New to the Group

  • Marshall Schneider
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 25, 2005
      Hi All,

      Just thought a little intro might be in order. I "played" with Z scale
      about 6 years ago when I was in school but got in over my budget of
      time and money with an insanely complex layout that I have been toting
      around with me unfinished ever since.

      Well, last weekend I took the track off of that layout and bought
      myself a piece of 2.5'x5' blue foam and designed a simple, one level,
      no hidden staging, no train detection plan that I think I can
      implement. I also got some Woodland Scenic starter sets to learn
      scenery as I never got to that on my "monster" layout.

      So now I am happily laying road bed in hopes that I may be running
      trains inside of 2 days. What a relief after working and working and
      working on plywood benchwork, soldering, etc. on my last layout and
      never having a full loop of track for running. Sure I could run a train
      back and forth on a section of track, but forget about it or let it run
      a little too far and WHAM, my little z scale jewel fell from a 660' (in
      scale) cliff!! Luckily, I did not wreck any equipment this way.

      I have a question but will post it seprately so it gets its due.

      THanks for your time,

      Marshall
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 25, 2005
        Welcome aboard!
        Tim
      • rondmeyersr
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
          Hi from Texas!

          My family and I attended the WGH show in Houston last
          weekend and I was VERY impressed with the quality of Z scale.
          I've been out of the hobby for nearly 10 years and things have
          changed! I used to model in N-Scale but am wondering if I could
          get some information about how to get started in Z. I am
          interested in N. American prototypes so anyhelp on websites,
          publications, homepages manufacturers (who makes great stuff
          and who should I stay away from...) etc, so any help would be
          greatly appreciated.

          BTW, I would like to hear from Z-scalers in or around the
          Houston, Texas.

          Ron
        • Stephen Moore
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
            Hi Ron, welcome back to railroading and to Z scale.
            I feel one of the best things you could do, is get in contact with
            and hang out and possibly join up with the Z guys from northwest
            crossing there in houston. There a good group of guys, and will tell
            you every thing you did and did not want to know about Z. lol...:)
            You are coming into Z at an excellent time, with the new releases of
            the micro trains products and the birth of several affordable options
            made to us in Z.
            This group is an excellent source of information as well.
            Review the Links, files, database and photos area in detail and you
            will see a lot of great information about manufacturers and do's and
            don'ts of Z. There are also several manufacturers on this site that
            let us in on the up and comings of Z.

            If you have a specific question, holler it out here any time, and you
            will get many great responses.
            I am glad you came by to see us in houston, I am with the texas and
            beyond from plano/dallas area that was down there with our layout.

            Stephen
            Plano, TX.

          • zbendtrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2006
              Ron:

              > BTW, I would like to hear from Z-scalers in or around the
              > Houston, Texas.

              Oh, you will. <smile> Watch your mailbox.

              Bill K.
              Houston

            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
                Ron,

                Welcome to Z scale! There are quite a few Z scalers in the Houston area. I
                know Bill K has already contacted you. As for web sites, check out:
                www.ztrains.com

                This is a good site for beginners plus a series of wonderful articles.

                Another great site is: http://www.zscale.org/

                Again, wonderful articles and a great resource.

                For publications, check out our web site, www.ztrack.com. We have the
                world's largest magazine dedicated to Z scale model railroading. We also
                distributor American Z Line locomotives.

                There are numerous manufacturers offering products for Z scale. The major
                rolling stock manufacturers include Micro-Trains, Marklin, FR, Pennzee, Father
                Nature, Z Thek and of course AZL.

                Have fun!
                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                http://www.ztrack.com/
                Distributor for American Z Line

              • David George
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 17, 2006
                  Ron,
                  I believe Jerry introduced us on Sunday at WGHShow.
                  As I told you ,,please contact me to come to my home to see my Zscale rolling stock and the working tools , methods and supplies I use for building a layout or a start-up module.
                  I think we live in same section of the greater Houston area.
                  I'll be more than happy to assist you.

                  dgeorge24619@...

                  Cordially,
                  Mister Dave

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 15 2:45 PM
                    Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.

                    Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.
                  • Don Fedjur
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 15 4:44 PM
                      Be very afraid............very afraid. NOT

                      If you have run before in the other scales and have experience with DCC, you should definitely focus on DCC for this new Z-Scale layout. Besides it being easier to wire and work with, the awesome capability of running multiple trains at the same time will hook you even harder than when you first viewed the GP-35. By the way, The MTL GP-35 is an excellent way to get started with DCC in Z. Don't forget, you can still run it DC and DCC operation.

                      Plan your work, work your plan. Use good track planning software, Anyrail is the way to go.

                      Have fun................

                      Don

[...]

                    • Alan Cox
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 15 4:52 PM
                        On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:45:29 -0000
                        "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos

                        The modern MTL locos run well but Z demands good track laying and
                        cleanliness even more than N.

                        DCC in Z is much more of a challenge - lot less space, much fiddlier and
                        some of the parts you may need if you lose a spring or something are way
                        harder to get than Kato or Bachmann spares.

                        As to DCC sound.. thats really for the totally insane in Z, although
                        pretty easy in N nowdays.

                        Alan
                      • thewag013
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 15 6:25 PM
                          Well howdy neighbor! Said with my not so best southern drawl. I'm
                          next door in Kernersville. I've got some modules I've shown at the
                          two Thompson's shows in Winston-Salem the past falls. Still not much
                          more than the plywood pacific, but growing. Always glad to hear about
                          Z in the area...especially the NEAR area.

                          Ben

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
                          >
                          > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

                        • mark2playz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 16 7:49 AM
                            Hi Garden,
                            Welcome to modeling Z. Nearly all your questions can be answered with: "It depends...". Choices for track or throttles or layout techniques really depends on what you want your layout to be, what your modeling skills are, what you'd like your skills to become and how much time and money you want to invest.
                            In Z you'll find briefcase layouts, coffee table layouts (I've done a couple of these) to basement size, fantasy versus prototypical. It would seem from that from your CP comment, that you're leaning toward the prototypical. The smaller layouts tend to be battery powered and larger trend toward DCC.
                            If you want to get up and running quickly, the roadbed sectional track from MTL or Rokuhan are decent choices, although using MTL or Pecos flex track or hand-laid track, while much more time consuming, will give better looking results.
                            The GP9/GP35 from MTL are good running "second generation" units and run well on clean, well-laid track. I'm happy with mine. AZL has brought out what could be called "third generation" GPs that IMHO run exceptionally well, matching anything in the larger scales. I believe they have a CP GP38-2 you might find interesting.
                            My rules for Z scale modeling are:
                            It can never be too clean.
                            Always use a 1/32" or finer metal ruler.
                            "Close enough", "flat enough" or "straight enough" generally isn't.

                            Hope this helps,
                            Mark

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

                            > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
                            >
                            > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

                          • Mack Canady
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 16 8:10 AM
                              Thanks for your input Mark.

                              Mack

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 16 2:55 PM
                                Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
                                I do not model american but the principals are the same

                                Regards Ralph

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

                                > Hi, I am new to the group but not so new to Z-Scale. I have been collecting Z scale locos and rolling stock for several years. I currently live in Greensboro, NC and am getting ready to start construction my first layout. It will be a small one for sure. I did belong to a "N" and "Z" scale club in the Dallas area for awhile but never really considered "Z" scale as an option until Micro Trains came out with the GP35 in CP Rail. Once I saw it run I was hooked. For the most part what I had observed running on the clubs Z layouts didn't run very well or at least not like the Kato and Atlas locos on the "N" Scale side of the room. I am sure I will be asking for advice starting with track, switches and good reliable clean DC power. I am not really thinking about DCC yet, at least not for my first layout. I have some of the MT snap track but I got it mostly for test runs of new locos.
                                >
                                > Any help or advice you might offer would certainly be appreciated.

                              • Gardenrails
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 16 3:32 PM
                                  Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
                                  > I do not model american but the principals are the same
                                  >
                                  > Regards Ralph
                                • mark2playz
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 17 7:36 AM
                                    Mack,
                                    The Zephyr set is great for a small layout, I've run mine for years off and on on small layouts and modeling parts of its route in California has been my main interest in recent years. Couple thoughts for you.
                                    If you haven't run the Zephyr engine much, it may be a victim of "harden oil syndrome" (HOS). Early on, Marklin used a lubricant that doesn't age well. So, check the gears for a waxy build-up and if so, clean and re-lub.
                                    Also, the Marklin F7 doesn't DCC very easily, so you'll probably want to keep it DC.

                                    Mark

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Gardenrails <gardenrails@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Zepher so I assume that would be sufficient for a small layout.
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On Mar 16, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Ralph" <ralph.scott@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hi there ! I too would recomend you go DCC from the start. It makes life so much easier. A Few simple rules will give rewarding performance. Make sure you lay and join your track as perfectly as possible and keep any gradients to 2.5% or less. Do not use abrasives to clean the track. Going small for a start is also a good idea but make your design easily expandable. I would also recomend using a dust cover over the layout when you are not using it.
                                    > > I do not model american but the principals are the same
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards Ralph

                                  • Don Avila
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 17 7:59 AM
                                      DCCing can be done as Glen Chenier did both a F7A & F7B for me a number of
                                      years ago. More recently Don Fedjur has done a number of engines for me
                                      and based upon the ultra fine detail ditch lights he put in one I would
                                      suspect he also could do the Marklins. Also consider putting in a decoder
                                      in one or two cars behind the engine, such as steam. It does require
                                      permanent coupling, but IMHO that is a very minor problem.

                                      --
                                      *...don a * * **- Northern Ohio, USA*

                                    • Jeff Thompson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 17 4:41 PM
                                        Welcome! I visited your area a few weeks ago, and came across rolling stock
                                        from this line - Aberedeen & Rockfish Railroad Co.:

                                        http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/

                                        They also have a subsidiary line - the Pee Dee River Line:

                                        http://www.aberdeen-rockfish.com/html/pdrr-home.html

                                        They are both only a couple of hours south of Greensboro. I don't know what
                                        you are planning on modeling, but you said you were planning on going small.
                                        You could almost do both lines, in their entirety, on a couple of modules.
                                        ;-)

                                        Seriously, welcome to Z!! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of a GREAT
                                        hobby!

                                        Jeff T

                                        ZoCal

                                      • Gardenrails
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 17 5:22 PM
                                          Thanks Jeff. We hope to get out on the bike and go see the Aberdeen & Rockfish as well as the Aberdeen, Carolina & Western RR. As far as modeling it will be CP, CN and BCRail
                                          Sent from my iPhone