Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Does anyone have any experience with Proxxon Rotary Tool? (As opposed to Dremel)

  • Thomas P. Scheuzger
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
      LOL... Yeah, they do supply dentists with one of their models...

      Tom

      On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 02:23PM, ray <rayray@...> wrote:

      >Tom,
      >I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
      >nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
      >going to the dentist chills :)
      >
      >-Ray
      >www.conrailray.com
      >

      >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
      ><tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
      >> Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
      >>
      >> http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
      >>
      >> Tom
      >>

      >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Arie Knoops
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
        Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

        http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

        Tom

        I agree with Tom on the Foredom, I use one at work whenever I'm making a
        mount for a piece of art. We have one at the museum that is at least 15
        years old and still going.
        Arie
      • Peter Ibbotson
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
            Apparently the once great Dremel company is failing miserably in
            product quality. I have a Dremel and I dislike it. I am glad this
            post came when it did for I am looking for a new rotary tool.
            Thanks!
            Tim
          • Don
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
              Years ago my dad tried to get a Dremel repaired by Dremel. They said in
              order to keep costs low, it was not made to be taken apart and repaired.
              They suggested he buy a new one. He did but different brand.

              Don

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

                > I have a Dremel and I dislike it.

                Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                doing very well what they're intented to do.
                I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                the long run, and the design shows all the
                benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                impressed with the performance and balance
                of it. I'll get one...

                Lajos
              • Jeremy Brandon
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                  > One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                  > matches the drill is?

                  I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                  and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                  the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                  have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                  chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                  tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                  use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                  the Proxxon.

                  expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                  Jeremy.
                • Peter Ibbotson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                    >> One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                    >> matches the drill is?
                    >
                    > I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                    > and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                    > the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                    > have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                    > chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                    > tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                    > use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                    > the Proxxon.

                    > expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                    PCB drilling was one use I was thinking of for a drill stand, I don't do it
                    at the moment but it is something I might do in the future. One thing I
                    might use a routing type tool for is cutting cases to put electronics into.
                    I really must do some more investigation, perhaps keep an eye out for a show
                    somewhere where folks are demonstrating.
                    --
                    Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                    Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                  • pray59_3
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                      I had a Dremel brand once. bought new 15 years ago. Within 6 months
                      it developed a mind ov it's own, turning itself on randomly when you
                      set it on a table, or after turning it off. I lived with it's danger
                      for a while.

                      I bought a Ryobi model 20 version about 10 years ago, and it has been
                      the most comfortable, balanced, and useful rotary tool I ever owned.
                      When Ryobi discontinued them 2 years ago, I searched out another new
                      one, to keep as a spare. I use it more than 10 times a week, and is
                      still going strong, but I have a spare.

                      I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                      duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                      kits. It's great, but I still use my Ryobi for heavier stuff like DCC
                      installs, andtrack laying tasks.

                      -Robert
                    • John Duino
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2005
                        My 15 year old Dremel (well, Craftsman, but made by Dremel) recently
                        'stopped spinning' although the motor was still whirring away. Two minutes
                        with a screwdriver revealed the little flex coupling had weakened and slid
                        off it's spurs. I jumped on Sear's website. There I found a nice exploded
                        drawing with part numbers and 15 minutes later I had 2 parts on order for
                        like $10 including shipping. Considering all tha I have done with (or
                        rather, to) this tool, I can't say I'm upset with it at all.

                        And my dad's dremel is now closer to 40 years old and still purring along.

                        I also now own their new cordless lithium model for about a year. Good
                        charge, good power, smoooooth running and very well balanced in the
                        hand...probably more so than my corded model.

                        I have no qualms recommending Dremel and do so regularly.

                        Just my view of the world.

                        John

                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I have a Dremel and I dislike it.
                        >
                        > Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                        > I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                        > doing very well what they're intented to do.
                        > I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                        > purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                        > not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                        > the long run, and the design shows all the
                        > benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                        > released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                        > impressed with the performance and balance
                        > of it. I'll get one...
                        >
                        > Lajos
                      • pbartonluttenton
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                          What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made by
                          the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                          does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                          name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                          -> I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                          > duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                          > kits.
                          > -Robert
                        • pray59_3
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                            pbartonluttentonwrote:

                            > What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made
                            by
                            > the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                            > does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                            > name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                            The nail drill I mentioned looks exactly like a regular variable
                            speed Dremel, but is about 60% smaller, with slower speeds, and less
                            power. It's nearly a scaled down replica, but mine has a label that
                            says Pro Tool. They are designed for manicure use, but are very
                            usefull for building Z Scale models. Drilling grab iron holes,
                            sanding details, burrs, and milling away plastic for coupler mounting
                            makes this too very usefull to me. The best part is the "Pencil Grip"
                            position I can hold it in, while doing the job. You still need a
                            powerful Dremel type tool for the really heavy duty jobs like milling
                            out shells for decoder installation, etc.

                            -Robert