Re: Does anyone have any experience with Proxxon Rotary Tool? (As opposed to Dremel)

  • ray
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
      Michael,
      I bought one of the smaller table saws from Proxxon and its really
      great!! Not sure about there rotary tools tho as I have never used
      one. I ended up getting a minicraft MB150 Hobby Torque Drill rotary
      tool. Its really small and easy to use (I believe Proxxon has a
      similiar version), and my friend has had one for atleast 5 years, and
      we beat the heck out of it (cutting G scale brass 332 code rail which
      is about 3/8in tall and 1/4 wide). This type is really small and
      easy to hold as the power transformer is in a separate unit.

      Here's one of the first sites that came back with a goole search that
      has both products. I think I bought mine from here as well a few
      years ago.

      Rotary Tools:
      http://www.minicrafttools.com/drills.html

      Transformers:
      http://www.minicrafttools.com/transformers.html

      So thats another option for ya!

      -Ray
      www.conrailray.com

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, miked_r@y... wrote:

      > I was speaking with some of my co-workers at lunch who are both
      > model-railroad enthusiasts (HO x 2) and wood workers (x 1), and
      asked

      > brand he's been using called Proxxon. Apparently they are German and
      > around for about 25 years.
    • Thomas P. Scheuzger
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
        Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

        http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

        Tom

        On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 01:11PM, Trains <trains@...> wrote:

        >I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
        >praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
        >only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
        >adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
        >bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.
        >
        >The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de
        >
        >Tapani Tuominen
        >trains@...

      • ray
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
          Tom,
          I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
          nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
          going to the dentist chills :)

          -Ray
          www.conrailray.com

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
          <tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
          > Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
          >
          > http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
          >
          > Tom

        • Thomas P. Scheuzger
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
            LOL... Yeah, they do supply dentists with one of their models...

            Tom

            On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 02:23PM, ray <rayray@...> wrote:

            >Tom,
            >I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
            >nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
            >going to the dentist chills :)
            >
            >-Ray
            >www.conrailray.com
            >

            >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
            ><tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
            >> Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
            >>
            >> http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
            >>
            >> Tom
            >>

            >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Arie Knoops
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
              Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

              http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

              Tom

              I agree with Tom on the Foredom, I use one at work whenever I'm making a
              mount for a piece of art. We have one at the museum that is at least 15
              years old and still going.
              Arie
            • Peter Ibbotson
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                > I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
                > praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
                > only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
                > adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
                > bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.
                >
                > The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de
                >
                > Tapani Tuominen
                > trains@...

                Oh dear... At least on their retailers is close to me. I am now wondering
                about some of their stuff for my next birthday present.
                One big question is just how good the little bench stand that matches the
                drill is?
                My dremel clone that I bought isn't very good and I'm looking for a
                replacement.

                --
                Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Apparently the once great Dremel company is failing miserably in
                  product quality. I have a Dremel and I dislike it. I am glad this
                  post came when it did for I am looking for a new rotary tool.
                  Thanks!
                  Tim
                • Don
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Years ago my dad tried to get a Dremel repaired by Dremel. They said in
                    order to keep costs low, it was not made to be taken apart and repaired.
                    They suggested he buy a new one. He did but different brand.

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

                      > I have a Dremel and I dislike it.

                      Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                      I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                      doing very well what they're intented to do.
                      I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                      purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                      not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                      the long run, and the design shows all the
                      benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                      released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                      impressed with the performance and balance
                      of it. I'll get one...

                      Lajos
                    • Jeremy Brandon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                        > One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                        > matches the drill is?

                        I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                        and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                        the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                        have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                        chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                        tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                        use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                        the Proxxon.

                        expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                        Jeremy.
                      • Peter Ibbotson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                          >> One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                          >> matches the drill is?
                          >
                          > I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                          > and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                          > the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                          > have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                          > chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                          > tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                          > use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                          > the Proxxon.

                          > expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                          PCB drilling was one use I was thinking of for a drill stand, I don't do it
                          at the moment but it is something I might do in the future. One thing I
                          might use a routing type tool for is cutting cases to put electronics into.
                          I really must do some more investigation, perhaps keep an eye out for a show
                          somewhere where folks are demonstrating.
                          --
                          Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                          Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                        • pray59_3
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                            I had a Dremel brand once. bought new 15 years ago. Within 6 months
                            it developed a mind ov it's own, turning itself on randomly when you
                            set it on a table, or after turning it off. I lived with it's danger
                            for a while.

                            I bought a Ryobi model 20 version about 10 years ago, and it has been
                            the most comfortable, balanced, and useful rotary tool I ever owned.
                            When Ryobi discontinued them 2 years ago, I searched out another new
                            one, to keep as a spare. I use it more than 10 times a week, and is
                            still going strong, but I have a spare.

                            I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                            duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                            kits. It's great, but I still use my Ryobi for heavier stuff like DCC
                            installs, andtrack laying tasks.

                            -Robert
                          • John Duino
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 3, 2005
                              My 15 year old Dremel (well, Craftsman, but made by Dremel) recently
                              'stopped spinning' although the motor was still whirring away. Two minutes
                              with a screwdriver revealed the little flex coupling had weakened and slid
                              off it's spurs. I jumped on Sear's website. There I found a nice exploded
                              drawing with part numbers and 15 minutes later I had 2 parts on order for
                              like $10 including shipping. Considering all tha I have done with (or
                              rather, to) this tool, I can't say I'm upset with it at all.

                              And my dad's dremel is now closer to 40 years old and still purring along.

                              I also now own their new cordless lithium model for about a year. Good
                              charge, good power, smoooooth running and very well balanced in the
                              hand...probably more so than my corded model.

                              I have no qualms recommending Dremel and do so regularly.

                              Just my view of the world.

                              John

                              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> I have a Dremel and I dislike it.
                              >
                              > Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                              > I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                              > doing very well what they're intented to do.
                              > I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                              > purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                              > not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                              > the long run, and the design shows all the
                              > benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                              > released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                              > impressed with the performance and balance
                              > of it. I'll get one...
                              >
                              > Lajos
                            • pbartonluttenton
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                                What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made by
                                the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                                does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                                name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                                -> I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                                > duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                                > kits.
                                > -Robert
                              • pray59_3
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                                  pbartonluttentonwrote:

                                  > What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made
                                  by
                                  > the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                                  > does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                                  > name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                                  The nail drill I mentioned looks exactly like a regular variable
                                  speed Dremel, but is about 60% smaller, with slower speeds, and less
                                  power. It's nearly a scaled down replica, but mine has a label that
                                  says Pro Tool. They are designed for manicure use, but are very
                                  usefull for building Z Scale models. Drilling grab iron holes,
                                  sanding details, burrs, and milling away plastic for coupler mounting
                                  makes this too very usefull to me. The best part is the "Pencil Grip"
                                  position I can hold it in, while doing the job. You still need a
                                  powerful Dremel type tool for the really heavy duty jobs like milling
                                  out shells for decoder installation, etc.

                                  -Robert