RE: [Z_Scale] Does anyone have any experience with Proxxon Rotary Tool? (As opposed to Dremel)

  • Trains
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
      I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
      praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
      only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
      adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
      bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.

      The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de

      Tapani Tuominen
      trains@...

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
        Michael,
        I bought one of the smaller table saws from Proxxon and its really
        great!! Not sure about there rotary tools tho as I have never used
        one. I ended up getting a minicraft MB150 Hobby Torque Drill rotary
        tool. Its really small and easy to use (I believe Proxxon has a
        similiar version), and my friend has had one for atleast 5 years, and
        we beat the heck out of it (cutting G scale brass 332 code rail which
        is about 3/8in tall and 1/4 wide). This type is really small and
        easy to hold as the power transformer is in a separate unit.

        Here's one of the first sites that came back with a goole search that
        has both products. I think I bought mine from here as well a few
        years ago.

        Rotary Tools:
        http://www.minicrafttools.com/drills.html

        Transformers:
        http://www.minicrafttools.com/transformers.html

        So thats another option for ya!

        -Ray
        www.conrailray.com

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, miked_r@y... wrote:

        > I was speaking with some of my co-workers at lunch who are both
        > model-railroad enthusiasts (HO x 2) and wood workers (x 1), and
        asked

        > brand he's been using called Proxxon. Apparently they are German and
        > around for about 25 years.
      • Thomas P. Scheuzger
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
          Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

          http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

          Tom

          On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 01:11PM, Trains <trains@...> wrote:

          >I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
          >praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
          >only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
          >adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
          >bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.
          >
          >The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de
          >
          >Tapani Tuominen
          >trains@...

        • ray
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
            Tom,
            I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
            nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
            going to the dentist chills :)

            -Ray
            www.conrailray.com

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
            <tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
            > Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
            >
            > http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
            >
            > Tom

          • Thomas P. Scheuzger
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
              LOL... Yeah, they do supply dentists with one of their models...

              Tom

              On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 02:23PM, ray <rayray@...> wrote:

              >Tom,
              >I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
              >nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
              >going to the dentist chills :)
              >
              >-Ray
              >www.conrailray.com
              >

              >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
              ><tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
              >> Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
              >>
              >> http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
              >>
              >> Tom
              >>

              >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Arie Knoops
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
                Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

                http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

                Tom

                I agree with Tom on the Foredom, I use one at work whenever I'm making a
                mount for a piece of art. We have one at the museum that is at least 15
                years old and still going.
                Arie
              • Peter Ibbotson
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                  > I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
                  > praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
                  > only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
                  > adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
                  > bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.
                  >
                  > The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de
                  >
                  > Tapani Tuominen
                  > trains@...

                  Oh dear... At least on their retailers is close to me. I am now wondering
                  about some of their stuff for my next birthday present.
                  One big question is just how good the little bench stand that matches the
                  drill is?
                  My dremel clone that I bought isn't very good and I'm looking for a
                  replacement.

                  --
                  Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                  Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Apparently the once great Dremel company is failing miserably in
                    product quality. I have a Dremel and I dislike it. I am glad this
                    post came when it did for I am looking for a new rotary tool.
                    Thanks!
                    Tim
                  • Don
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Years ago my dad tried to get a Dremel repaired by Dremel. They said in
                      order to keep costs low, it was not made to be taken apart and repaired.
                      They suggested he buy a new one. He did but different brand.

                      Don

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

                        > I have a Dremel and I dislike it.

                        Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                        I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                        doing very well what they're intented to do.
                        I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                        purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                        not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                        the long run, and the design shows all the
                        benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                        released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                        impressed with the performance and balance
                        of it. I'll get one...

                        Lajos
                      • Jeremy Brandon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                          > One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                          > matches the drill is?

                          I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                          and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                          the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                          have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                          chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                          tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                          use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                          the Proxxon.

                          expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                          Jeremy.
                        • Peter Ibbotson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                            >> One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                            >> matches the drill is?
                            >
                            > I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                            > and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                            > the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                            > have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                            > chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                            > tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                            > use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                            > the Proxxon.

                            > expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                            PCB drilling was one use I was thinking of for a drill stand, I don't do it
                            at the moment but it is something I might do in the future. One thing I
                            might use a routing type tool for is cutting cases to put electronics into.
                            I really must do some more investigation, perhaps keep an eye out for a show
                            somewhere where folks are demonstrating.
                            --
                            Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                            Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                          • pray59_3
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                              I had a Dremel brand once. bought new 15 years ago. Within 6 months
                              it developed a mind ov it's own, turning itself on randomly when you
                              set it on a table, or after turning it off. I lived with it's danger
                              for a while.

                              I bought a Ryobi model 20 version about 10 years ago, and it has been
                              the most comfortable, balanced, and useful rotary tool I ever owned.
                              When Ryobi discontinued them 2 years ago, I searched out another new
                              one, to keep as a spare. I use it more than 10 times a week, and is
                              still going strong, but I have a spare.

                              I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                              duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                              kits. It's great, but I still use my Ryobi for heavier stuff like DCC
                              installs, andtrack laying tasks.

                              -Robert
                            • John Duino
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3, 2005
                                My 15 year old Dremel (well, Craftsman, but made by Dremel) recently
                                'stopped spinning' although the motor was still whirring away. Two minutes
                                with a screwdriver revealed the little flex coupling had weakened and slid
                                off it's spurs. I jumped on Sear's website. There I found a nice exploded
                                drawing with part numbers and 15 minutes later I had 2 parts on order for
                                like $10 including shipping. Considering all tha I have done with (or
                                rather, to) this tool, I can't say I'm upset with it at all.

                                And my dad's dremel is now closer to 40 years old and still purring along.

                                I also now own their new cordless lithium model for about a year. Good
                                charge, good power, smoooooth running and very well balanced in the
                                hand...probably more so than my corded model.

                                I have no qualms recommending Dremel and do so regularly.

                                Just my view of the world.

                                John

                                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> I have a Dremel and I dislike it.
                                >
                                > Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                                > I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                                > doing very well what they're intented to do.
                                > I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                                > purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                                > not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                                > the long run, and the design shows all the
                                > benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                                > released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                                > impressed with the performance and balance
                                > of it. I'll get one...
                                >
                                > Lajos
                              • pbartonluttenton
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                                  What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made by
                                  the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                                  does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                                  name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                                  -> I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                                  > duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                                  > kits.
                                  > -Robert
                                • pray59_3
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                                    pbartonluttentonwrote:

                                    > What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made
                                    by
                                    > the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                                    > does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                                    > name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                                    The nail drill I mentioned looks exactly like a regular variable
                                    speed Dremel, but is about 60% smaller, with slower speeds, and less
                                    power. It's nearly a scaled down replica, but mine has a label that
                                    says Pro Tool. They are designed for manicure use, but are very
                                    usefull for building Z Scale models. Drilling grab iron holes,
                                    sanding details, burrs, and milling away plastic for coupler mounting
                                    makes this too very usefull to me. The best part is the "Pencil Grip"
                                    position I can hold it in, while doing the job. You still need a
                                    powerful Dremel type tool for the really heavy duty jobs like milling
                                    out shells for decoder installation, etc.

                                    -Robert