Re: [z_scale] re- turnouts

  • Don Bouchard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
      Peter,
      The use of flexable molds have their place, turnouts should not be one of
      them in a production situations. Instead an injection mold could be produced
      that would produce very accurate parts(for less money than you would
      imagine). As far as soldering,I think your right, it is fine in very limited
      numbers or in very high production but in the numbers that would sell in Z
      scale I don't think it would be cost efficient.
      Don.
      >From: obin69@...
      >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [z_scale] re- turnouts
      >Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:26:25 -0000

      Techniques would include
      >flexible moulds and polyester type resins. The use of soldered
      >construction is too labour intensive to be viable.
      >
      >Peter

    • Peter Wright
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
        Thanks for your comments Don. I had considered injection moulding but its
        use would be dependant on possile demand. Is there sufficient demand out
        there to make it a feasible proposition?

        At the moment I am working on producing high quality hand -built turnouts
        and possibly cross-overs.

        Keep in touch.

        Pete

        >From: "Don Bouchard" <dgbouchard@...>
        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [z_scale] re- turnouts
        >Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:41:23 -0000
        >
        >Peter,
        > The use of flexable molds have their place, turnouts should not be one
        >of
        >them in a production situations. Instead an injection mold could be
        >produced
        >that would produce very accurate parts(for less money than you would
        >imagine). As far as soldering,I think your right, it is fine in very
        >limited
        >numbers or in very high production but in the numbers that would sell in Z
        >scale I don't think it would be cost efficient.
        >Don.
        > >From: obin69@...
        > >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [z_scale] re- turnouts
        > >Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:26:25 -0000
        > >
        >Techniques would include
        > >flexible moulds and polyester type resins. The use of soldered
        > >construction is too labour intensive to be viable.
        > >
        > >Peter

      • Don Bouchard
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          Hi Peter,
          A prototype injection mold for Z turn outs would cost between 1500 & 2500
          from someone like me that builds them on the side of their full time job,
          depending on the size of the mold base required. At this cost, it could take
          a while to recoup tooling costs. Add to this the cost of the production run
          and packaging/assembly and you would have a stiff initial investment. That
          said, I imagine that most of the Z scalers that have layouts would cough up
          a fare price for a turnout or cross over that demonstrated a high mark of
          reliability.
          Don.
          Rantings from the Pacific NorthWest.