a year with unacceptable results every time.
            It really takes professional equipment to do it right (and it does a great
            job when done right!) it is also great for mass produced items. I do all of
            my work now with blank decals and the ALPS line of printers. I am very happy
            with the results.

            Best,
            -Rob

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
              Hi Danny,
              I'm not sure about Marklin but Micro-trains uses older semi auto pad
              printers and etched steel templates to get the high quality images on their
              rolling stock. These machines can be found on Ebay for a few thousand
              dollars. Then they need to be modified to be accurate enough for z scale.
              also the pads that are available commercially are not useable for the very
              small printing so plan on purchasing a bell vacume jar and having a pad mold
              made so you can make your own.
              Of course there are some manual machines on the market that will put your
              logo on pens and golf balls but I know from experience they are only capable
              of the most basic model decorating.
              I spent months trying to get an acceptable print on the rogue GP38's with
              one of these cheap econoprinters. In the end I went with a company in
              Portland.
              Don.
              Rantings from the Pacific NorthWest