Re: MTL GP35

  • www.zscalemonster.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
      Tim,

      Unless you want to, I will put a poll out in a few minutes. I, as
      much as any of you, would like to know the answer to our most
      popular Z road name.
      The saddest part is going to be waiting for YOUR own road name to
      come up for production. I know how road name envy feels!

      I don't know... but I think UP is out because they are charging to
      use their name (last I knew).

      Anthony
      http://www.zscalemonster.com/

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
        I think Tim will be right. The price will likely be around $200.00. I hope I
        am wrong, but problem is the cost of the motor. The 8mm motors, being from
        Maxom or Faulhauber are expensive. AZL is working hard to keep the SD70 is the
        $225.00 price range when it is released. A lot can change between now and then
        including dollar fluctuations, but that is the goal. For the F59PHIs, AZL used
        a 10mm Mabuchi motor. This was less expensive than a Faulhauber which allowed
        the price to be lower. Fortunately, the Mabuchi is a great motor I personally
        like it better than the 10mm Faulhauber. But again, the problem is the 8mm
        motors and below.

        I can't wait to see what roadname will be the first to grace the GP35. ATSF
        is a good guess. Then again, there are so many roadnames to choose from!

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • www.zscalemonster.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
          I have created the poll.
          We will now vote and wait to see who is the #1 road name. I am sure
          it is too late for Micro-Trains to do anything with their first few
          runs but maybe it will help in the near future. Be sure to vote and
          check back often.
          If I missed anyone's roadname, you have my heart felt apologies but
          there were no more slots left in the survey.

          Anthony
          http://www.zscalemonster.com/

          > Perhaps a Poll of road name paint schemes should be taken? We can
          > help them in their research! If their is a higher demand for this
          > as opposed to that, should influence their choice in road names.
          > Just a thought!
          > Tim
        • loren snyder
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
            > Tim,
            >
            > Unless you want to, I will put a poll out in a few minutes. I, as
            > much as any of you, would like to know the answer to our most
            > popular Z road name.
            > The saddest part is going to be waiting for YOUR own road name to
            > come up for production. I know how road name envy feels!
            >
            > I don't know... but I think UP is out because they are charging to
            > use their name (last I knew).
            >
            > x Tim, I believe?--- I heard that MTL may come out
            with UP again, albeit, likely more money becasue of royalties.
            Don't really know for sure and I don't want to start a rumor. Would
            be nice though. Loren
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
              I have heard nothing
              > regarding price,
              > except it will
              > > be more than the F-7. I'm betting not more than
              > $30.00 more.
              > Hope this
              > > is one bet I win !! What say the rest of you?
              >
              > Loren, I hope you are right in your guess, but I
              > doubt we will be so
              > lucky. I think MTL will take advantage of our (the
              > Z community)
              > hunger for MORE "Z", and will place a nice price tag
              > on the new,
              > greatly desired, fresh off the presses, GP35. My
              > guess, $200
              > plus/minus $50. My guestimation is based on it's a
              > new design, many
              > people want a new MTL loco, and the comparative
              > prices of AZL &
              > Marklin loco's.

              Guys, I remember that at the begginning, when it was
              just question about a possible MTL GP 35, spoken price
              was around $150 or so. On the same way I've heard that
              the forecoming AZL SD70/75 should be in the $220 / 250
              range.

              Dominique

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                > Perhaps a Poll of road name paint schemes should be
                > taken? We can
                > help them in their research! If their is a higher
                > demand for this
                > as opposed to that, should influence their choice in
                > road names.
                > Just a thought!
                > Tim

                OK, for me ATSF and SP please!

                Dominique

              • Al Lautenslager
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                  Just completed installing decoders in 6 new MTL GP35s. Using the
                  DZ123MO decoders. I elected to install the decoder upside down and
                  change the CVs. It took all of 10 minutes per loco.

                  One of the locos would only run about half speed with the decoder so I
                  removed it and put the DC board back in and ran it on DC. Appears to
                  run fine with a good speed. I then put in another decoder and it will
                  not get any top speed. I thought it was the decoder but I had 4 more
                  new in the package doing the same thing.

                  Any ideas?

                  Thank you
                  Al
                • jeffcrist2002
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                    It may not help, but have you tried with a normal installation.
                    There is a capacitor near the one of the post when you install it
                    backwards. I kept getting a short when I installed it backwards.
                    Even when I make sure the post was not touching any metal parts. so
                    I change it back to normal installation. Test the normal
                    installation, and see what happens. Also, dcc locos run differently
                    then dc locos. I also have GP35 that runs a lot faster then others,
                    but it was like that on dc.

                    John

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Al Lautenslager"
                    <a.lautenslager@...> wrote:

                    > Just completed installing decoders in 6 new MTL GP35s. Using the
                    > DZ123MO decoders. I elected to install the decoder upside down and
                    > change the CVs. It took all of 10 minutes per loco.
                    >
                    > One of the locos would only run about half speed with the decoder
                    so I
                    > removed it and put the DC board back in and ran it on DC. Appears
                    > run fine with a good speed. I then put in another decoder and it
                    will
                    > not get any top speed. I thought it was the decoder but I had 4
                    more
                    > new in the package doing the same thing.
                    >
                    > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Thank you
                    > Al

                  • Al Lautenslager
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcrist2002" <jmui@...> wrote:
                      John,
                      I tried the normal install also and got the same results. It appears
                      to be within the motor itelf. Very odd. I will send it off to MT.
                      Thanks for the advice.
                      Al

                      > It may not help, but have you tried with a normal installation.
                      > There is a capacitor near the one of the post when you install it
                      > backwards. I kept getting a short when I installed it backwards.
                      > Even when I make sure the post was not touching any metal parts. so
                      > I change it back to normal installation. Test the normal
                      > installation, and see what happens. Also, dcc locos run differently
                      > then dc locos. I also have GP35 that runs a lot faster then others,
                      > but it was like that on dc.
                      >
                      > John
                      >

                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Al Lautenslager"
                      > <a.lautenslager@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Just completed installing decoders in 6 new MTL GP35s. Using the
                      > > DZ123MO decoders. I elected to install the decoder upside down
                      and
                      > > change the CVs. It took all of 10 minutes per loco.
                      > >
                      > > One of the locos would only run about half speed with the decoder
                      > so I
                      > > removed it and put the DC board back in and ran it on DC. Appears
                      > > run fine with a good speed. I then put in another decoder and it
                      > will
                      > > not get any top speed. I thought it was the decoder but I had 4
                      > more
                      > > new in the package doing the same thing.
                      > >
                      > > Any ideas?
                      > >
                      > > Thank you
                      > > Al

                    • John Mui
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                        Al, I find dcc a little bit strange. Now my SD70 runs a lot faster then dc
                        without overheating, but my F59 runs a lot slower. Robert Ray told me is
                        because the F59 has a 10v motor. What I tried to do is match engines with
                        the same speed, and in some cases, I use the speed table.

                        John
                        > I tried the normal install also and got the same results. It appears
                        > to be within the motor itelf. Very odd. I will send it off to MT.
                        > Thanks for the advice.
                        > Al
                        >>
                        >> It may not help, but have you tried with a normal installation.
                        >> There is a capacitor near the one of the post when you install it
                        >> backwards. I kept getting a short when I installed it backwards.
                        >> Even when I make sure the post was not touching any metal parts. so
                        >> I change it back to normal installation. Test the normal
                        >> installation, and see what happens. Also, dcc locos run differently
                        >> then dc locos. I also have GP35 that runs a lot faster then others,
                        >> but it was like that on dc.
                        >>
                        >> John
                        >>

                        >> --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Al Lautenslager"
                        >> <a.lautenslager@> wrote:
                        >> >
                        >> > Just completed installing decoders in 6 new MTL GP35s. Using the
                        >> > DZ123MO decoders. I elected to install the decoder upside down
                        > and
                        >> > change the CVs. It took all of 10 minutes per loco.
                        >> >
                        >> > One of the locos would only run about half speed with the decoder
                        >> so I
                        >> > removed it and put the DC board back in and ran it on DC. Appears
                        >> > run fine with a good speed. I then put in another decoder and it
                        >> will
                        >> > not get any top speed. I thought it was the decoder but I had 4
                        >> more
                        >> > new in the package doing the same thing.
                        >> >
                        >> > Any ideas?
                        >> >
                        >> > Thank you
                        >> > Al

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Al Lautenslager
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Mui" <jmui@...> wrote:
                          John,
                          yes different motors and gearing will yeild different results and
                          with DCC you canmake the required adjustments to match up different
                          locomotives however in this case the locos, gearing and motors are
                          the same along with the decoders used. I have removed the motor from
                          the offending loco and put it on my bench hooking up the decoder
                          directly. It runs slow with any of 4 decoders. I then removed the
                          motor from one of my other GP35s and hooked it up directly. That
                          motor runs faster using the same settings! Something in the motor. I
                          will get another from MT. Thanks for all your inputs. I am new to the
                          world of Z scale and having a very good time with these little guys!
                          Al

                          > Al, I find dcc a little bit strange. Now my SD70 runs a lot faster
                          then dc
                          > without overheating, but my F59 runs a lot slower. Robert Ray told
                          me is
                          > because the F59 has a 10v motor. What I tried to do is match
                          engines with
                          > the same speed, and in some cases, I use the speed table.
                          >
                          > John

                        • Robert Ray
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                            John Mui wrote:
                            >I find dcc a little bit strange. Now my SD70 runs a lot faster then
                            dc without overheating, but my F59 runs a lot slower.

                            DCC is strange in Z. In N Scale I used DCC for 8 years, and speed
                            matching was easy, also, I could use different decoder brands in the
                            same loco models, and get similar speeds.

                            In Z Scale I have noticed that using different decoders in the same
                            loco model gets completely, and sometimes even, unmatchable speed
                            profiles.

                            An example is the GP 35. I have installed NCE, DZ123, DZ123MO, DZ143,
                            and Lenz Gold Mini's in them. They all run differently, and don't MU
                            the best. If you use a DZ123 equipt loco with a Lenz Gold Mini equipt,
                            the Lenz will run super slow, and the Digitrax equipt will run way too
                            fast. Yes, you can dink with speed tables, but I have found a flaw
                            with that method even.

                            When I speed match at home with my NCE system, and the speed profiles
                            look good and matched, then I take the loco set to the shows, and run
                            with Jeff's NCE system, they are no longer speed matched, because
                            Jeff's NCS system runs at a slightly different voltage than mine, and
                            that throws the speed matching right out the window.

                            Why you ask? I suspect it's because an N Scale loco draws 100ma+
                            without load, and a GP35 draws ~35ma without load. It is 3 times more
                            sensitive in this case, than the N Scale locos. Current draws vary,
                            but Z Scale locos draw much less than N or HO, so they are more
                            sensitive than larger scale locos to voltage differences.

                            Things that make you go Hmmm!

                            -Robert
                          • robertfage@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 19, 2007
                              I found removing the post (snipping it down) removed the risk. they are such
                              a tight fit that once the board is installed (upside down) they do not
                              move... I lost one chip I think by touching this post.. after that all of the ones
                              I put in upside down had the post snipped.
                              I also found that the locos run slower, but I am happy with that as they are
                              no greyhounds speeding around the layout. Bob Fage (in the UK) Robert...
                              what chip should I use for the AZl SD70 locos? I am using the digitrax
                              command system?

                              Bob Fage (in the UK)

                            • John Mui
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 19, 2007
                                Robert, I follow Robert Rays instructions, and installed a Uhlebrock 73400
                                into the SD70. Just becareful, and dont follow the AZL instruction on where
                                to wire the decoder. Here is the link on how to.
                                http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=83694

                                John
                                >I found removing the post (snipping it down) removed the risk. they are
                                >such
                                > a tight fit that once the board is installed (upside down) they do not
                                > move... I lost one chip I think by touching this post.. after that all of
                                > the ones
                                > I put in upside down had the post snipped.
                                > I also found that the locos run slower, but I am happy with that as they
                                > are
                                > no greyhounds speeding around the layout. Bob Fage (in the UK)
                                > Robert...
                                > what chip should I use for the AZl SD70 locos? I am using the digitrax
                                > command system?
                                >
                                > Bob Fage (in the UK)

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Al Lautenslager
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 27, 2007
                                  Any ideas as to what would cause an MTL GP35 to run slow? I have one
                                  that has a DCC deocer in it and it ran fine with plenty of speed. I put
                                  it away in the box and just today pulled it out, cleaned the track and
                                  now cannot get hardly any speed out of it. Thought perhaps it was the
                                  decoder so I reset it back to the factory defaults. No change. Any
                                  thoughts.
                                  Thank you - Al
                                • John Mui
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 27, 2007
                                    Al, my first suggestion is to give it a little oil to losen it up. My second
                                    suggestion is to take the truck out to see if there is anything binding it,
                                    and did you program the yard mode into the GP35?

                                    John
                                    > Any ideas as to what would cause an MTL GP35 to run slow? I have one
                                    > that has a DCC deocer in it and it ran fine with plenty of speed. I put
                                    > it away in the box and just today pulled it out, cleaned the track and
                                    > now cannot get hardly any speed out of it. Thought perhaps it was the
                                    > decoder so I reset it back to the factory defaults. No change. Any
                                    > thoughts.
                                    > Thank you - Al

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Al Lautenslager
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 27, 2007
                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Mui" <jmui@...> wrote:
                                      John,
                                      I hesitate in lubing it as it is somewhat new. Less then an hour of
                                      running. Trucks are free and no Yard/switching mode is being used.
                                      Its not the system as I have 14 others that run just fine! Yes I like
                                      GP35s! I sure hope the motor is not going out. Thanks for your input!
                                      Al

                                      > Al, my first suggestion is to give it a little oil to losen it up.
                                      My second
                                      > suggestion is to take the truck out to see if there is anything
                                      binding it,
                                      > and did you program the yard mode into the GP35?
                                      >
                                      > John

                                    • John Mui
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 27, 2007
                                        Al, the only other thing I can suggest is switch the decoder. You want to
                                        see wether the decoder is bad, or the engine is bad.

                                        John
                                        > I hesitate in lubing it as it is somewhat new. Less then an hour of
                                        > running. Trucks are free and no Yard/switching mode is being used.
                                        > Its not the system as I have 14 others that run just fine! Yes I like
                                        > GP35s! I sure hope the motor is not going out. Thanks for your input!
                                        > Al
                                        >>
                                        >> Al, my first suggestion is to give it a little oil to losen it up.
                                        > My second
                                        >> suggestion is to take the truck out to see if there is anything
                                        > binding it,
                                        >> and did you program the yard mode into the GP35?
                                        >>
                                        >> John

                                      • Michael Hilliard
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 28, 2007
                                          Hello,

                                          Recently at a Tri State Z Scalers meet, we discovered what sounds like a similar problem with recent releases of the MTL GP35, Conrail in particular. It looks like MTL changed their assembly method by now heat welding the walkways to the rest of the body rather than how they used to do it by simple snap fitting them. I have no idea why they made this change and it looks sloppy as well. Anyway, after completely dissasembling 2 of the problem locomotives, which the shells were difficult to remove from the chassies, I discovered the heat welding produces some "flash" which is then painted over before they put the shells on. This flash (thin flakes of plastic and paint) had flaked off and some got into the gears causing them to run noticeable slower and the power pack had to be turned up much higher than usual to achieve any speed.

                                          The solution was to clean the mechanizum thoughly and then reassemble the chassie and re-oil. Next was to scrape/cut the excess flash from the innner part of the body, being sure to blow away the cut flashing. Now the bodies fit well on the chassie and can be easily removed like the previous runs that the heat welding was not used in the assemly process. The exterior part of the body was unaffected by the scraping/cutting.

                                          The end result was a happy member with nice running GP35s that still look factory new. A couple other members had loco's with the same problem, but they chose to return them. I don't know if this is your problem Al, but worth checking out IMHO. BTW, these GP35's did not have decoders installed.

                                          LMK if this helps and anyone else that may have noticed this problem. I hope MTL discontinues this heat welding process. Bezt regards.

                                          Michael Hilliard
                                          Wilton, CT USA
                                          Tri State Z Scaler (NY, NJ, & CT)

                                          John Mui <jmui@...> wrote:
                                          Al, the only other thing I can suggest is switch the decoder. You want to
                                          see wether the decoder is bad, or the engine is bad.

                                          John
                                          > I hesitate in lubing it as it is somewhat new. Less then an hour of
                                          > running. Trucks are free and no Yard/switching mode is being used.
                                          > Its not the system as I have 14 others that run just fine! Yes I like
                                          > GP35s! I sure hope the motor is not going out. Thanks for your input!
                                          > Al
                                          >>
                                          >> Al, my first suggestion is to give it a little oil to losen it up.
                                          > My second
                                          >> suggestion is to take the truck out to see if there is anything
                                          > binding it,
                                          >> and did you program the yard mode into the GP35?
                                          >>
                                          >> John

                                        • Al Lautenslager
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 28, 2007
                                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...>
                                            wrote:
                                            Mike,
                                            Thanks for the input. I will check it out for sure. Sure do not ant
                                            to tear down the trucks. May try using my ultrasonic cleaner first.
                                            Thanks again,
                                            Al