Does anyone have any experience with Proxxon Rotary Tool? (As opposed to Dremel)

  • miked_r@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
      I was speaking with some of my co-workers at lunch who are both
      model-railroad enthusiasts (HO x 2) and wood workers (x 1), and asked
      for their advice on Dremel's (as I had to this list).

      One guy, the woodworker, said he stopped using recent Dremels because
      they had been ceasing on him, and he only uses them on occasion. (He's
      meticulous at handling and caring for his tools). He recommended a new
      brand he's been using called Proxxon. Apparently they are German and
      around for about 25 years.

      Some of his collets work with some of his dremel accessories, but
      overall he's been really satisfied with the Proxxon.

      Anyone have any experience with this brand?

      Thanks!

      Michael
    • Trains
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
        I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
        praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
        only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
        adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
        bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.

        The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de

        Tapani Tuominen
        trains@...

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
          Michael,
          I bought one of the smaller table saws from Proxxon and its really
          great!! Not sure about there rotary tools tho as I have never used
          one. I ended up getting a minicraft MB150 Hobby Torque Drill rotary
          tool. Its really small and easy to use (I believe Proxxon has a
          similiar version), and my friend has had one for atleast 5 years, and
          we beat the heck out of it (cutting G scale brass 332 code rail which
          is about 3/8in tall and 1/4 wide). This type is really small and
          easy to hold as the power transformer is in a separate unit.

          Here's one of the first sites that came back with a goole search that
          has both products. I think I bought mine from here as well a few
          years ago.

          Rotary Tools:
          http://www.minicrafttools.com/drills.html

          Transformers:
          http://www.minicrafttools.com/transformers.html

          So thats another option for ya!

          -Ray
          www.conrailray.com

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, miked_r@y... wrote:

          > I was speaking with some of my co-workers at lunch who are both
          > model-railroad enthusiasts (HO x 2) and wood workers (x 1), and
          asked

          > brand he's been using called Proxxon. Apparently they are German and
          > around for about 25 years.
        • Thomas P. Scheuzger
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
            Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

            http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

            Tom

            On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 01:11PM, Trains <trains@...> wrote:

            >I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
            >praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
            >only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
            >adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
            >bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.
            >
            >The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de
            >
            >Tapani Tuominen
            >trains@...

          • ray
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
              Tom,
              I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
              nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
              going to the dentist chills :)

              -Ray
              www.conrailray.com

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
              <tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
              > Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
              >
              > http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
              >
              > Tom

            • Thomas P. Scheuzger
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
                LOL... Yeah, they do supply dentists with one of their models...

                Tom

                On Tuesday, February 01, 2005, at 02:23PM, ray <rayray@...> wrote:

                >Tom,
                >I think my dentist used that on me a few weeks back!! Looks quite
                >nice tho!! Not sure if I should be excited about it, or get those
                >going to the dentist chills :)
                >
                >-Ray
                >www.conrailray.com
                >

                >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Scheuzger"
                ><tscheuzger@m...> wrote:
                >> Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:
                >>
                >> http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp
                >>
                >> Tom
                >>

                >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Arie Knoops
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Best I've ever used is the Foredom, made in the USA:

                  http://www.blackstoneind.com/ordermaxx/contentpage.asp

                  Tom

                  I agree with Tom on the Foredom, I use one at work whenever I'm making a
                  mount for a piece of art. We have one at the museum that is at least 15
                  years old and still going.
                  Arie
                • Peter Ibbotson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                    > I have been using Proxxon for a few years in my z-projects and can only
                    > praise their quality. Well designed and robust with nice accessories. My
                    > only complaint is that in their 12V drilling machine set, the included AC
                    > adapter does not give enough power for the heaviest jobs. I had to buy a
                    > bigger AC adapter which they sell separately.
                    >
                    > The website is here: http://www.proxxon.de
                    >
                    > Tapani Tuominen
                    > trains@...

                    Oh dear... At least on their retailers is close to me. I am now wondering
                    about some of their stuff for my next birthday present.
                    One big question is just how good the little bench stand that matches the
                    drill is?
                    My dremel clone that I bought isn't very good and I'm looking for a
                    replacement.

                    --
                    Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                    Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Apparently the once great Dremel company is failing miserably in
                      product quality. I have a Dremel and I dislike it. I am glad this
                      post came when it did for I am looking for a new rotary tool.
                      Thanks!
                      Tim
                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                        Years ago my dad tried to get a Dremel repaired by Dremel. They said in
                        order to keep costs low, it was not made to be taken apart and repaired.
                        They suggested he buy a new one. He did but different brand.

                        Don

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

                          > I have a Dremel and I dislike it.

                          Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                          I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                          doing very well what they're intented to do.
                          I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                          purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                          not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                          the long run, and the design shows all the
                          benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                          released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                          impressed with the performance and balance
                          of it. I'll get one...

                          Lajos
                        • Jeremy Brandon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                            > One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                            > matches the drill is?

                            I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                            and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                            the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                            have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                            chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                            tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                            use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                            the Proxxon.

                            expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                            Jeremy.
                          • Peter Ibbotson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                              >> One big question is just how good the little bench stand that
                              >> matches the drill is?
                              >
                              > I use the little bench stand for drilling PCBs with holes betweem 0.8
                              > and 1.8 mm using HSS and carbide drills. It works fine. I also have
                              > the large table saw for cutting PCBs. (Oops, mind your fingers!) I
                              > have a set of routing tools for the hand machine given to me by my
                              > chiropodist which are much better quality than the equivalent Proxxon
                              > tools. Sometimes the Proxxon hand machine seems to lack power - then I
                              > use another machine (from Aldi). I wish there was an on/off switch on
                              > the Proxxon.

                              > expensive tools are better than the cheaper ones.

                              PCB drilling was one use I was thinking of for a drill stand, I don't do it
                              at the moment but it is something I might do in the future. One thing I
                              might use a routing type tool for is cutting cases to put electronics into.
                              I really must do some more investigation, perhaps keep an eye out for a show
                              somewhere where folks are demonstrating.
                              --
                              Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                              Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                            • pray59_3
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2, 2005
                                I had a Dremel brand once. bought new 15 years ago. Within 6 months
                                it developed a mind ov it's own, turning itself on randomly when you
                                set it on a table, or after turning it off. I lived with it's danger
                                for a while.

                                I bought a Ryobi model 20 version about 10 years ago, and it has been
                                the most comfortable, balanced, and useful rotary tool I ever owned.
                                When Ryobi discontinued them 2 years ago, I searched out another new
                                one, to keep as a spare. I use it more than 10 times a week, and is
                                still going strong, but I have a spare.

                                I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                                duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                                kits. It's great, but I still use my Ryobi for heavier stuff like DCC
                                installs, andtrack laying tasks.

                                -Robert
                              • John Duino
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2005
                                  My 15 year old Dremel (well, Craftsman, but made by Dremel) recently
                                  'stopped spinning' although the motor was still whirring away. Two minutes
                                  with a screwdriver revealed the little flex coupling had weakened and slid
                                  off it's spurs. I jumped on Sear's website. There I found a nice exploded
                                  drawing with part numbers and 15 minutes later I had 2 parts on order for
                                  like $10 including shipping. Considering all tha I have done with (or
                                  rather, to) this tool, I can't say I'm upset with it at all.

                                  And my dad's dremel is now closer to 40 years old and still purring along.

                                  I also now own their new cordless lithium model for about a year. Good
                                  charge, good power, smoooooth running and very well balanced in the
                                  hand...probably more so than my corded model.

                                  I have no qualms recommending Dremel and do so regularly.

                                  Just my view of the world.

                                  John

                                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I have a Dremel and I dislike it.
                                  >
                                  > Any specifics? Which Dremel model is failing?
                                  > I have a 15 and a 2 years old Dremel, they're
                                  > doing very well what they're intented to do.
                                  > I've tried Proxxon's mid-priced tool when I
                                  > purchased my Proxxon "big" table saw, and I'm
                                  > not impressed. The Dremel tools cost less on
                                  > the long run, and the design shows all the
                                  > benefits of decades of experience. Dremel just
                                  > released a powerful cordless tool, I'm very
                                  > impressed with the performance and balance
                                  > of it. I'll get one...
                                  >
                                  > Lajos
                                • pbartonluttenton
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                                    What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made by
                                    the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                                    does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                                    name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                                    -> I recently bought the tiny Nail Drill, which is a very small
                                    > duplicate of a dremel, and use it for light duty Z Scale craftsman
                                    > kits.
                                    > -Robert
                                  • pray59_3
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4, 2005
                                      pbartonluttentonwrote:

                                      > What's a Nail Drill? A tiny dremel, you say, but I assume not made
                                      by
                                      > the same company that makes the Dremel Tool? Who makes it, and what
                                      > does it offer the scale modeler? Attachments? etc? Is it, as the
                                      > name suggests, intended for grooming fingernails?

                                      The nail drill I mentioned looks exactly like a regular variable
                                      speed Dremel, but is about 60% smaller, with slower speeds, and less
                                      power. It's nearly a scaled down replica, but mine has a label that
                                      says Pro Tool. They are designed for manicure use, but are very
                                      usefull for building Z Scale models. Drilling grab iron holes,
                                      sanding details, burrs, and milling away plastic for coupler mounting
                                      makes this too very usefull to me. The best part is the "Pencil Grip"
                                      position I can hold it in, while doing the job. You still need a
                                      powerful Dremel type tool for the really heavy duty jobs like milling
                                      out shells for decoder installation, etc.

                                      -Robert