Re: [z_scale] Micro-Trains Track & Steam

  • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi Kevin

      The micro trains track is representative of standard gauge track in North American in Z-scale. It is close to North American 3ft 6in gauge track in N-scale, but is a long way from 3ft gauge in N-scale. I can provide the rail details in inches to three decimal places if you or anyone else is interested and what the equivalent scale dimensions they relate to and I can even give the measurements in metric measurements as well.

      Garth

      At 06:51 PM 01/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
      >Hi Everyone,
      >
      >I was wondering if anyone has worked out the scale dimension of Micro-Trains Flex Track? Is it really Z-scale in proportion or is it closer to Nn3 in tie spacing and width? Any news on the rumored turnout to go with the flex track?
      >
      >I'd also like to hear from owners of Micro-Trains Z-scale steam locomotives. Do you think they're worth the money? I have heard that the performance was not great, especially at low speed. Is it possible to retrofit the new 5 pole Marklin motor to this locomotive. Is there room in the tender (oil and or coal) for a DCC decoder.
      >
      >Kevin Walker
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700063576:N/A=567180/R=1/*http://www.domains.com>
      >www.

    • Kevin Walker

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
          Hi Garth,

          I'd be interested in seeing the equilalent dimensions compared to 4' 8 1/2" standard gauge prototype dimensions. I'd be interested in rail and tie dimensions, etc.

          Thanks,

          Kevin Walker

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
            Kevin,

            I would think it possible to swap the three pole motor with the five in the
            MTL mogul. The chassis of the modul is from Märklin and as long as the motor
            was not modified to work with the new chassis, the swap should be quite easy.

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com
          • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
              The last time I purchased a motor for the mogul it was actually a new chassis with the motor in place. This is because the motor worm is pressed onto the shaft on the other side of the main shaft/thrust bearing which is located in the chassis itself and so can not be replaced in the conventional manner. The 0-6-0 is the same way the rest of the steamers are different.

              Garth