re- turnouts

  • obin69@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2001
      Hi,

      There appear to be many references to the quality of turnouts in the
      zscale messages. What are the major problems with existing products,
      appearance, reliability or what?

      It is quite possible to build turnouts using a batch production
      method providing a 'master' can be made. Techniques would include
      flexible moulds and polyester type resins. The use of soldered
      construction is too labour intensive to be viable.

      Peter
    • Don Bouchard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
        Peter,
        The use of flexable molds have their place, turnouts should not be one of
        them in a production situations. Instead an injection mold could be produced
        that would produce very accurate parts(for less money than you would
        imagine). As far as soldering,I think your right, it is fine in very limited
        numbers or in very high production but in the numbers that would sell in Z
        scale I don't think it would be cost efficient.
        Don.
        >From: obin69@...
        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [z_scale] re- turnouts
        >Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:26:25 -0000

        Techniques would include
        >flexible moulds and polyester type resins. The use of soldered
        >construction is too labour intensive to be viable.
        >
        >Peter

      • Peter Wright
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
          Thanks for your comments Don. I had considered injection moulding but its
          use would be dependant on possile demand. Is there sufficient demand out
          there to make it a feasible proposition?

          At the moment I am working on producing high quality hand -built turnouts
          and possibly cross-overs.

          Keep in touch.

          Pete

          >From: "Don Bouchard" <dgbouchard@...>
          >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [z_scale] re- turnouts
          >Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:41:23 -0000
          >
          >Peter,
          > The use of flexable molds have their place, turnouts should not be one
          >of
          >them in a production situations. Instead an injection mold could be
          >produced
          >that would produce very accurate parts(for less money than you would
          >imagine). As far as soldering,I think your right, it is fine in very
          >limited
          >numbers or in very high production but in the numbers that would sell in Z
          >scale I don't think it would be cost efficient.
          >Don.
          > >From: obin69@...
          > >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [z_scale] re- turnouts
          > >Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:26:25 -0000
          > >
          >Techniques would include
          > >flexible moulds and polyester type resins. The use of soldered
          > >construction is too labour intensive to be viable.
          > >
          > >Peter

        • Don Bouchard
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            Hi Peter,
            A prototype injection mold for Z turn outs would cost between 1500 & 2500
            from someone like me that builds them on the side of their full time job,
            depending on the size of the mold base required. At this cost, it could take
            a while to recoup tooling costs. Add to this the cost of the production run
            and packaging/assembly and you would have a stiff initial investment. That
            said, I imagine that most of the Z scalers that have layouts would cough up
            a fare price for a turnout or cross over that demonstrated a high mark of
            reliability.
            Don.
            Rantings from the Pacific NorthWest.