WARNING: Duratrax Power Shot Dissolves Marklin Motors

  • 'Bim' Bousman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hello all,

      Forgive me for cross-posting.

      I was just trying to clean up a Marklin 88991 that I had for sale on eBay, and I
      used some DURATRAX Power Shot motor cleaner that I got at a hobby shop
      somewhere.

      Now the motor is partly dissolved and the 88991 needs at least a new motor. I am
      not sure what other damage, if any, was done.

      Anybody have any comments about 'Miracle Cleaners'??

      Maybe this is God's way of telling me that I should not advertise on mailing
      lists that I belong to when I put something on an auction site.

      Bim Bousman
      sad rubbergauger
    • Tapani Tuominen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
        I would definitely keep all the unknown and untested chemicals away from
        valuable z-locomotives. Old fashioned hard labor is in my experience the
        only way to go with z-locomotives. When I have a locomotive that haven't
        been operated for years and the case is severe, like when the poor quality
        Märklin oil has glued all the moving parts together, I disassemble it
        completely and soak individual mechanical parts in relatively inoffensive
        isoprophyl alcohol. Even that is not safe enough however, as it seems to be
        able to soften the paint of plastic locomotive covers if in contact for
        several minutes. For less severe cases I have used an efficient and harmless
        lubrication product called 'Ballistol' (http://www.ballistol.com) to soften
        the hardened oil and to clean and lubricate the motor without disassembly. I
        also use Ballistol as the only lubrication agent for my locomotives.

        Tapani Tuominen
        France
        E-mail: trains@...

      • bjkronen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
          Bim:

          > Now the motor is partly dissolved and the 88991 needs at least a new motor.
          > am not sure what other damage, if any, was done.
          > Anybody have any comments about 'Miracle Cleaners'??

          I can only tell you about things that repeatedly work for our group here in
          Houston.

          Dirty commutators: Atlas Conductalube. One drop on the commutator while the
          motor is running on a 9 volt battery does absolute wonders to the physical
          appearance of the commutator, and very, very noticeably affect the motor
          speed (20% increase in rpm) the second it hits. Mind you, no more than one
          drop. Does not have any effect on plastics, brushes or wire insulation.

          New experience: I had a motor from a Marklin F7 which was unusable due to a
          "ring of fire" running around the commutator. No chemical, brush, or solvent
          I had would touch it. But thanks to another member, I got the opportunity to
          drop the motor into a 70% alcohol bath in an ultrasonic cleaner (MicroMart,
          among others). After 5 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, that motor became
          the best motor I own. It ran for hours and hours non-stop at last week's two
          day GATS show here on the Z-Bend Track modules. Very impressed. I'm saving
          my pennies for my own now.

          Regards,
          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • zscale@retrograde.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
            Yikes! Well, I'll definitely avoid DURATRAX. What does it contain??

            QD Contact Cleaner may not be a 'Miracle Cleaner' as such, but it
            works great for flushing out locos. (See Message #216 and related
            messages from that thread.)

            Regards,

            Andy Hunting

          • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
              Dear Bill,

              did you lubricate the motor after this treatment and, if so, what lubricator
              you did use?

              As you may have read in the 'Z Club 92' Club Revue 4/2000, my little F7 machines
              run during a 4 day exhibition in Cologne on my layout without problems for more
              than 35 hrs a distance of about 13 miles! Only then, one loco of the double
              traction set refused to run further. I used as lubricator 'Ballistol'.

              Regards

              Dieter

              bjkronen@... schrieb:

              > New experience: I had a motor from a Marklin F7 which was unusable due to a
              > "ring of fire" running around the commutator. No chemical, brush, or solvent
              > I had would touch it. But thanks to another member, I got the opportunity to
              > drop the motor into a 70% alcohol bath in an ultrasonic cleaner (MicroMart,
              > among others). After 5 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, that motor became
              > the best motor I own. It ran for hours and hours non-stop at last week's two
              > day GATS show here on the Z-Bend Track modules. Very impressed. I'm saving
              > my pennies for my own now.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Bill Kronenberger
              > Houston