Re: The Scheinenzeppelin

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 1999
      Hey Jacob,

      There is a Rail Zeppelin being offered on eBay.com at the moment. There is
      a picture of it although not all that useful for judging details. If you
      check the completed auctions search list for the 8876 you might come up with
      a few other pics. From what I gather the 8876 in Z is true to scale, that
      is it is not forshortened as is the case with the HO version. Several units
      have been sold on eBay this year. I suggest that you check the completed
      list again and contact the buyers or sellers by email and ask for their
      opinions.

      I will not offer an uneducated opinion concerning the other questions that
      you asked since I have never seen one in operation.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      >From: Jacob Munkhammar <jacob@...>
      >To: z_scale@onelist.com
      >Subject: [z_scale] The Scheinenzeppelin
      >Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:39:04 +0200
      >
      >From: Jacob Munkhammar <jacob@...>
      >
      >I'm considering buying a Rail Zeppelin (#8876, one of my little loves), but
      >have never seen or run any, so I have two questions.
      >
      >1) Someone told me the detailing isn't impressive. I only want it if it
      >looks good; does it?
      >
      >2) It has only two, fixed axles and a *very* long distance between the
      >axles; how sharp turns can it navigate? (Regardless of what may look silly
      >- there are tunnels ;-) (M�rklin's HO version is shortened (and thus out of
      >scale) and has two two-axle boogies, to make it a better model RR runner.)
      >
      >The Rail Zeppelin is perfect for my layout; wouldn't mind having two
      >actually. If I can only get it through my extreme tunnels...
      >
      >Happy for any thoughts,
      >
      >/Jacob

      > - - - Jacob Munkhammar - - - jacob@... - - -
      > - ARCHITECTURE - DESIGN - COMP.SOFTWARE - WRITING -
      > mail: Arkitekt Christies gate 4b, N-7012 Trondheim, Norway
      > www: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~jacob/

      >What do fashion and football have in common?
      >http://www.onelist.com
      >They both have communities at ONElist. Find yours today!

      >Z Scale RULES!
    • Manfred Gottschalch
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 1999
        Hi Jacob,
        I have a rail zep in HO. I did not know that it was shortened. In any
        case When I tried to run it on a test track of old Mtrack it did not do
        very well. The curves tend to slow it down a lot. The track came from an
        old set in the days when there was only one curve type. it may run
        better on the more modern track with a wide radius.

        As far as the Zgauge one goes I would like one also, and may get lucky
        some day. I would think that the same would apply to it, ie. on a tight
        curve it will tend to slow down because of it's length. No first hand
        experiance, just a guess based on the HO model and physics.

        Let me know of any info you get on it please.
        --
        Manfred Gottschalch
        Finance & Accounting Records Mgr.

        Ph: (352) 392-2329
        Fax: (352) 392-3831
        Suncom: 622-2329
        e-mail megott@...
      • Jacob Munkhammar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 1999
          >From: Manfred Gottschalch <megott@...>
          >
          >I have a rail zep in HO. I did not know that it was shortened.

          So I have read and heard, anyway. Compare yours with the Z-scale model on
          this page:
          http://www.hhmueller.com/z/schienen.htm

          I have studied photos of the real thing and I noted that in some pictures
          it has a four-bladed propellor, in others a two-bladed.
          Also, the right side windows seem to change (rear ones covered on the
          two-bladed version).
          But there was only one original one, right?

          /Jacob