Re: [z_scale] Re: Bridges (and scratch-building)

  • Scott A. Whitmire
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
      At 1/29/01 01:02 PM, you wrote:
      > > Takes all the fun out of it. My dad was a bridge designer before he
      > > went to work as an engineer for the phone company (cables and
      > > telephone poles), so from my view, half the fun of buildng a bridge
      >in
      > > the first place is getting the underneath girders, beams, and
      > > bracing right. Yeah, I agree you can't see it on the ballasted deck
      > > bridges, so I built only one of those. The other four are open deck
      > > to show off the steel work :-)
      >
      >I did think about building an open floor to give the roadbed some
      >variety. But I'm keeping it simple for now and following the "don't model
      >what you can't see" principle. It will be my first scratchbuilt structure,
      >and (I'll admit it) because I'd like to get the bridges in place a little
      >bit sooner so I can move on towards getting this layout functional. I
      >might revisit the bridge someday and replace the ballast with an open
      >deck, though for a real railroad I suppose this would be a step backwards.
      >:-) I'm building a "through" bridge where the plate girders are mostly
      >above the level of the rails, so the reinforced top plates and the
      >interior knee braces will provide some detail. Scott, do pinpoint-dabs of
      >CA glue work well as rivet heads?

      That's a pretty good strategy. My first bridge was a
      three-track, ballasted deck, through plate girder. I
      modeled the main beams and floor beams, but cheated
      on the cross bracing. You can see the underside of the
      bridge, so the beams were important.

      I don't have any rivets on my bridges; they're all welded. The
      BN, now BNSF, has lots of plate girder bridges that don't have
      rivets, especially on the angles on the outsides of the plate
      girders themselves. Still, if you want girders, a dab of paint
      should do the trick. It would be easier to apply the paint than CA.
      Applying it with the point of a pin is a good idea.

      I still have a number of bridges to build. Right now, the "bridges" are
      sheets of .040 styrene under the flex track. Works quite well, and
      provides more than enough support for the trains. One of these is
      long enough that I'm going to have to build a through truss bridge,
      since there is also inadequate clearance underneath for a good
      bridge floor system.

      >Cheers,
      >
      >Andy Hunting

      Scott Whitmire