RE: [z_scale] WARNING: Duratrax Power Shot Dissolves Marklin Motors

  • Tapani Tuominen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
      I would definitely keep all the unknown and untested chemicals away from
      valuable z-locomotives. Old fashioned hard labor is in my experience the
      only way to go with z-locomotives. When I have a locomotive that haven't
      been operated for years and the case is severe, like when the poor quality
      Märklin oil has glued all the moving parts together, I disassemble it
      completely and soak individual mechanical parts in relatively inoffensive
      isoprophyl alcohol. Even that is not safe enough however, as it seems to be
      able to soften the paint of plastic locomotive covers if in contact for
      several minutes. For less severe cases I have used an efficient and harmless
      lubrication product called 'Ballistol' (http://www.ballistol.com) to soften
      the hardened oil and to clean and lubricate the motor without disassembly. I
      also use Ballistol as the only lubrication agent for my locomotives.

      Tapani Tuominen
      France
      E-mail: trains@...

    • bjkronen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
        Bim:

        > Now the motor is partly dissolved and the 88991 needs at least a new motor.
        > am not sure what other damage, if any, was done.
        > Anybody have any comments about 'Miracle Cleaners'??

        I can only tell you about things that repeatedly work for our group here in
        Houston.

        Dirty commutators: Atlas Conductalube. One drop on the commutator while the
        motor is running on a 9 volt battery does absolute wonders to the physical
        appearance of the commutator, and very, very noticeably affect the motor
        speed (20% increase in rpm) the second it hits. Mind you, no more than one
        drop. Does not have any effect on plastics, brushes or wire insulation.

        New experience: I had a motor from a Marklin F7 which was unusable due to a
        "ring of fire" running around the commutator. No chemical, brush, or solvent
        I had would touch it. But thanks to another member, I got the opportunity to
        drop the motor into a 70% alcohol bath in an ultrasonic cleaner (MicroMart,
        among others). After 5 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, that motor became
        the best motor I own. It ran for hours and hours non-stop at last week's two
        day GATS show here on the Z-Bend Track modules. Very impressed. I'm saving
        my pennies for my own now.

        Regards,
        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston
      • zscale@retrograde.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
          Yikes! Well, I'll definitely avoid DURATRAX. What does it contain??

          QD Contact Cleaner may not be a 'Miracle Cleaner' as such, but it
          works great for flushing out locos. (See Message #216 and related
          messages from that thread.)

          Regards,

          Andy Hunting

        • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
            Dear Bill,

            did you lubricate the motor after this treatment and, if so, what lubricator
            you did use?

            As you may have read in the 'Z Club 92' Club Revue 4/2000, my little F7 machines
            run during a 4 day exhibition in Cologne on my layout without problems for more
            than 35 hrs a distance of about 13 miles! Only then, one loco of the double
            traction set refused to run further. I used as lubricator 'Ballistol'.

            Regards

            Dieter

            bjkronen@... schrieb:

            > New experience: I had a motor from a Marklin F7 which was unusable due to a
            > "ring of fire" running around the commutator. No chemical, brush, or solvent
            > I had would touch it. But thanks to another member, I got the opportunity to
            > drop the motor into a 70% alcohol bath in an ultrasonic cleaner (MicroMart,
            > among others). After 5 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, that motor became
            > the best motor I own. It ran for hours and hours non-stop at last week's two
            > day GATS show here on the Z-Bend Track modules. Very impressed. I'm saving
            > my pennies for my own now.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bill Kronenberger
            > Houston