MTL Cars

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2005
      Hello all,

      today I got a 13003 Gunderson Husky-Stack Well car from MTL, via the
      place not to be mentioned here ( ;-) just writing EBay would have used
      much less file size... SCNR).

      But back to topic...

      ...there are three things I observed.

      First: the cars seems to be a lot heavier than a Marklin car (since
      there are no Maerklin Gunderson Husky, I compared with the 8714 car
      carrier inclusive 8 cars, which should have approximately the same
      weight)

      Is this common for MTL cars to be heavier than a comparable Maerklin
      car (boxcar versus boxcar)?

      Second: the container following with the Gunderson are not compatible
      with the container that came with the container car in my start set
      81861 (yellow with "Im Dienst für den Umwelschutz"). The MTL Container
      are a wee bit wider and longer than the Marklin container. Therefor
      they can't be mixed as a load. Hey that's what containers are made
      for in the first place if I remember correctly...

      Third: as you can see by the MTL item# the car came with a Maerklin
      style coupler. But I saw in the paper that followed with the car, that
      the sping inside the coupler is a bit different from the on Maerklin
      uses.

      Is there a way to change to a "real" Marklin coupler if I'm dump
      enough to destroy the coupler?

      All in all I'm very pleased with the car, it looks great, rolls great,
      and the details are just perfect.

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
        Uwe,

        Most MT cars are lighter than Marklin's. The Gunderson is an exception since
        the frame is all metal and not plastic.

        It is not surprising that the containers do not work together. Marklin and MT
        have their own standards based on each's own designs. A little modification
        to the containers will allow you to use them together.

        The MT Marklin coupler should work very well with regular Marklin couplers. I
        use MT's Marklin style couplers with Marklin couplers all the time without
        issue. I would not spend the time to replace with a real Marklin coupler.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
          Hello Rob,

          Thank you for your reply

          > It is not surprising that the containers do not work together.
          > Marklin and MT have their own standards based on each's own designs.
          > A little modification to the containers will allow you to use them
          > together.

          I can understand that both companys have their own standards, but as I
          understand it containers are standard all over the world (except that
          I believe I've heard about 60' containers in the US, which isn't a
          worldwide standard CMIIW), so if you scale 'em down to 1:220 they
          should be the same in wide, lenght and height. If they were, then they
          would be compatible, since they both companys use the same pin - hole
          system to prevent them from slipping away from the car and each
          other...

          > The MT Marklin coupler should work very well with regular Marklin
          > couplers. I use MT's Marklin style couplers with Marklin couplers
          > all the time without issue. I would not spend the time to replace
          > with a real Marklin coupler.

          Neither would I, this was a question for just in case I'm dumb enough
          to damage a coupler. Hopefully I won''t do that. Until now they work
          great together.

          I'm busy at the moment, but I will look into the chat later.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
            This was discussed when MTL container cars first came
            out. MTL uses another STANDARD for containers. Both
            are correct standards. Check the archvies for the
            discussion.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Randy Smidt
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
              I'll have to get out my calipers to check on this later today, but I thought when this came up when the MTL husky stacks first came out some had commented that the Marklin containers actually scaled out undersized even for a 40' container. Wasn't there something in ZTrack comparing containers also?

              Randy Smidt
              Springfield, VA

              This was discussed when MTL container cars first came
              out. MTL uses another STANDARD for containers. Both
              are correct standards. Check the archvies for the
              discussion.

              --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

              > Hello Rob,
              >
              > Thank you for your reply
              >
              > > It is not surprising that the containers do not
              > work together.
              > > Marklin and MT have their own standards based on
              > each's own designs.
              > > A little modification to the containers will allow
              > you to use them
              > > together.
              >
              > I can understand that both companys have their own
              > standards, but as I
              > understand it containers are standard all over the
              > world (except that
              > I believe I've heard about 60' containers in the US,
              > which isn't a
              > worldwide standard CMIIW), so if you scale 'em down
              > to 1:220 they
              > should be the same in wide, lenght and height. If
              > they were, then they
              > would be compatible, since they both companys use
              > the same pin - hole
              > system to prevent them from slipping away from the
              > car and each
              > other...
              >
              > > The MT Marklin coupler should work very well with
              > regular Marklin
              > > couplers. I use MT's Marklin style couplers with
              > Marklin couplers
              > > all the time without issue. I would not spend the
              > time to replace
              > > with a real Marklin coupler.
              >
              > Neither would I, this was a question for just in
              > case I'm dumb enough
              > to damage a coupler. Hopefully I won''t do that.
              > Until now they work
              > great together.
              >
              > I'm busy at the moment, but I will look into the
              > chat later.
              >
              > --
              > GreetingZ
              > Uwe

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
                --- ztrack@... a écrit :

                > Uwe,
                >
                > It is not surprising that the containers do not work
                > together. Marklin and MT
                > have their own standards based on each's own
                > designs. A little modification
                > to the containers will allow you to use them
                > together.

                Just for information, it should be noticed that FR
                Models' Gundersons work with Marklin containers.

                Dominique